fmmobley

Goodbye... I am quitting skydiving

I do not know how old your are but it will never leave you and may be a spark will get you to come back. I have done very little in skydiving.( compared to you) I did 40 jumps in 1981 on the old rounds. gave up for good I thought. ( after a reserve ride) never gave it much of a thought for 28 odd years. My son in 2008 did a tandem. I watched. Thought I might jump one more time... yeah right !! 15 tandems and 3 AFF jumps. I am now having another break. (lack of $$$$$)

My point being something will spark you some day to return .. you may or may not act on it. (the old risk/cost verses reward thing.) From what I have read you have had an outstanding run.. all the best.

greg
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

You wont be able to stop the dreams and the desire to fly. I quit for a while when my kids were born so I could devote all my weekend attention to them, but once they were old enough to really enjoy a day at the DZ I was back in the air.

I am sorry you are losing your job, but a new job will eventually come along that pays more than enough to support the addiction.

There will be some new developments or gear in the sport that intrigues you and draws you back.

How many "last concerts" has Cher performed?

It's very cool to retire with a wingsuit record under your belt, but I'll bet you are really just taking a break.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

My wife and I have applied to join the Peace Corps, and if things go as planned we hope to be in Eastern Europe (I think Albania) next year

Here is an old rec.skydiving thread with someone who joined the Peace Corps.

You'll love it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Marion,

I'm sorry that I missed your last jumps on Sunday. I understand your decision, but I will miss jumping and hanging out with you. I will never forget making my first wingsuit jump with you. You were a very good instructor. Ever since that jump, I was always hoping that I would see you on the other side of an AFF jump sometime in the future.

Best of luck with your future endeavors. If you ever decide to return to the sport, we will be waiting for you.

It is done, I made my last jump.

My last day of jumping at the DZ was this past Sunday. I had a great day. I made four jumps, and managed to do my four favorite things:

1) A freefly jump
2) A simple RW fun jump with some of my very best friends in the sport
3) A jump with a new jumper who needed something completed on her A card
4) And for my final jump, a wingsuit jump (my favorite discipline.) I jumped with Gary Shaffer who was one of my instructors when I went through AFF. My wife went up with us as an observer. To make the jump even sweeter there were some beautiful clouds to fly with.

Then after a perfect landing, I walked in and turned over my rig to the buyer.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words in your posts. I really appreciate you all.
... Marion

So glad to hear you had a perfect last day jumping and were able to get everything in that you wanted to.

My best wishes to you for the Peace Corps- I admire you for that and that will surely provide plenty of new adventures.

And I agree- never again a whuffo :P Best to you and your family.

peace,
robyn

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi