mikepetrucci

What does the term "lay base" mean?

This may be a really amateurish question and I did a search in the forums but couldn't find the answer.

I was just listening to the most recent Skydive Radio episode (#132) and they talked about "laying base."

I usually don't ask stuff in forums unless I really couldn't find the answer online. Thanks for your help!
http://twitter.com/mikepetrucci
http://mikepetrucci.com
http://dropzonemediagroup.com

It's the person or persons who exit the plane on a formation jump and just lay still in the sky, falling straight down, and wait for everyone else to fly to them to build the formation. The "base" is the target, or center of the planned formation. And the word "lay" implies that the base is just laying in the sky, doing "nothing".

It's the person or persons who exit the plane on a formation jump and just lay still in the sky, falling straight down, and wait for everyone else to fly to them to build the formation. The "base" is the target, or center of the planned formation. And the word "lay" implies that the base is just laying in the sky, doing "nothing".

To amplify JR's response, "nothing" is a big misnomer (no doubt why he put it in quotes) because the base has to set an acceptable and consistent fall rate, maintain the correct heading, and take all kinds of abuse from people who don't know how to dock.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

To amplify JR's response, "nothing" is a big misnomer (no doubt why he put it in quotes) because the base has to set an acceptable and consistent fall rate, maintain the correct heading, and take all kinds of abuse from people who don't know how to dock.

I've definetly kicked the base in the head once or twice :P

Like, go Base and get Layed...

that would make a great t-shirt or bumper sticker
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

"Correct-o-mundo". (The Fonz)