rhys

repowering and service ceilings..

Hi all,

I have tried a little research with no joy.

I am wondering if a service ceiling of an aircraft is set in concrete or if repowering will allow a higher service ceiling?

In particular a PAC Fletcher Fu24 repowerd with a walter turbine.

The factory spec is a 16k service ceiling on the Fletcher Fu24 but that is with a piston engine.

Once repowered with a walter turbine increasing the horsepower by 200hp, the aircraft will be capable of higher altitudes than the specfied service ceiling, but is going there allowed?

thanks in advance for any help.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

You’re on the wrong website forum; we’re talking about skydiving here. Over on the PPrune forums they discuss this type of stuff all day. www.pprune.org
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Are you asking about this ... or a regulatory [problem]???...

It also depends which country's regulations you are referring to.
For example - in North America - many turbo-prop airplanes (eg. DHC-5 Buffalo) have placarded service ceilings of 25,000 feet, because above that, you get into some complex regulations about cabin pressurization, emergency oxygen, pilot training, etc.

You would be wise to consult New Zealand Civil Aviation authorities.

Yeah, the 100 fpm climb rate (at gross weight) is the standard performance definition of service ceiling. Riggerrob is right about how some ceilings are a certification limit instead, like the common 25k one.

I'd bet the limit Rhys is talking about is not a certification limit... but so far those of us here don't know for sure...

Look in your Pilots Operating Handbook, or the aircraft manual, or whatever it is called in your country. There will be a section on "Limitations". If there is no altitude limitation specified then you may fly the aircraft as high as you like (or as high as it will go).

The service ceiling is a performance parameter that is not a limitation, unless it is in the section labeled limitations.

Mike Mullins

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike, but wouldn't the STC process for a new, bigger engine include testing (including dive testing) at the higher altitudes the engine is capable of? After which, you have the potential to incur new limitations not applicable to the original aircraft.