sespoolcoolyo

aff training too advanced?

I was looking through some aff programs for certain dz's and came upon one that seems rather ambitious. The dz boasts that their students can
learn how to do "90 and 360 degree turns, maintain a heading, barrel rolls, front and back flips, etc." in as few as 10 jumps and only one instructor after the first two jumps. The instructors only have about 2000 jumps as well. Does this seem too advanced for beginner skydivers? Opinions?
(hope this is in the proper forum)

Depends on the student. Most students can do what you describe at a basic level after 7 jumps. Note that these skills (and a few others) are the bare minimum you need to survive while jumping on your own; there is far more to learn before you become a safe skydiver.

I was jumping with a single AFF-I on level 2, poised solo exit on 4, 360° turns on 5, flips on level 6, and my level 7 was basically a fun-jump with no requirements, other than to pull stable at proper altitude, since I mowed through all the levels in two days with no repeats.

I credit a killer group of instructors for my success, along with their great debriefs and patience.
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

what do you guys think is the best stufdf to learn at my jump level (43), in freefall. i live quite far from the DZ and whenever i get there all i want to do is have some really fun jumps. when im back home all i want to do is progress. i pretty much go solo all the time, i can only afford to jump twice a week only on one day....(and soon i may have to stop jumping for a while [:/])

id like to do my warp training but havent got the funds for training. theres only so many times you can do 360's on your own for practice when you dont even know how good you are relative to others. i doing my canopy handling stuff at the moment so i keep wanting to pull higher each jump...

i only ask here because i forget to ask the instructors at my local DZ when i go.....
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

apart from the barrel roll that's what my AFF course taught meB|
Does that make me special:D:D:D

or is it the small bus I ride that makes me special:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks for the responses! I guess I thought it seemed peculiar because I've heard from other intructors that (a lot of) students shouldn't even be attempting flips until after their 20th jump.

If they were referring to the static line progression it might not be very unreasonable although somewhat to the conservative side :)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

With the exception of the barrel rolls

I'm pretty sure a barrel roll was part of my AFF lesson, if not the dive-flow. The point was to show you that sticking one arm out was how you get off of your back.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Sure it can be done! :)
Most of my students can do all those maneuvers and land their parachute safely at only 6 jumps, with only me as their Instructor. ;)

Then there's the other group of people, like yours truly. It took me 3 jumps to learn hover control and 4 jumps to learn turns properly. Its amazing how much better the maneuvers work when you are relaxed! ;)But then after that, I nailed the flips on the first try! B|
Everybody is different. If it takes you longer, so what. The basic AFF program is 7 levels. Once you pass those, then you can fly solo's without an instructor.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Everybody is different.

How true at is. ;)

I've found that most students learn better when taking all their Instruction from one person, rather then having to have things explained in different ways by some other Instructor they get handed off to.
I also shoot video of every jump that they do and do a total debrief of their jump, from exit to landing. (Video is included on every skydive at no charge)

Having the students see a video of the skydive and pointing out the good and bad points of the jump GREATLY inproves the learning curve. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I also shoot video of every jump that they do and do a total debrief of their jump, from exit to landing. (Video is included on every skydive at no charge)

Having the students see a video of the skydive and pointing out the good and bad points of the jump GREATLY inproves the learning curve. ;)

Be safe.
Ed

Yes, definitely!! If you have a choice between a program that uses video, and one that doesn't -- get video! I had it on all my AFP jumps. I couldn't imagine going through a debrief without it. (Also it give you some cool footage to impress your friends with. ;))
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

students shouldn't even be attempting flips until after their 20th jump.

Odd. Everything you mention are requirements for your A Licence under the UK SL training program. You get one instructor who never actually leaves the plain with you and you're done in less than 20 jumps unless you screw anything up and have to repeat.

When I started AFF, I believed that it seemed pretty ambitious, learning all of this in 7 jumps, come on! Well, after repeating level 3, three times because of bad body position (wasnt arching well which made me unstable) I am now in level 5 and will not be suprised if I need to repeat more levels before I graduate from direct instruction. My JM's have said that AFF just teaches you the basics so you know how to return to a stable belly-to-earth position before you deploy. I would rather learn how to get myself out of trouble within reach of someone who can help. Also, after I am out of AFF, I will go up with other people who can critique my work so I will get better. i am sure the learning will never stop.

hi there, I am bernie from belgium, my daughter will learn to skydive in annemasse, first jump need two instructros, second jump, providing number one is ok, you leave with one instructor. And if you are stable and well performing, level two or three is a solo exit, and further jumps teaches you flips, barell rolls, chute assis etc.. Of course it depends of the student but most french students are doing a fine job, look for google and put wuza.com in it and you'll find some pretty intresting dz's in france, and don't forget, have fun, that is what I'll try by doing a level one after stopping ten years but the sky is calling for me... blue sky bernie