npgraphicdesign

Why am I still uncomfortable sitting by the door?

As a belly flyer 90% of the time, my usual spot is right by the door, and I have to say it's my favorite seat on the plane. I love looking out at the scenery with the cool air filling the plane, thinking to myself how lucky I am that I get to do this. Whenever I get to sit by the door, I enjoy the ride to altitude just as much as the jump.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you being nervous sitting by the door. I think most human instincts would tell you to move away from an open door on an airplane, an instinct that all of us ignore when it's time to exit.

Side door aircraft aren't so bad but I went to a boogie where they had an Antanov An28 which has a tailgate, or more accurately a permanently open hole in the back of the fuselage. Try sitting at the back of that, with no seat belts cos the fat fuckers at the front hogged them all and staring out of this gaping hole at a concrete runway because the pilot thinks it's funny to climb at 45 degrees right after take off. That is a total puckerfest. :S

I don't like it either. And when jumping Paraski from the helicopter, guess who gets to sit by the door because the teammate that *should* exit first likes it even less? :$ No, no door. And the pilots have a tendency to hug the side of the mountain for as long as possible too. :o

You are not alone. But I'm afraid neither of us is ever going to like it.

Johan.
I am. I think.

I don't like it either. And when jumping Paraski from the helicopter, guess who gets to sit by the door because the teammate that *should* exit first likes it even less? :$ No, no door. And the pilots have a tendency to hug the side of the mountain for as long as possible too. :o

do they hug the mountain in your country ? :o:o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Whats the hole for ? Should be covered by a screen of some sort at least.....its a nightmare waiting to happen in terms of a loose pilot chute....:S

:S

Antanov An28 which has a tailgate, or more accurately a permanently open hole in the back of the fuselage

http://www.skydiveperu.com/images/Photos/Fotos/aeronaves/AN28_2.JPG

This An28 had tailgate doors at the back of the fuz under the tail which you couldn't open in-flight so they just took them off. This is the hole out of which you exit. There was a half-screen in the back that was held closed with a couple of bolts of the type you might find on someones bathroom door but that's it. The thought of losing a pilot chute out of it didn't worry me nearly as much as the thought losing an unrestrained skydiver at 150ft, especially as the thing climbs like the space shuttle. As you can imagine, I'm in no big hurry to jump that particular ship again.

Whats the hole for ? Should be covered by a screen of some sort at least.....its a nightmare waiting to happen in terms of a loose pilot chute....:S

I see you haven`t been jumping much in the Eastern Europe then.
For instance, Mi-8 helicopter is like a bus with no rear end. They just dismount the aft doors. Last time I was in Kolomna, Russia, they had some sort of half-net attached at the rear. It could maybe stop someone falling out accidentally, but that`s it. Every other Mi-8 that I jumped had no rear protection.
dudeist skydiver #42

I hate the door so much, its not funny. So much so that i havent jumped in months due to mindfucking myself out of being able to do it. i hate the entire sequence, opening, moving towards it, spotting, the works. but once im out is pure bliss.

for some reason im not nearly as worried when they open the door for hop n pops, im not sure if its because i know im not going out it or what...

but i do rember being calmer when i look out the plane at 6k versus 12k, maybe its a height thing?

since i havent jumped in a while, obviously ill have to recert and all that, should i try a static line kinda thing since you go out much earlier or? . . .
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

My god, I love the door. I hate riding to altitude towards the front all cramped in, especially if its for say, a caravan with no windows. Then on top of the door being great, it's like whipped cream on top when it's open. Wind in your face, and this weird feeling that's almost like bravery, and being one with the sport, as cliche as that sounds. Because you know that if you decide to fall you, you'll survive and it will be fun as hell! Not a life ending tragedy.

Peace
Stay high pull low

My god, I love the door. I hate riding to altitude towards the front all cramped in, especially if its for say, a caravan with no windows. Then on top of the door being great, it's like whipped cream on top when it's open. Wind in your face, and this weird feeling that's almost like bravery, and being one with the sport, as cliche as that sounds. Because you know that if you decide to fall you, you'll survive and it will be fun as hell! Not a life ending tragedy.

Peace

Ok I get it. I'm a wuss :D

But seriously...what makes me nervous isn't 'falling out', but falling out at the wrong time...like 2k or less above the ground, right after the seatbelt is off. :S:P

But seriously...what makes me nervous isn't 'falling out', but falling out at the wrong time...like 2k or less above the ground, right after the seatbelt is off. :S:P

Because you don't think you could pull silver in time?

BTW, 2000 AGL is a legit hop-n-pop altitude. You should do some if your license allows for it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Peace

If you find yourself flung out of a plane at 1-2k fire that reserve off... Or your main if ya got a pair of brass ones. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

BTW, 2000 AGL is a legit hop-n-pop altitude. You should do some if your license allows for it.

Really? Last few H&Ps I've done, the Otter went to high 4s/low 5s. Think I could ask them for a 2k-ish H&P? :S

Really? Last few H&Ps I've done, the Otter went to high 4s/low 5s. Think I could ask them for a 2k-ish H&P? :S

Check your license first (I'm assuming your profile is out of date), then ASK for a specific altitude for your h-n-p. All they can do is say no, but at most drop zones it wouldn't be a big deal unless jumpers were in the pattern or about to be dropped from a higher altitude. Understand, most people want their hop-n-pop at a slightly higher altitude so that may be what the pilot is used to normally giving, but 2,000 shouldn't be considered an odd request as long as your license allows for a main deployment that low.

2000 is a fairly normal "low" show for a demo with low overcast. Nothing out of the ordinary really.
quade -

Check your license first (I'm assuming your profile is out of date), then ASK for a specific altitude for your h-n-p. All they can do is say no, but at most drop zones it wouldn't be a big deal unless jumpers were in the pattern or about to be dropped from a higher altitude. Understand, most people want their hop-n-pop at a slightly higher altitude so that may be what the pilot is used to normally giving, but 2,000 shouldn't be considered an odd request as long as your license allows for a main deployment that low.

2000 is a fairly normal "low" show for a demo with low overcast. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

I only have an A with 72 jumps to my name. So the most they'll take me to is a little over 3.5k (according to the SIM, A license holders should open at 3.5 right?)

I only have an A with 72 jumps to my name. So the most they'll take me to is a little over 3.5k (according to the SIM, A license holders should open at 3.5 right?)

2. All students and A-license holders—3,000 feet AGL

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

2. All students and A-license holders—3,000 feet AGL

;)

Yea yea yea. So I was off by 500 feet...:S:P

Peace

lol im not scared of falling out period, that doesnet bother me, well it may if i was sitting RIGHT next to the door, but itll be a cold day in hell before i do that to a full ride to alt. i dont know what my problem is, i guess IM truly the wuss.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I only have an A with 72 jumps to my name.

Ya know, there's a cure for that. All it takes is time and money and if you don't have either, then the original problem isn't a problem.
quade -