ridestrong

Do you 'quarter' your slider?

Any thoughts on whether a proper 'quartering' makes much difference than simply making sure the slider grommets are down against the slider stops?

Quartering the slider = pushing the slider down so the slider grommets are down on the slider stops and then 'quartering' each side of the slider between the line sets (or grommets), basically forming a "+" shape at the opening pouch of the slider.

The other option is: simply pushing the slider down so the slider grommets are down on the slider stops but not 'quartering' the slider.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Any thoughts on whether a proper 'quartering' makes much difference than simply making sure the slider grommets are down against the slider stops?

I jump a Sabre 190 with a big ass pocket slider, (Thanks Dennis at Spaceland!), I make sure it's quartered, and the pocket hangs in front of the nose. 800 ft. snivels. ;)
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I make sure it's pushed down and quartered, then I fold the edges back so that it'll (hopefully) come down a little faster. But I like a fast opening

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have an Icarus Omega that instead of quartering the slider, I wad it up to delay catching air and this helps reduce opening from 1200 ft to 900 ft. I do this for this canopy ONLY. Yes, the presentation of the slider (quartering) will have an effect on the opening.

I think most people lose control of it during the S folds causing hard openings.

I watch almost everyone do nice little folds in the tail when cocooning, once my slider is quartered i wrap the fuck out of the tail above the slider grommets and there is nothing good looking about it. Its tight and the reason is to control it during the S folds into the bag.

On canopies known to open hard i always pull it out over the nose, on a velocity or similar i will leave the nose exposed in a semi circle and the slider flush with the nose in the middle.

While i may not flake every pack job depending how busy i am i have 2 major concerns that i always make sure are correct.

1.) lines are straight
2.) Slider is quartered.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Perhaps you should explain to the readers what that means.

The target audience for that question will know what that means... but for those that aren't sure and would like to give their opinion, here's my best and simplest explanation:

Quartering the slider = pushing the slider down so the slider grommets are down on the slider stops and then 'quartering' each side of the slider between the line sets (or grommets), basically forming a "+" shape at the opening pouch of the slider.

The other option is: simply pushing the slider down so the slider grommets are down on the slider stops but not 'quartering' the slider.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Perhaps you should explain to the readers what that means.

The target audience for that question will know what that means... but for those that aren't sure and would like to give their opinion, here's my best and simplest explanation:

you dont mean people still jumping rounds, right!? :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I'm new, but I am very meticulous about getting the slider all the way up and quartering it. I also make sure I wrap the tail tight, too so it stays that way.

I am careful about this because my canopy (PISA hornet) has a reputation for slammer openings and I want to do everything possible to avoid them. So far all of mine have been great.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm a firm believer that the slider is the #1 key to getting a soft opening, and that quartering it is not optional. Grommets to the stops, push down the center and quarter the edges, every time.

As far as rolling the tail goes, that the 'sloppy' way to keep things together. What you realyl want to do is learn to coccon and fold your canopy without destroying the pack job/slider placement you just did.

Even if you think your canopy opens slow, quarter the thing. You can always reach up and tug the rear risers to get it to come down faster if your opening is taking too long. It you get slammed, you just get slammed, nothing you can do about it, and evrey canopy will eventaully open hard.

... and that quartering it is not optional.

It shouldn't make any difference if you quarter it, half it, or do nothing with it as long as the grommets are to the stops. So why do you think it is not optional?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

>and that quartering it is not optional.

I think that quartering is indeed a good idea. But it is not to cause the slider to "inflate faster" or anything else - it is purely a trick to keep it against the stops.

When people quarter the slider, the bottom part of it can extend through the seam made when the tail is wrapped. If you capture that part of the slider when you roll the tail, that will tend to keep the slider stuck there, rolled up in the tail. That will help it stay against the stops.

IMO there are only really four things that have to happen* during a pack job:

1) Lines have to be in the center
2) Slider has to be against the stops
3) Bag needs a locking stow
4) Lines have to be controlled (coiled, stowed etc)

There are a lot of packing tricks out there, and a lot of them work very well. But for the most part all they do is make sure the above four things happen.

(* - and of course any settings required to configure the system for operation, like cocking the PC and closing the rig)

It provides you the best odds for allowing your slider to work properly. It's a fine balance between the canopy wanting to open, and the slider holding it closed. With equal parts of your slider in between each line group, whatever random event that should occur during your opening that might restrict the airflow to your slider is less likely to effect the whole slider.

Not to mention it's just the logical place for the slider to go. Just like you flake the material between the line groups, quartering is generally the same as 'flaking' the slider. I dont' subscribe the concept of just 'stuffing' or 'pushing' any part of my canopy during a pack job.

Everything has a place, and everything gets put in its palce. It has worked exceedingly well for me thus far.

Does truly quartering your slider have a different effect than pulling it out a little in front of the nose? I have been doing the latter, but would consider a balanced quartering method if it will speed up my openings a little.

Assuming in both cases they grommets are against the stops.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Does truly quartering your slider have a different effect than pulling it out a little in front of the nose? I have been doing the latter, but would consider a balanced quartering method if it will speed up my openings a little.

Assuming in both cases they grommets are against the stops.

i do that too, plus, i pull out the back and leave it hanging..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda