George_ORH

Maui Skydiving? Vacationing there in Sept, Anyone live there?

Hey guys,
I am vacationing to Maui sometime in the middle of september and am hoping to get a jump or 2 in while I am there.

I'm hoping to meet up with someone local here who can give me a heads up on the area there?

I'm probably not taking my own gear (fyi).
***Due to recent cutbacks, The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off***

Maui? Don't bother. If you want to get a jump in, most likely you'll have to go to Oahu.

There are lots to do in Maui without worrying about jumping over there. The island is absolutely beautiful in lots of places. Look around. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you want some excitement, drive to Hana - takes longer than a skydive, produces more adrenaline, very scenic.
Have fun.

And watch out on the one lane bridges. More than a few dozen of them on the switchbacks. Gotta visit the Seven Pools and take a dip into the ice cold water in one of the water-fall-fed pools within sight of the Pacific. :)
Another thing to do is the sunrise downhill bike ride down Hileakala. You gotta get up at an insane time well before sunrise and meet at the bike company. They'll take the group and bikes up to the top of the 10,000 foot volcano, the largest dormant volcano in the world, and watch the sunrise. On a clear day you can see Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea some 50 miles in the distance. The crater is so big that the island of Manhattan would fit inside it. Then you get started on the world's longest downhill bike ride at around 28 miles, with only a 1/4 mile stretch where you have to do some pedaling, and ends at the Pacific Ocean at sea level. Its a helluva experience.

There are a lot more to do as well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you want some excitement, drive to Hana - takes longer than a skydive, produces more adrenaline, very scenic.
Have fun.

And watch out on the one lane bridges. More than a few dozen of them on the switchbacks. Gotta visit the Seven Pools and take a dip into the ice cold water in one of the water-fall-fed pools within sight of the Pacific. :)
Another thing to do is the sunrise downhill bike ride down Hileakala. You gotta get up at an insane time well before sunrise and meet at the bike company. They'll take the group and bikes up to the top of the 10,000 foot volcano, the largest dormant volcano in the world, and watch the sunrise. On a clear day you can see Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea some 50 miles in the distance. The crater is so big that the island of Manhattan would fit inside it. Then you get started on the world's longest downhill bike ride at around 28 miles, with only a 1/4 mile stretch where you have to do some pedaling, and ends at the Pacific Ocean at sea level. Its a helluva experience.

There are a lot more to do as well.

A LOT more???:S

Yeah, take a chopper ride, make a scuba dive, pour a beer on Lindbergh's grave and you've pretty much done Maui. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks guys. I've been to Oahu a few times (before I started skydiving), The last time on Oahu, We took a day trip to Maui and loved it. So a few years later , we are going to just Maui and staying there for a week.

I have been over to Hana,,,,I'm so glad I was riding a small tour bus with someone else driving, That was crazy.

The 7 pools were awesome, I plan on hitting that again while we are there. Although I was a little timid jumping off the slick rock, but was well worth it!

I just had it in my mind how much fun it would be to do a skydive there (the view)....Ah well, Maybe I will just do a helicopter tour or something similar.
***Due to recent cutbacks, The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off***

That's funny -- the drive was work, but I've certainly been on more exciting ones. Start in the morning so you have plenty of time for the stops you'll want to make.

If you go and drive yourself, go to the Maui Garden of Eden botanical garden between Lihue and Hana -- it's awesome.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just had it in my mind how much fun it would be to do a skydive there (the view)....Ah well, Maybe I will just do a helicopter tour or something similar.

My wife and I did that too. Got some great views of tall waterfalls and the Hileakala crater. :)
Also, there's a guy with like 15 Macaw parrots somewhere on the island offering pictures with his birds. That was an interesting experience itself. Birds on both shoulders, head, arms and one laying in your hands on its back. They were in the "Garden of Eden" the day we took the Road To Hana, but he's all over.

That's funny -- the drive was work, but I've certainly been on more exciting ones. Start in the morning so you have plenty of time for the stops you'll want to make.

If you go and drive yourself, go to the Maui Garden of Eden botanical garden between Lihue and Hana -- it's awesome.

Wendy P.

Funny, we mentioned the same place at the same time :DB|

The garden of eden is I believe, the wettest spot on Maui and one of the wettest spots in the US, with something like 400 inches of rain a year (off-guess from memory). Compare that to Kihea on the alee side that gets maybe 12 inches. The island is an interesting combination of micro-climates.

between Lihue and Hana

Do you mean Lahaina? Lihue is on Kauai.

Go snorkeling at Molokini. Deeper than most snorking spots, but pretty calm. Also, can visit Tedeschi's Winery. They have, are you ready for this, pineapple wine. A little too sweet for me, but you can always make snow cones out of it.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

:$
You're absolutely right. Although technically, the road to Hana is between Kauai and Hana as the long-range crow flies :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Also, there's a guy with like 15 Macaw parrots somewhere on the island offering pictures with his birds. That was an interesting experience itself. Birds on both shoulders, head, arms and one laying in your hands on its back. They were in the "Garden of Eden" the day we took the Road To Hana, but he's all over.

we inadvertently happened upon the macaw guy on our visit a couple years ago. discovered through chatting with him that he grew up in the same little town in massachusetts that i lived in for 10 years. what a small world! (and a rather odd man...but his macaws are gorgeous!)

The last time I was there and inquired about the helicopter scenic tours i was told that they would have let me jump if I had brought my gear. Just a thought...might be worth wild to check that option out.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"