skydiverkeith

When regular skydiving just doesn't do it for you...

At least 10, maybe even 15.
As I remember he had another harness on under what you saw, and for the opening and "hanging" piece he was connected to the rig via something that ran through his sleeve. A stunt...but still pretty cool.

WTF...

Back a few years ago I made some comments about this guy and got flamed big time.
I still think this kind of "stunt" or whatever it is gives skydiving a bad name in the whuffo's mind.
It clearly is stupid to take your rig off in free fall and gives the impression of high risk behavior. No offense to Greg. (I'm pretty sure that's his name)
It doesn't matter what it really is what matters is what it looks like.
May the flaming begin...lol

I still think this kind of "stunt" or whatever it is gives skydiving a bad name in the whuffo's mind. It clearly is stupid to take your rig off in free fall and gives the impression of high risk behavior.

I think most whuffos consider any activity requiring a parachute to save one's life to be not just a high risk activity, but crazy; and aside from that, I doubt they much differentiate one from the other. Which is to say: a stunt like this makes not one extra blip on the Whuffo Radar; it's all meep meep meep to them.

Invisible harness or not, I'd love to see him deal with a violent spinning malfunction on his back hanging from the rig like that!

He did have the ability to cutaway and deploy his reserve in the event of a mal...It was pretty thoroughly planned and practiced before any jumps were made.

A few years ago I met Greg Gasson at Eloy and he was happy to talk about it. Real nice guy.
I got nuthin

>It clearly is stupid to take your rig off in free fall and gives the impression
>of high risk behavior.

Well, it's also clearly stupid to intentionally get _really_ close to someone while going 120 mph, or mash your parachute into someone else's, or jump from 13,500 feet instead of 3000 (to a whuffo, that is.)

>It clearly is stupid to take your rig off in free fall and gives the impression
>of high risk behavior.

Well, it's also clearly stupid to intentionally get _really_ close to someone while going 120 mph, or mash your parachute into someone else's, or jump from 13,500 feet instead of 3000 (to a whuffo, that is.)

See....here we go.
Jumping without a rig is quite different than jumping with one....even to the whuffo.
However I digress on this topic.
Ya'll have fun.

Greg Gasson did those stunt jumps for a Mike McGowan film. The final clip shows him losing his grip on the rig and burning into the desert. It was cool, but "relatively" tame.

Ask Bill Cole (aka Chuteless) about that. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Invisible harness or not, I'd love to see him deal with a violent spinning malfunction on his back hanging from the rig like that!

Yea, that wouldn't be pretty. I guess that's a time when an F-111 7 cell square has an advantage over the zippy modern gear. Any guesses on the gear? PD7's? I couldn't make out a logo on either canopy he jumps in the video.

I would not like to see that.

Awww come on... it could be cooooool video.... That guy digs cool video:)

See....here we go.
Jumping without a rig is quite different than jumping with one....even to the whuffo.

Just last weekend we got a whuffo call on our tandem booking phone. He was interested if he could get into solo skydiving after tandem and was especially interested if we were doing that cool skydiving discipline... You know, the one where you throw your parachute out of the plane and then you jump after it trying to catch it. He wants to get into that.
dudeist skydiver #42