MattMazzocco

MR Bill

Ok, so ill just start with this...

I am THINKING about doing a MR Bill with a friend of mine this weekend. I have been giving alot of thought to this, and i have come up with some very bad worst case scenarios. I have about 300 jumps now, I am 6'4 weigh about 200 lbs, and the other jumper is about 5'6 probably 100 lbs. I fly a sabre 1 190 and would like to hear from people who have done this kind of jump before, or someone who knows better than me.

Basically im looking for someone to either talk me out of it if this is something that is just too unsafe, or if it is something that can be done safely i am looking for advice on how to keep it safe.

Keep in mind, im not a 100 jump wonder looking to pull off the next badass stunt. I have wanted to do this since i started jumping, and unfortunately its something i will most likely never experience myself because of my size, but i wouldnt mind participating.

Im also not one of those guys thats gonna do it either way and looking for someone to support me. Im looking for honest, experienced answers because i am not as experienced as many of you out there are. Im not looking for stupid trolls to come derail this thread, im looking for blunt, honest advice on this and possibly some different perspectives on the safety of this, and worst case scenarios..

Thank you.

Have an IAD Jumpmaster IAD you, Seriously.

Far more effective for a Mr. Bill than Shortlining....

Also talk to those on your DZ who have done it before as there and have them walk through exits/grips/etc.

Have fun. They are a blast when they work.

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Experienced many Mr. Bill jumps from both ends and my last one was good enough to know when to quit.

IAD dispatched but we were tipping over on our side just as we left the plane. Riser caught the side of the tray on opening. Had no idea at all what happened until I landed and started to repack.

Can you imagine what would have happened if the reserve came out of the bottom of the reserve container and inflated? What a tangled mess the reserve would have been.

BTW, main was a Saber-190 and a PDR-193.

I did one when I had about 150 jumps -- after talking to and getting advice from everyone on the DZ who had successfully completed one. We used my Sabre2 260. Deployed right out the door and had a pretty hard opening. We both got all bruised up in the legs and ankles as we were pulled apart very kinetically. I had tension knots and a partially inflated main spinning pretty good that I ended up cutting away. I landed my Reserve, survived; got all my gear back and retired from the Mr. Bill business. I won't try another one . . . . I am a much smarter skydiver after another 700 jumps.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Just did one with the GF yesterday that went sweet (her first!). I've done about a dozen over the years, but it's been about 10 years since the last time.

Spent the time to walk through the grips, exit and "unusual situations" and had her do chin-ups (with gear) to show how much upper-body strength she had.

The preparation and planning paid off and she had a hoot.

Blue ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

They are a lot of fun, but they are also risky in a lot of ways. If you are ok with that... then go for it.

My first attempt I learned some of the risks the hard way, and was lucky that I didn't get hurt. Cliff's notes version: On opening shock I was gone. There was no time for trying to hold on tighter or differently...one second I was there, the next I was 10 feet below.
Lessons learned:
I lost a shoe, so did the other guy.
If my head would have hit his knee (even with a helmet) I would have been in bad shape.
If my arms or hands had been in the lift webs, or chest strap I think I would have dislocated and or broken them.
They are a blast when they work, but there are lots of risks and things that can go bad quickly.