Cayce

Landed a Tension Knot

Okay, so this weekend I had an interesting landing. I did a high hop and pop from 5k, pitched around 3k, in the saddle at 2.5k. Did a control check, turns, flare, visual of the chute, all good. Start to set up for the DZ and get into a landing pattern. At around 1,800 I realize that I've made a few left hand turns and the break line has felt like it was catching at the same place on the turns. I check it out a little more and I see a tension knot that is binding up maybe 2-3 inches of line and the knot bumps as it passes through the guide ring when I flare to about my chest. I mess with the knot, no way it's coming out. I do another controllability check and figure that I can land with this glitch. I just have to make sure that as I use the toggles I lead my right toggle by a few inches to make up the difference. If the line snaps, further binds, lets go, I can always land on rear risers. I practice a few on heading flares to get the lead figured out and set up for final on the approach. Landed fine with a good flare, no worries.

So here's what I take away from this one. First I didn't do as complete a controllability check on initial opening as I should have. Because of that I was already past my decision altitude (2k) when I found the problem. Even still I would have chopped had it been binding something like a foot of break line, but at two inches I didn't even notice the heading pulling left at all, with the funky winds we had yesterday it could have been any number of steering issues. So I elected to land it figuring that the possible escalation of the problem could only be to break a line, further bind it, or the knot lets go and it returns to normal. Either of which would only affect me on final in the last 50ft, so I was primed to bail to rear risers in a heartbeat if anything went wrong.

Finally I think the causes could have been related to a few things. I have gotten out of the habit of untwisting my break lines on a daily basis, something I will be religious about from now on. So my break lines had many twists before the incident. Also, I didn't pack last weekend before going home at night so I just daisy chained my lines and squished my rig and chute in my gear bag. So after a week of daisy chained lines with twisted break lines the excess between the d-bag and the risers looked like spaghetti sitting in my container tray. Usually it just coils in all nice, but this time it was having a bad hair day and the lines looked all squirrelly while I was packing.

So, to summarize, more thorough controllability check, daily break line untwisting, and make sure to pack after sunset load... Anyone else have any observations?

daily break line untwisting

If you're going to do that religiously, this might not be that helpful, but I've found that if I reattach my toggles to the risers as soon as I land (before I drop them and allow them to spin), and make sure I don't put any twists in while setting the brakes when packing, I never have any twists in my brake lines. About every 5 pack jobs I'll walk them down to make sure, but I never find more than one rotation. Getting into this habit takes the "I wonder?" factor out of the equation, if you know what I mean. I'm glad your mal didn't get any worse and you landed it okay. It's not a bad idea to visually check your lines (especially your steering lines) as soon as you're open and in clear airspace. I had a half-hitch in my lower steering line once and it took longer for me to recognize it than it should have due to my poor habits. I learned, because it got pretty interesting clearing it before my hard deck.

Now that's the strange thing. I do exactly as you describe and stoe my toggles upon landing, making sure not to twist the lines. Yet I keep accumulating twisted break lines. I don't see how they get twisted up so much.