SansSuit

VOR distance, radial calculator?

Is there a website that will calculate the distance and radial to the nearest VOR? When preparing the 7711-2 for demo jumps I'm using a sectional and a protractor. This is the year 2011. There has to be a better method. I did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks !
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

If you really want to be exact, you can use Google Earth's "Ruler" tool. Find the nearest VOR, select that as your reference and measure the distance (in nautical miles) from there to your demo site. It will also show you the bearing to that site, which you can use to figure the radial off the VOR. You will have to figure in the magnetic variation (which is printed on your sectional) to convert the true course from Google Earth into a magnetic course which is what the VOR radials are based on.

If I remember correctly that information was displayed in MS Flight Simulator, along with GPS coordinates, for any location you chose. I checked the data once against my airplane nav gear and found it was quite accurate. Check it out and let us know if that works for you.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Is there a website that will calculate the distance and radial to the nearest VOR? When preparing the 7711-2 for demo jumps I'm using a sectional and a protractor.!

Are you using a "protractor" or a "plotter?" A flight plotter has millage scales on the bottom which are very easy to use. And while it may seem like it's old fashioned using one on top of a sectional to calculate distance and radial I'd argue there's actually much to be said for "old school" flight planning!

Cheers,
Dean

Edited to add: here's a fancy-schmancy one: http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9284
www.wci.nyc

You will have to figure in the magnetic variation (which is printed on your sectional) to convert the true course from Google Earth into a magnetic course which is what the VOR radials are based on.

Thanks !

Just a tad more complicated that what I had imagined but it does do the job.

How about a quick block of instruction on how to figure out this conversion? Does this have to do with the red dashed lines that run diagonally through the sectional? The point I'm looking at lies directly between one that reads "3°W" and "4°W" if that helps.
Peace,
-Dawson.

You will have to figure in the magnetic variation (which is printed on your sectional) to convert the true course from Google Earth into a magnetic course which is what the VOR radials are based on.

Thanks !

Just a tad more complicated that what I had imagined but it does do the job.

How about a quick block of instruction on how to figure out this conversion? Does this have to do with the red dashed lines that run diagonally through the sectional? The point I'm looking at lies directly between one that reads "3°W" and "4°W" if that helps.

Yes. If you look on the "legend" part, it tells you that those are the lines of variation. You want to add west variation to the true heading.

There's an explanation HERE. Go down the page to just below the picture of the sectional chart to skip over the prelimiary crap about a cross country flight.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No one is going to check your numbers. They just want it close.

depends on the FSDO. Some will check EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR 7711-2 and expect extra documentation. I have seen 7711-2's rejected because of faulty numbers from the nearest VOR, and the numbers were "close" to begin with.

It helps is you can include the Lat & Lon of the LZ.

The FSDO that I normally am dealing with, who is very detailed and will check things out, really likes it when I include a satelite image of the LZ. On the image I mark off the actuall landing area and The radius of the drop zone around the target
expressed in nautical miles.FAR 105.15-a-2.

Here is a spread sheet that will give you what you need, very accurately provided you have the lat/lon for both the VOR and your landing area.

Those numbers should not be hard to get, but if so, hopefully someone will get some use out of this.

Be sure to enable macros when opening the file. No viruses, I promise;)

Give the feds the minimum amount of info requested. Tell them you're the Tea Party Demo Team and if they give you any shit then picket the FISDO with signs like, "The Skis Belong to US!" LOL . . .

NickD :)

They'll reply with ..you can keep your damned Skis. But the SKIES belong to the FAA:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Here's how I do it with a sectional and a strip of paper. First, mark a mileage scale on your strip of paper by laying it along a longitude and making a mark at each minute of latitude. Each minute= one nautical mile.

Now take your new ruler scale and find your DZ. Now find the VOR you want to reference. Use your ruler , starting from the middle of the navaid to the DZ to measure the distance. Use the compass rose around the Navaid to get the magnetic radial.

Combine these in the following format:

VOR/radial/distance.

My house is the TCM092011, or the McChord VORTAC 092 degree radial, 11 nm fix.

Good enough for government work.

Easy, easy.;)

The Friendly Aviation Administration has some software too:

I found that in my initial search. Alas, it is a PC program. I'm on a Mac.

I should start a board of Mac vs PC pros and cons...

If I wasnt so damn lazy!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Here's how I do it with a sectional and a strip of paper....

That is pretty much how I had been doing it. The biggest problem with that is locating the exact landing area on the sectional. I don't know how much you've worked with sectionals ;) but landmarks can be scarce. So my method was to find the exact location on a web page, zooming out until I could find landmarks that I could recognize on the sectional and then guess at the exact location of the landing area. Not very precise.

It reminded me of the old army adage, "Plan it on a computer, measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk and then cut it with an axe."
Peace,
-Dawson.

go to a small airport and find a map called a "sectional" for your area then go to your jump pilot and ask him to show you how to use it. He'll be delighted to show you his skill. You can also use it figure out where to spot a cross-country jump. I keep the sectional in my gear bag.

OK, I did the calculations for an upcoming demo. These were my results:

By hand, using a sectional
23° 20 NMI

Google Earth using the ruler tool (and adding the magnetic variation)
25.3° 19 NMI

Excel spreadsheet (and adding the magnetic variation)
25.3° 19 NMI

So, I was pretty close doing it by hand, just off by a couple degrees. But I like the precision of the other 2 methods.
Playing around with Google Earth, it looks like the difference between my hand calculation and GE or Excel was about 1.3 miles.
Peace,
-Dawson.

OK, I did the calculations for an upcoming demo. These were my results:

By hand, using a sectional
23° 20 NMI

Google Earth using the ruler tool (and adding the magnetic variation)
25.3° 19 NMI

Excel spreadsheet (and adding the magnetic variation)
25.3° 19 NMI

So, I was pretty close doing it by hand, just off by a couple degrees. But I like the precision of the other 2 methods.
Playing around with Google Earth, it looks like the difference between my hand calculation and GE or Excel was about 1.3 miles.

Good, cept' (and damn it's been a while since I filed a notam for an off-DZ jump), but I don't think you need to figure in the magnetic variation? Just radial off the VOR and distance. Also, make sure you put a ZERO in front of 23 degrees, ie. 023 degrees. Always a three digit.. Have fun! I'm sure some rocket scientist will come along and correct me........