Bramble

Have any of you gone through this?

I just had my 3rd static line jump last night and am a little frustrated with myself. For some reason, from the time that I let go of the strut to the time my canopy opens, my mind goes (almost) completely blank. At least this time, I remembered to hold my arch.

I've always been someone who can think quickly and clearly during high-pressure situations, so it's kind of freaking me out to check out while SKYDIVING. I was ready for the jump, I visualized it time and again, and even now, can so clearly see myself doing the tasks (PRCP) that I was supposed to do.

Has anyone else gone through this? If so, how did you get past it?

Don't worry - it isn't that unusual to have sensory overload on your first few jumps. My first static line jump was in 1978 and I remember to this day the feeling that I totally blanked out from the time I released the strut until I saw a canopy overhead.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

It's very normal; that was exactly my experience on my first jump (which was S/L) (exactly as Diver Mike described in post #2). It's a normal combination of anxiety and sensory overload, and it passes the more (and the more frequently) you jump.

Is it interfering with your ability to do the PRCP task properly? If so, discuss it with your instructors and let them, who actually know you, devise the best way for you to get you past the sensory overload so that it doesn't affect your performance.

Me too. Absolutely nothing between the two. They told me I arched, and counted loud enough to be heard on the ground :o. But I sure don't remember it.

Don't expect every jump to be perfect, it probably won't be. But as long as you learn something from each one, you're progressing.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks so much for your responses! It is so hard to know what is a normal response to this experience is without input from those of you who have been there/done that.

first static line = me pedaling frantically (I thought I was supposed to be belly down)
second static line = total mind blank- no fear, but definitely not present with the situation and forgot to count.
third static line= very little nervousness, but my mind was more interested with the fact that my goggles blew off my head to remember that I was to do a PRCP until after the canopy opened.

In a fit of faith last night after my failed jump, I did book 3 jumps for the 24th (2 PRCPs then the first 5 second solo assuming both PRCPs go well). In the mean time, any suggestions on how to get passed the sensory overload will be greatly appreciated!!

".... first static line = me pedaling frantically (I thought I was supposed to be belly down) ..."

You little over-achiever you!
Most people need 8 or 10 seconds to transition to belly-to-earth.
Remember that when you first let go of the airplane, all the wind is coming from the front, so your spine should be almost vertical, with your belly pushing into the wind.
Then you will feel that your spine is at a 45 degree angle for a few seconds.
And it is only after (8 to 12 seconds) you have accelerated to near terminal velocity, that you will fall straight down and a horizontal spine is appropriate. At terminal velocity, your belly should be pointed DOWN, into the wind.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves.
For the first three seconds - after you let go of the airplane - your spine should be near vertical and you should be able to keep your eyes on the airplane. Keeping your eyes on the airplane forces you to arch the top half of your spine, which improves stability and awareness.

Plan "getting over sensory overload" as your goal for the jump. Think about how you can do that (maybe focusing on the airplane leaving, or having your jumpmaster remind you of something on the way out -- you think about what will work for you).

Don't put anything else on that jump (i.e. only work on stuff you've already successfully mastered).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just had my 3rd static line jump last night and am a little frustrated with myself. For some reason, from the time that I let go of the strut to the time my canopy opens, my mind goes (almost) completely blank. At least this time, I remembered to hold my arch.

I've always been someone who can think quickly and clearly during high-pressure situations, so it's kind of freaking me out to check out while SKYDIVING. I was ready for the jump, I visualized it time and again, and even now, can so clearly see myself doing the tasks (PRCP) that I was supposed to do.

Has anyone else gone through this? If so, how did you get past it?

I struggled through static line until my jump master told me to relax and count how many fingers he was holding up as I left the plane (or very similar - it is a long time ago). I still have the vivid image of him in the door giving me the thumbs up and it really helped me to focus on something other than blind panic.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well hey, at least you remembered to arch and didn't just curl into a ball or something. That couldve been bad. Arch is the most important part i would imagine. So in my mind, you nailed it lol.
-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

Unfortunately, now that you're supposed to do DRCPs, you really don't want to be looking at the plane so much anymore, except at first. There is a tendency by some to de-arch when they go for the ripcord, try to not do this. Don't worry to much about doing it immediately, even if you're in the process of pulling as the canopy deploys that should be good, as it is very hard to beat a deploying static lined canopy with your DRCP pull unless you start it a little too early.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

My first 3 jumps were SL, I remember being in the plane, then being under canopy. No clue they could've tossed me out headdown who knows :S That same day I did a tandemjump (jump-in at a party) and then the problem went away, so my other SLs I at least had some recall. Not that I was that great at them yet :$

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Unfortunately, now that you're supposed to do DRCPs, you really don't want to be looking at the plane so much anymore, except at first

A student can always ask to repeat a previously-demonstrated skill to make themselves comfortable with some piece of it. Yes, you won't "progress" for that one jump, but some things, if mastered early, stay with you forever. Awareness would be one of them, because it leads to confidence.

So if you want to go do a "vanilla" SL jump and just focus on awareness, tell your instructor. It's OK.

Wendy P.

I'm 2 jumps away of finishing my s/l course and I don't remember anything between the dor of the plane to the open canopy, no clue what happen on those few seconds... but loved to pump the brakes the first time and look the mother earth first time without be in a plane...
Julio Cesar
blue skies

Think about what the S/L's are for. They are giving you time to demonstrate that you can do a DRCP. Why? Because once you leave S/L you better be able to pull your ripcord or wait for the AAD. Try to concentrate on the DRCP. If you are thinking about that you shouldn't get overload. To help this just sit in the mockup for as long as it takes to make it second nature. Remember, even if you go head down or back to earth you gotta pull that ripcord.

Just so you'll know, I've put out between 5 and 6 thousand s/l's and this is very common.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

"... now that you're supposed to do DRCPs, you really don't want to be looking at the plane so much anymore ..."

Say what?
Since most Canadian DZs converted to BOC - more than a decade ago - our students have been getting higher scores if they watch the airplane for the first 3 or 4 seconds while pulling practice pilot chutes.

Looking up at the airplane reinforces the concept of arching the top half of their spines.
Simlalry, we teach - later - freefall students to focus on a landmark on the horizon while pulling.

"... now that you're supposed to do DRCPs, you really don't want to be looking at the plane so much anymore ..."

Say what?
Since most Canadian DZs converted to BOC - more than a decade ago -.

PeRhaPs it's time to call them PPCTs instead of PRCPs or DRCPs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Say what?
Since most Canadian DZs converted to BOC - more than a decade ago -.

PeRhaPs it's time to call them PPCTs instead of PRCPs or DRCPs.

The world went to hell in a handbasket once they stopped naming lineovers after Mae West's tits.

It happened to me too. I missed my first PRCP because I was too focused on getting it in exactly 3 steps without having to find or feel for the ripcord. After that I just learned to keep going for it until I had it, afterall that's what you're gonna do when the training wheels come off.

On my first free fall I de-arched and ended up on my back. I remember watching the plane fly away and asking myself "what the hell am I doing" as I put my arms down and in the time it took me to react and go through arch, reach, pull my body righted itself into the arch position and my canopy came out; I accidently did a perfect back flip!

On the ground my coach laughed and said hey you survived! :$ I so wish I was ready to free fly already.

total mind blank

on 1st, I rolled my eyes so much back that I remember seeing dark cave with three small grey cells in it (some call it brain)
then canopy shook me up of that daymare.

I've decided to quit jumping if that happen again.
What goes around, comes later.