stinkyho

Cocking your pilot chute (when?)

So the other day I packed the chute and placed the bag into the container. I then noticed I saw no blue indicating the pilot chute was cocked.

Now, this has happened before, but the blue was always right below the window, so it was really cocked, just the line moved a little while packing.

This time was a full-on forgot to cock the pilot chute thing.

So I just cocked it then (thank God I really checked it).

I was thinking though, could the kill line (or whatever it's called) trap some parachute material in it when you cock it this way? All I could think was that it might actually rip a whole in the fabric or whatever.

It turned out okay, but can a pilot chute always be cocked in a safe manner when the canopy is already in the bag?

So the other day I packed the chute and placed the bag into the container. I then noticed I saw no blue indicating the pilot chute was cocked.

Now, this has happened before, but the blue was always right below the window, so it was really cocked, just the line moved a little while packing.

This time was a full-on forgot to cock the pilot chute thing.

So I just cocked it then (thank God I really checked it).

I was thinking though, could the kill line (or whatever it's called) trap some parachute material in it when you cock it this way? All I could think was that it might actually rip a whole in the fabric or whatever.

It turned out okay, but can a pilot chute always be cocked in a safe manner when the canopy is already in the bag?

I cock my pc 3 times during the packjob, just incase it gets pulled back just a little bit.

1: after laying the canopy down, before s-folding
2: after first locking stows
3: just before putting in the container.

Also might want to have a rigger look at your kill line, as they do shrink with age (read: jumps) and it might be a good idea to look at replacing it. IIRC the coloring in the kill line is suppossed to be something like 2" in length, with the middle being the starting point, going an inch either way.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was taught to do it before putting the canopy in the bag, but mine often did what you mention, and would not show color anymore. So, I now don't cock it until it's in the bag.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

You are right it. The kill line can snag the parachute if cocked after the canopy is in the bag. It is usually not very likely but it can happen. I have seen and repaired damage from this exact thing.

I have a vector that has an enclosed bridle in the dbag but i still believe it si a good idea to cock it before putting the canopy in the bag, I do this out of habit also.

I always cock again once I put the d-bag in the container before closing and find most of the time it has crept out a little bit.

Doing it after the locking stow as well seems a little excessive to me, as long as you have done it before it goes in the bag and before you close the container, but having said that, there is probably no such thing as checking too much.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Doing it after the locking stow as well seems a little excessive to me, as long as you have done it before it goes in the bag and before you close the container, but having said that, there is probably no such thing as checking too much.

Its easier to take the canopy back out if you dont have to unstow and re-stow all of the lines. Sometimes the kill line can get wrapped around the side of the canopy if you're not paying attention to it when you bag it. (Atleast I have seen it happen).

If I stopped doing one of them, it would be the last one, and usually once I put the bag in the container I check the PC by picking it up and yanking it down to make sure it creates drag.

Or I'm OCD... something like that.:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You could also cock it and tie your bridal in a half hitch knot to prevent it from being pulled back in, but remember to untie it when you're about to close the container.

My God I hope nobody takes this advice seriously.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You could also cock it and tie your bridal in a half hitch knot to prevent it from being pulled back in, but remember to untie it when you're about to close the container.

Whats wrong with it? I was taugh it and used it several times with no issues. If there is a valid reason for it, let me know, I'm not trying to screw anyone up.

ETA: Crap, I meant slip knot... Ill try to fix the other post, unless thats a bad idea as well

Whats wrong with it? I was taugh it and used it several times with no issues. If there is a valid reason for it, let me know, I'm not trying to screw anyone up.

ETA: Crap, I meant slip knot... Ill try to fix the other post, unless thats a bad idea as well

Sounds like a terrible, terrible idea to me.
If you cock your chute ahead of time, I think the packing it with the line showing little/ no blue with the blue just beyond the window can pretty much guarantee the pilot is cocked.

Tying your pilot chute into any type of knot sounds like a very bad idea in any situation. Maybe I'm wrong.

I was taught to do it before putting the canopy in the bag, but mine often did what you mention, and would not show color anymore. So, I now don't cock it until it's in the bag.

That is the wrong way to do it. It's possible to get kill line wrapped around some of the canopy when you cock after bagging. You say you weren't seeing the color in the window the old way? I bet you were cocking it past the colored part is all. Cock it completely, then color it with your own marker.

For years I jumped rigs with no cocking window. You just made sure you did it when you packed, and double checked it as you packed. ;)

BTW, I cock mine after I lay the canopy down, as I'm preparing the bag right before S-folding.

That is the wrong way to do it. It's possible to get kill line wrapped around some of the canopy when you cock after bagging.

There is no right or wrong way, they both work provided you take proper precautions. If you cock it after it's bagged, you must make sure no material has been grabbed, it's that simple. Mind you, I cock mine as soon as I lay the canopy down, I don't see any reason to do an extra step (clearing fabric).

That is the wrong way to do it. It's possible to get kill line wrapped around some of the canopy when you cock after bagging.

There is no right or wrong way, they both work provided you take proper precautions. If you cock it after it's bagged, you must make sure no material has been grabbed, it's that simple. Mind you, I cock mine as soon as I lay the canopy down, I don't see any reason to do an extra step (clearing fabric).

And how do you insure that? I can tell when some extra crap is caught in the kill line, but how do you keep it from happening?

WTF? I have packed 3 step throughs and even I know that is not right...actually about as wrong as you can get.....but then again I have packed myself 3 step-throughs....:S

EDIT: FYI all 3 were done AFTER it was in the dbag..I know how to thread my lines....pretty hard not to see it there...an AWESOME dude named Montana spotted my problem right away....
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

And how do you insure that? I can tell when some extra crap is caught in the kill line, but how do you keep it from happening?

you buy a vector! :P
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

??? I am confused....

buy a vector so I can wait till the canopy is in the dbag before I cock my pilot chute?

Or cuz I can use my vector for up to 90 days and return it for a full refund cuz they don't really need my $.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Vectors have enclosed kill line in the dbag so it is basically impossible for the kill line to grab the canopy if it is cocked with when the canopy is already in the dbag.

The bridle is also a sheath around the kill line in there.

Havng said that I always cock it before putting it in the bag, I always have and always will do it in that order.

the old man is correct, half hitch or a slip knot are not correct, it is best to daisy chain the bridle, that prevents the kill line from slipping and it is much easier to pack in the BOC, this is especially critical when you are in the base on a big way and you are the person signaling breakoff, throw out the pilot chute and it will have the required extra seconds of snivel time allowing the outside slackers to dock
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

You reach to the bottom of the bag, and separate the fabric from the kill line...

Seems silly to think that's "just as good" when it's easier, requires fewer steps and and you don't have to reach up around your pack job when you cock the p/c earlier. The simplest way with no down side is the more correct of the two ways. Unless you can show me a definite advantage to doing it your way, I stand by my earlier statement.;)

I do mine twice:
1. stow the brakes, un-collapse the slider, cock the PC before starting to pack.
2. after laying down the flaked canopy, I get the bag ready, and cock check the PC again.

I don't like doing it after it is bagged, because I don't want the kill like to tug/pull/burn the nylon as it moves from in the bag with the canopy.

the old man is correct, half hitch or a slip knot are not correct, it is best to daisy chain the bridle, that prevents the kill line from slipping and it is much easier to pack in the BOC, this is especially critical when you are in the base on a big way and you are the person signaling breakoff, throw out the pilot chute and it will have the required extra seconds of snivel time allowing the outside slackers to dock

My nomination for best post of the day... so far.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I don't understand why anyone would cock the pilot chute multiple times. Seems like a waste of time and effort. I cock the pilot chute once. I check the window again as part of my preflight gear check, ensuring I did not forget, immediately prior to putting on my rig. If cocking the pilot chute multiple times is what works for you, okay, but there are more efficient solutions perhaps.

Get into a routine or pattern and pack the same every time to help avoid forgetting improtant stuff. I cock the pilot chute right before placing the bag in the container and don't worry at all about catching material in the kill line as I jump a Talon FX which, of course, has an enclosed kill line. There's a reason why vector, talon and others have an enclosed kill line... Personally, I like the R.I. enclosed bridle PC and bridle but there are others that seem to work just as nicely.