ktmlouie47

Why do DZ's Screw other DZ's??

B|I know of a Drop Zone that is intentionally screwing another Drop Zone. Skydive Temple has the annual Deadman Boogie on labor day weekend. They have been doing this for the past 3 or 4 years. Skydive Temple is your family type drop zone that makes you feel very welcome and is not a huge tandem factory. They cater to their Fun Jumpers and are always welcome to new jumpers. Well anyways the near by drop zone Skydive San Marcos (I thought at one time was not like this) decided to do promotional weekend and have a low cost one time fee for as many jumps as you can get in a weekend on the same weekend as the Deadman Boogie to take away from the turn out. Skydive San Marcos is a Tandem Factory that will bump you from a load for a tandem in a heartbeat which is understandable its a business right? Hmm? I know that if I were a DZO that owned a DZ close to a smaller DZ I would work with them on special weekends. Yeah on a normal weekend your on your own, but I would NEVER intentionally screw someone like this just because most of the fun jumpers end up at the boogie for the weekend. Talk about hitting someone from behind. I know that I will personally never jump at Skydive San Marcos again! Come on we are all after the same thing Blue Skies, Jumping from planes with good friends and having a good time![/reply

woah, try running a large event like SkyFest and watch what happens. uggh, Its a much larger investment up front with all the specialty or ferried AC. Then to have the previous local of SF do their new "Fest" thing. Piggybacking your creation almost to the T. That is much worse than others having an event on a holiday, it should really be expected for other DZ's to do something.
You get used to it.
Try and focus on your project, keep it unique, positive and good things will happen. If you want it to be unique then do not do it on a holiday.

While I defiantly think the DZ's should communicate their events, I believe holidays are fair game, especially for Tandems.

When SF was in TX we coordinated with all the DZ's. We even worked out when the Casa may be in town so it would not be in TX just before a major event like SF. They are all great DZ's and DZO's. I think it will work out of for ya.

Drink a beer for Jerry for me and have a safe event!
J

Also if you look at the dropzone reviews there are at least 2 people in Temple that are bashing SSM. Your tandem guy Brandon and his wife or gf or whatever she is. So remind me again, who's getting screwed?

Let me set the record straight before you go posting shit that you don't know on a public forum.

Brandon is my ex-boyfriend. He worked at SSM from April of 2008 to October of 2008. He then worked at SD 35 and SD Temple for while, then he decided to only work at SD Temple in October of 2009. He moved to Hawaii in May 2010 and apparently is working there. We broke up in November 2009 because of his drinking problem.

I jumped with Brandon at SSM while he was working there and I still stand by my review that I posted on dz.com. That was my experience and it is my opinion about it. I have not returned to SSM since. I don't know what it like there now since I have stopped jumping there. I can say that there were good people at SSM as well. I have run into other jumpers since leaving SSM who had plenty of negative experiences there likewise.

When I jumped at SSM, sometimes I was the only fun jumper (or one of a few fun jumpers), and we were dumped out ahead of the tandems at 10.5K instead of taken up to 13.5K on a second pass. I still had to pay the same prince.

I have jumped and worked at Skydive Temple and I have nothing bad to say about them. It is a small dropzone with plenty of good vibes and good people. I no longer work at Skydive Temple, so my comments are NOT a reflection or representation of Skydive Temple's view of SSM.

As for the competing dropzones making boogies on the same weekend, all fair in love and war.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I'm sure he will appreciate you bringing his personal issue into this thread.:S

Hey, things could be worse, right? She could be telling us her drinking buddy has a skydiving problem. Think how embarrassing that would be for him....

I'm sure he will appreciate you bringing his personal issue into this thread.:S

[sarcasm] Thanks for defending him Chris. [/sarcasm] And you made that comment knowing that you have seen how bad his drinking problem is. His "personal issue" is no secret!

The point of my previous post was not to slam my ex. If anything, I DEFENDED his review of SSM.
http://3ringnecklace.com/