Paranoiattack91

If you live in CA I need you opinion.

I recently took my first skydive as a tandem last mont at Perris. Right then I was hooked. I have decided to persue my A license and it seems that it is not a cheap task lol. I really liked the Perris dz and i was looking at the package deal they offer and also the deal Elsinore offers. Elsinore seems to be much cheaper and includes the gear reantal in all 25 dives. Perris is more expenisve and only includes gear rental in dives 1-14 and then after its $75 perday for gear rental.

What are your opinions on Elsinore's dz and student program since I have never been there. By going there it seems I'd bee saving close to $1000.

I've done nearly 1000 jumps at Elsinore, and 600+ at Perris. Perris definitely has much more going on, and as a student, I think this could be overwhelming. On the other hand, once you get licensed, there are more people to jump with at Perris, and they always have load organizers for both RW and freefly to help you out.

Elsinore seems to be more "personal." Id say that you get to know more people easier.

I know several of the instructors at both Perris schools and at Elsinore. In my opinion, you'd get the same quality of training at either place.

Good luck.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Paul asked the right question.

I think you may have jumped at the Jim Wallace school.

As for picking a DZ between them. They both rock, just in a different way. Pick the one that give you the best vibe. Everyone pretty much jumps at both anyway. They are so close and everyone know each other.

People still call Perris or Elsinore their home DZ, but again. It's all the same people though really.
Dom

Like lots of others have said, I think either Perris or Elsinore would be just fine.

My personal opinion only... I've always been somewhat suspect of "package deals" in skydiving for a lot of reasons, but the largest of which is you never know what's going to happen on the next jump? Even with 1000s of jumps under my belt, I very very rarely buy blocks of tickets because the future is uncertain; will you show up at the DZ next weekend and find an "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" sign hanging up at manifest?... and in the small print... we won't honor tickets sold by the previous owners! I've seen it happen. Just food for thought.

Also, I've seen folks really really stoked after their first jump, try to progress through the student training, get a hand-full of jumps into it and find out its not for them.

I'm not poo-poo-ing package deals, just something to think about or at least definitely ask what their refund policy is if you plunk down a bunch of cash for the whole progressing, get a ways into it and decide you want some of your money back, what happens then? (i.e. you do a few jumps and decide skydiving isn't for you or you get hurt, either/or both happen)... OR... if you pay for a package deal, what's the time limit (if any) where you have to finish the progression?

If you do end up going through the student program, graduating, getting in to skydiving AND staying in the sport past the 5 - 6 years "tourist" phase, you'll then know that the VAST MAJORITY of folks who show up at a DZ, do a tandem, do an AFF, or even do tandem and then a handful of AFFs, move on, never to be seen again. Again, just something to think about before shelling out a bunch of $$ up front vs. paying as you go on something, statistically speaking, you're likely not to get into in a big way.

Whether you pay for your student jumps as you go or all at once before you even jump them, is up to you. Good luck. Welcome to the skies, let us know what happens and budget $$ to buy beer for us old "grey hairs" when you start dropping the "F-word"!

;)

Thanks everyone for the great input. I totally understand your points zigzag and thats something i'll think about. There have been many sports/hobbies that i have wanted to get into or started off with but none of them have i ever been so excited about as the feeling i get about just thinking of my first dive. I've played hockey and raced cars growing up and i still do both but they have never given me the feeling of skydiving. I feel like a little kid :D