riggerrob

Best single-engined jump plane?

With 9-11 jumpers load in Caravan (as much as PAC and PORTER can carry)

If you think the PAC 750XL only takes 11 then you have it confused with a different aircraft.

Carks PAC with 18 on board climbs faster than Nethers' Grand Caravan with 15/16.

If you mean the latest version PAC 750 XL, then yes you are right, can carry 16-17 jumpers as much as the Caravan, but on this case the rate of climb is at least 200ft per minute slower than Caravan in any configuration.
Caravan can also go at least 5000ft higher (25,000ft serving ceiling)
(Full load or not).

If you mean the old PAC Cresco (PAC 750XL is a stretched version of Cresco) which can carry only 9 jumpers then this has better rate of climb compared to a fully loaded Caravan with 16 jumpers.

It has the most cost effective (low fuel consumption turboprop, burns cheap jet fuel) and reliable engine available.

Really? I thought the PAC was more efficient?

No, is not

Actually it is.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I like the C-182 because it helped skydiving grow to the sport we know today. Re-engined to 300HP and with other available mods, an early wide-body 182 can carry 6 jumpers plus a pilot.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where is your DZ ... beside a pygmy village in deepest, darkest Africa?

We have a wide-body Cessna 182 pimped-out with wing-tip extensions, dive brakes and a 300 horsepower engine from a 206.
It barely carries 5 jumpers and they better not all be as big as me. A sixth jumper would unbalance the airplane.
The other issue is climb rate. While it climbs well on cool days, it is painfully slow on hot, humid days. A couple of days ago, I took our 182 to 3,000 feet with a single student. Our pilot complained that we were barely climbing at 500 feet per minute! He didn't want to waste the rest of the afternoon hauling tandems to 10,000 feet.

... it can be done legally and safely, at least in the US (not sure about Transport Canada's regs).
You might want to do your homework on what STC's are actually available for 182's ...
... FAA 337 Field Approvals ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The FAA is far more liberal with 337 Field Approvals than Transport Canada.

If you try to carry any team bigger than a Japaneses womens' 8-way team or a midget 10-way speed star team, the plane will be too heavy to get off the ground.

You are very correct. Super Otters and King Airs are both multi engine aircraft.

Rob was referring to the DHC3 "Super" Otter - which is a single. Most are on floats I think. Never jumped one but it (or a PAC750) is what I would buy if I had cash to burn....

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/ttc.htm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, I was referring to a single-engined DHC-3 Otter, most of which make their livings on floats. Every day we see dozens of single-engined Otters flying out of Vancouver harbour, on their way to Victoria or Seattle or some small town up the coast.

They all left the factory with anemic, 650 horsepower piston engines and quickly earned a reputation as "stoneboats" flying huge loads out of short lakes
The problem was that they took the rest of the day to climb out of that valley.
A few were re-engined with 1,000 horsepower, Polish radial engines, but now most sport turboprop engines (Walter, Garret or Pratt&Whitney).
This results in a single-engined tail-dragger with a cabin almost as big (up to 18 skydivers) as a DHC-6 Twin Otter, but half the operating costs.

I agree - we also get much better performance than Rob mentions above. I know that the DZO's talk about their previous 206 as having been a lot slower than this modified 182, so maybe it has something to do with the specific engine or mods to install it in a 182. Fuel injection may make some difference vs. a carbureted engine as well.

Not too many pygmies in Pennsylvania though!

Lance

Rob, I jumped Skydive Fargo's 182 widebody last week on wed and with 2 tandems to 12000agl it took 12 min. 4 of us went on the next load and was also right at 12 min to 12000agl. It was also about 85 degrees F. Not sure but thought someone told me it was a 590 conversion? 3 blade prop.

Only jumped the Porter so my opinion doesn't count for much but the one at Lillo, Spain is a fast climber,sounds real mean when throttled back just before take off and the smell of hot jet fuel just puts me in the mood.
Full load of 10 in high summer is a bit on the warm side but it's all good. :)
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

I've only jumped a 180, a radial Beaver, and a Super Twin Otter, and I'll have to say my favorite is the beaver. Sure it only holds 8, and sure it takes 25 minutes to get to 9,500, but I love watching every single jumper exit at the same time (only one diver), and it's IMPOSSIBLE to take a nap on the way to altitude in the otter or cessna, they climb too fast :)

I have to agree with the choice of SMG92 Turbo Finnest.
10 people are a little cramped, but not as bad as a porter. I think the engine on the one Ive been out of is a 750HP beast (Is it basically the same as a twin otter engine?)

Basically looks like a porter, with a larger left hand door, and an insanly large step (which apparently is part of the airframe, not a para-mod :o )

I do have fond memories of 182s and 206s as I did all my student jumps out of them, all the way up to about jump ~75. I will still happily jump em.
Ive only done a few from a porter, PAC750, beaver and G.Caravan but the Finnest still wins.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Trubo Finnist is powered by a Polish Walter turboprop engine.
At arm's length, Walter turbines look like communist copies of the Pratt & Whitney PT6A engines that power Turbo Beavers, Caravans, King Airs, Porters, PAC 750s, Twin Otters and many of the single Otter turbine conversions.

I was referring to a single-engined DHC-3 Otter, most of which make their livings on floats. Every day we see dozens of single-engined Otters flying out of Vancouver harbour, on their way to Victoria or Seattle or some small town up the coast.

They all left the factory with anemic, 650 horsepower piston engines and quickly earned a reputation as "stoneboats" flying huge loads out of short lakes
The problem was that they took the rest of the day to climb out of that valley.
A few were re-engined with 1,000 horsepower, Polish radial engines, but now most sport turboprop engines (Walter, Garret or Pratt&Whitney).
This results in a single-engined tail-dragger with a cabin almost as big (up to 18 skydivers) as a DHC-6 Twin Otter, but half the operating costs.

anyone seen a DHC-3 single otter fitted with the 600HP turbocharged Orenda (now called Trace Engines) V8? Might be a nice jump plane for a midsized DZ?

rm

As a jumper;
the porter, just cause it was so damn much fun...Slow, fast, and a great climb rate....just a great A/C.

C195 out at Mullins place, big 450 PW if I am not mistaken. Great A/C to add to the log book. Would love to jump some of the others you listed to add to the 39 A/C I have already logged.

As a DZO
Grand Caravan.....a proven A/C....need I say more?

great post

The SMG is OK, but if you're tall and end up at the back, you are going to be in a world of hurt by the time you get out.

Gimme the Porter any day!

(Do any UK DZs have a Porter? Lillo is kind of a hassle to get to for my fix ]:P])
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The SMG is OK, but if you're tall and end up at the back, you are going to be in a world of hurt by the time you get out.

Gimme the Porter any day!

(Do any UK DZs have a Porter? Lillo is kind of a hassle to get to for my fix ]:P])

Black Knights have had one for the last few summers. Fastest one in Europe apparently.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

4000meters 17 minutes.

How many inches is that?

Sorry stupid American (me) dont know what 4000meters iz.. :S

Here you are:
http://www.google.se/search?hl=en&q=4000+meters+in+inches&btnG=Google+Search
;)
(it could of course give it in feet as well)
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

Sorry but you forgot one 206 cessna Centurion V8 Diesel Turbo!!!!!!!!!!
4000meters 17 minutes.

does your dropzone have that engine installed? Is it living up to expectations? what is the cycle time - I imagine it can descend quickly being liquid cooled...

edit: 4000m is just over 13000 ft.

rm