shward

Question on "B" test

I took the "B" license test last week, just to get a look at it and unfortunately failed by one question. I've since read, re-read and double read all the applicble sections of the SIM but can't find a clear answer to one question....

What is the maximum distance that a plane can fly from take off to the intended jump run?

Sec 119.1 (e) (6) states...

Nonstop flight cinducted within a 25 statute mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.

Is 25 miles the answer for this or am I looking in the wrong seciton. Any help with this would be greatly appreicated. Thx
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

FAR 119.1 page 196 of the current SIM.

"(e)(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile
radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or
objects for the purpose of conducting intentional
parachute operations."

Thats what he just said...

You're looking at the right spot, and I believe it is 25 statute miles
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

FAR 119.1 page 196 of the current SIM.

"(e)(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile
radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or
objects for the purpose of conducting intentional
parachute operations."

Thats what he just said...

You're looking at the right spot, and I believe it is 25 statute miles

That's what they just said. ;)

Relatively useless tidbit here - that rule only applies if the jumpers are paying for the ride. I can legally rent an airplane (as long as I pay for it, not the jumpers) and fly the jumpers as far as I want before I drop them.

The reason for the rule is to close a loophole in air charter operations. The FAA wants anybody doing air charter to be under Part 135, which is much more strict than Part 91. They do not allow commercial operations to be conducted under Part 91, except for a very explicit list of activities, like skydiving, banner towing, flight instruction, crop dusting, etc. In order to close a loophole where someone could conceivably charge to fly someone from San Diego to Davis, but let them jump and hence be under part 91, they put that rule in.

However, that whole section only comes in to play for commercial operations. If it is not a commercial operation (jumper isn't paying) then it is legal to drop as far as you want from takeoff.

I think it might be 25 miles. Isn't that what he just said? :S:S

:D:D:D

No! Thats what I said!:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message