stinkyho

Cocking your pilot chute (when?)

Seems silly to think that's "just as good" when it's easier, requires fewer steps and and you don't have to reach up around your pack job when you cock the p/c earlier. The simplest way with no down side is the more correct of the two ways. Unless you can show me a definite advantage to doing it your way, I stand by my earlier statement.;)

Actually, had you read my post, you'd know I said that I cock it before it goes in the bag.

I was only pointing out there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Just because you do it one way, doesn't make it the best way. People that have been doing it for years might be better/faster doing it that way.

If I bag my canopy by psycho packing it, and it takes slightly longer, but in the end, it's the same result, am I doing it wrong? No.

Is flat packing a canopy wrong just because it's slower and different? No.

I was taught to do it before putting the canopy in the bag, but mine often did what you mention, and would not show color anymore. So, I now don't cock it until it's in the bag.

That is the wrong way to do it. It's possible to get kill line wrapped around some of the canopy when you cock after bagging. You say you weren't seeing the color in the window the old way? I bet you were cocking it past the colored part is all. Cock it completely, then color it with your own marker.

For years I jumped rigs with no cocking window. You just made sure you did it when you packed, and double checked it as you packed. ;)

BTW, I cock mine after I lay the canopy down, as I'm preparing the bag right before S-folding.

I would cock it and see color, pack, and find that it had moved and I had to recock it to get the color back. Mine is also an RI with the enclosed kill line. Even with that, I am careful as I put it in the bag to keep it unencumbered. I think it is less likely to snag fabric than an exposed kill line, but I AM a bit anal ... LOL!! Is it really a problem even with the enclosed kill line setups?
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I don't understand why anyone would cock the pilot chute multiple times.

It really only adds another 20 secs to your pack job.

I cock mine twice. Once before it goes in the bag and once after.
I've found that it does move slightly during packing, maybe not enough to cause a PCIT but having had one of those before, don't want one again.
If my routine is always to do it twice, plus a pin check, it won't happen again.

It really only adds another 20 secs to your pack job.

I cock mine twice. Once before it goes in the bag and once after.
I've found that it does move slightly during packing, maybe not enough to cause a PCIT but having had one of those before, don't want one again.
If my routine is always to do it twice, plus a pin check, it won't happen again.

Did you have a PCIT because you forgot to cock the PC?

Curious because if you cock it once per pack job you won't have a PCIT caused by an uncocked PC. Correct? So, I still don't see the logic behind cocking twice. Do you set your brakes twice? ;)

With that said, if it works for you don't change...although packing quickly and efficiently is important to some...

Yeah, the kill line can move...thus the logic behind cocking the pc just before putting the bag in the container.

I just cock it good (as I always do B|) before I S-fold the main and put it in the D-bag... Then I just double check for color when I close the container and route the bridle. That and pin checks are good enough for me... To each their own though... :)

BTW, I cock mine after I lay the canopy down, as I'm preparing the bag right before S-folding.

So do i, then i cock it again once i'm ready to stow the bag in the container, the line does sometimes slip/slide an little
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can not think of a scarier malfunction of throwing out a uncock PC, besides maybe a horse shoe.

By checking and doing it multiple times I am insuring that I will not forget it.

Seems like a waste of time and effort.

Same can be said about checking your cypres and reserve pin before every jump.

Do you set your brakes twice? ;)

Why, yes I do!

Once on the left side, once on the right side!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Do you set your brakes twice? ;)
With that said, if it works for you don't change...although packing quickly and efficiently is important to some...

Yeah, the kill line can move...thus the logic behind cocking the pc just before putting the bag in the container.

Set brakes twice?:D:D I like that. No, but I do check them after I set them. Do you?;)

Quick, efficient, reliable, simple . . . those are words that mean, that while many ways will probably suffice, what is the best way? And I agree, cock the p/c right before you put the canopy in the bag. Then have a way to double check it. I always snatch my pilot chute towards me quickly before I stow it. If it inflates, it's good to go. :)

I cock the pilot chute before bagging the main.
Bag main,stow line and close the container, then a sharp yank of the pilot chute bridle so to inflate pilot chute prior to folding the pilot chute and 'S'ing the bridle and stowing in BOC.
Also i check the window on my bridle for 'green' = go V3
Mirage was 'blue' for go. White in window = no go
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I cock it right after I lay the folded canopy down and before I put the canopy in the D-Bag, same time I change any elastics if need be . Just once.

The way I pack my pilotchute, insures that it is cocked, I lay it out ZP side down and I pull the bridle attachment point to the outside edge, you can't do that if it's not cocked, then fold the pilotchute in half and I finish folding yada yada. I use to never care too much about the window cause I figured after 12 inches of cock, 1 inch more or less won't make a hell of a difference. But started paying attention on every pin check cause I do get packers from time to time and shouldn't get complacent because of the way I pack my pilotchute.

I figured after 12 inches of cock, 1 inch more or less won't make a hell of a difference.

Thats what she said!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If your kill line moves enough to cause a problem after you've cocked the pilot chute once then either your kill line is too short or you fling your d-bag around when folding the canopy in some weird way that I'm not familiar with.

I cock the pilot chute once before bagging. Before folding the pilot chute at the end I hold the handle away from the bridle and look inside the pilot chute to make sure that the binding tape that attaches the bridle to the handle goes under tension and that the kill line does not.

I can not think of a scarier malfunction of throwing out a uncock PC, besides maybe a horse shoe.

By checking and doing it multiple times I am insuring that I will not forget it.

Seems like a waste of time and effort.

Same can be said about checking your cypres and reserve pin before every jump.

Nope you got it wrong. I never proposed not checking the kill line window (or cypres and reserve pin). In fact, as I mentioned, that's an integral part of preflighting your gear, every jump, before donning the rig. I do it every jump and hope you do as well. None of that is a waste of time and I never suggested it was. Cocking you pilot chute multiple times is however.

The logic of your procedure is somewhat flawed. Rather, by cocking the PC once in a well thought out and systematic packing procedure, then properly preflighting your gear, you ensure the PC is cocked. With your logic, you could cock the PC a hundred times per pack job but in reality it need only be done once.

I'm checklist and procedure oriented, habits learned as a pilot and and during a lengthy military career. As an example, when I preflight an airplane (that is much more complex than any skydiving system), I always check the fuel levels before flying...once. I do it the same way every time. I just follow the checklist or procedure, which ensures I get it correct. I never check the fuel level twice, waste of time.

I transpose that methodology to skydiving, as do many. Still, if cocking your PC 2 or 100 times each pack job works for you, please continue. I just chafe at the notion that teaching cocking your PC multiple times is necessary, because it's simply not true...

Sometime before putting it in the BOC...

Seriously, just cock the thing at the same time every time you pack, and after you stuff in in the boc check for color... If none, pull it out and give it a tug. I swear people complicate this sport way to much, it's pretty damn simple in the grand scheme of things!

So heres a question for all you continual cock checkers...
What happens when after you've done your normal packjob, with all its normal cock checks, however many and in whatever way you like to do them. You are then on the flightline about to board or at altitude about to exit and you ask for a pin check. During the check the guy says "there's no colour in the window", what do you do?
Do you not board or not exit the plane? My god, please think of the children.
So you've packed, you've done about 10 cock checks during that pack, you know you've checked the cock, the cock is OK, but somehow right at the critical moment there's no colour in the window. My god, can someone please explain what to do now, it doesn't bear thinking about. I can't imagine a more horrifying situaton. Please help!

I was thinking the same. Depending how the fabric around the kill line is spread out, you may or may not see the color in the window. If you have a good routine, color or not you know if it is cocked or not.

Easy check: before rolling the PC, hold it upside down. if the kill line is stretched (it holds the weight of the handle), it is not cocked fully.