ktmlouie47

Why do DZ's Screw other DZ's??

B|I know of a Drop Zone that is intentionally screwing another Drop Zone. Skydive Temple has the annual Deadman Boogie on labor day weekend. They have been doing this for the past 3 or 4 years. Skydive Temple is your family type drop zone that makes you feel very welcome and is not a huge tandem factory. They cater to their Fun Jumpers and are always welcome to new jumpers. Well anyways the near by drop zone Skydive San Marcos (I thought at one time was not like this) decided to do promotional weekend and have a low cost one time fee for as many jumps as you can get in a weekend on the same weekend as the Deadman Boogie to take away from the turn out. Skydive San Marcos is a Tandem Factory that will bump you from a load for a tandem in a heartbeat which is understandable its a business right? Hmm? I know that if I were a DZO that owned a DZ close to a smaller DZ I would work with them on special weekends. Yeah on a normal weekend your on your own, but I would NEVER intentionally screw someone like this just because most of the fun jumpers end up at the boogie for the weekend. Talk about hitting someone from behind. I know that I will personally never jump at Skydive San Marcos again! Come on we are all after the same thing Blue Skies, Jumping from planes with good friends and having a good time!

And that's during USPA CP nationals at Spaceland. And SD South Texas is doing beach jumps that weekend. I think SD Dallas has something going on that weekend as well. That was the traditional AOTMB weekend, too.

Perhaps all these DZs had these things planned well in advance and they didn't call each other to make sure the others weren't doing anything?

There are really great people at each one of those DZs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

B|I know of a Drop Zone that is intentionally screwing another Drop Zone. Skydive Temple has the annual Deadman Boogie on labor day weekend. They have been doing this for the past 3 or 4 years. Skydive Temple is your family type drop zone that makes you feel very welcome and is not a huge tandem factory. They cater to their Fun Jumpers and are always welcome to new jumpers. Well anyways the near by drop zone Skydive San Marcos (I thought at one time was not like this) decided to do promotional weekend and have a low cost one time fee for as many jumps as you can get in a weekend on the same weekend as the Deadman Boogie to take away from the turn out. Skydive San Marcos is a Tandem Factory that will bump you from a load for a tandem in a heartbeat which is understandable its a business right? Hmm? I know that if I were a DZO that owned a DZ close to a smaller DZ I would work with them on special weekends. Yeah on a normal weekend your on your own, but I would NEVER intentionally screw someone like this just because most of the fun jumpers end up at the boogie for the weekend. Talk about hitting someone from behind. I know that I will personally never jump at Skydive San Marcos again! Come on we are all after the same thing Blue Skies, Jumping from planes with good friends and having a good time!

Yeah I also heard

[sarcasm]
WalMart was planning a sale over Labor Day weekend for the same items as K-Mart and Target, but nixed it because K-Mart and Target were planning the same thing.
[/sarcasm]

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

>I know of a Drop Zone that is intentionally screwing another Drop Zone.

Dude, Perris and Elsinore do this all the time. One will have a big boogie and the other will have an SSL or a bigway attempt the same weekend. Nobody thinks they are "screwing each other." Heck, on many of those weekends, Elsinore will send over their spare Otter for the bigway attempts, and teams will sometimes hitch a ride back to the other DZ.

> I know that I will personally never jump at Skydive San Marcos again!

If that's your criteria, you're going to have to avoid an awful lot of DZ's.

did you actually hear directly from SDSM's DZO that they are having thier promo weekend to "take away from the turn out" for the Deadman? unless you have factual proof that this is why SDSM is doing this, then your argument dosen't hold much water.

it's labor day weekend for pete's sake. pretty much every auto dealer, clothing and furniture store will be having a promotional weekend. why can't multiple DZs do the same?

whereever you decide to spend labor day weekend jumping- be safe and have fun!!
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

So that would mean Skydive Temple and every other DZ that is having an event that week is trying to steal jumpers from Couch Freaks, since this year is their 30 anniversary.
Any event running for longer on that week?
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

B|I know of a Drop Zone that is intentionally screwing another Drop Zone. Skydive Temple has the annual Deadman Boogie on labor day weekend. Well anyways the near by drop zone Skydive San Marcos decided to do promotional weekend and have a low cost one time fee for as many jumps as you can get in a weekend on the same weekend as the Deadman Boogie.

Which event was scheduled and advertised first?

But even that doesn't really matter. Every businessman can advertise as he wishes, and then let the best man win. Both events are a lot of fun. Different people like different vibes. I'm sure the Deadmen will do fine.

Perris and Elsinore do this all the time. One will have a big boogie and the other will have an SSL or a bigway attempt the same weekend. Nobody thinks they are "screwing each other."

And it's actually pretty smart to offer a counter programming solution to the skydivers that -don't- want to be involved in the mess of a huge 4-way competition or big-way, freefly or swoop event.

Two different drum beats attracting different types to different events.

Makes perfect sense.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Our DZ sends a Caravan over to the other competing DZ so the fun jumpers can make a lot of loads. :)
They told me years ago that they stay out of politics. They run the best DZ they can, help the others when they can, and let the jumpers vote with their pockets books. They're going into their 4th or 5th decade of business.B| I'm proud to call them my home DZ. :)

Yeah I also heard

[sarcasm]
WalMart was planning a sale over Labor Day weekend for the same items as K-Mart and Target, but nixed it because K-Mart and Target were planning the same thing.
[/sarcasm]

Haha. Those bastards... Always looking to turn a profit.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Our DZ sends a Caravan over to the other competing DZ so the fun jumpers can make a lot of loads.

Two weeks ago I went to Deland and jumped out of their Skyvan. This weekend, I went to Z-hills and jumped out of Deland's Skyvan.

I have jumped out of Deland's PAC at Clewiston and at old Lake Wales. Have also jumped their Skyvan at the Palatka Hog Flop Boogie. Bob H. is a giver.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I don't think anybody is trying to intentionally screw anybody. It's labor day weekend and DZs will want to have an event for their body of fun jumpers. I think it's great that each of the two DZs are planning something fun. Instead of being mad that another DZs event may affect the turnout of the other, I would be happy that you live in an area where multiple DZs like to plan events for their fun jumpers. We're lucky. In some places, none of the local DZs give a shit.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Skydive San Marcos is a Tandem Factory that will bump you from a load for a tandem in a heartbeat which is understandable its a business right?

I hear a lot of people spreading this type of talk about SDSM, but I've never seen it. I have seen the DZM working his ass off to keep fun jumpers in the air on a busy tandem day.

SDSM cranks out a lot of tandems, and I'm sure that's a big part of why they've got such a kick-ass facility...But anybody saying that they're nothing but a tandem factory is either mis-informed or is bitter and trying to spread shit about the place.
I got nuthin

That and Texas has more than enough jumpers to go around. :P

Incidentally, SSM is the only Texas DZ I have jumped at and it was a good time (the first Deaf World Record event). They took good care of us. Ownership may have changed since, I dunno.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Let's see SSM is screwing Temple, but sending a Caravan to Port Aransas for their beach jumping. Spaceland sends a Skyvan to SD Houston, SD Dallas and SD San Marcos. SD Houston is using an Super Otter from Spaceland until their aircraft issue gets resolved.

Looks like a lot of cooperation by all to me.

Big way and boogie events are planned by taking into consideration other events that are planned. But as several others pointed out, sometimes overlaps occur especially on holiday weekends.

Blue skies,

Jim

Ageed!

Boogies and big-ways do not mix gracefully.

For example, the last time we re-set the Canadian POPS big-way record, I was a "ringer," so had to drop my tandem rig by the bowl, sprint to the hangar - to change jump suits - sprint the length of the hangar row, dirt-dive in the prop-blast of a Twin Otter, hold at 15,000 feet for 20 minutes and do the dive.
Holy hypoxia Batman!

Ageed!

Boogies and big-ways do not mix gracefully.

For example, the last time we re-set the Canadian POPS big-way record, I was a "ringer," so had to drop my tandem rig by the bowl, sprint to the hangar - to change jump suits - sprint the length of the hangar row, dirt-dive in the prop-blast of a Twin Otter, hold at 15,000 feet for 20 minutes and do the dive.
Holy hypoxia Batman!

Sounds like it's a description of regualr DZ activities (ie students) and big ways not mixing well... Not a boogie and big ways...
Remster

That and Texas has more than enough jumpers to go around. :P

Incidentally, SSM is the only Texas DZ I have jumped at and it was a good time (the first Deaf World Record event). They took good care of us. Ownership may have changed since, I dunno.

SO who heard the dytter?:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

To clarify: This is the Fourth Annual Deadman Boogie hosted by the Texas Anvil Brothers. The first two were held at Skydive Houston in Waller, Texas. Last year the Deadman Boogie III was held at Skydive Temple in Salado, Texas. Everyone had such a good time that the Anvil Brother's voted to have it at SDT again this year.

In speaking with Paul Illingworth (DZO) at SDSM they also had the specail rate that they are offering during Labor Day this year on Labor Day last year.

Thumper MOFO
Anvil Brother