Melissa126

How did YOU afford it?

...marrying rich men and/or trading sexual favors for a ride to altitude with the pilots

That's a rather sexist comment don't ya think? >:(:$:ph34r:

There are female pilots. And don't forget the Rainbow skydivers.:o

marry rich man- yes, very sexist. and very tongue in cheek.
favors with pilot- i'm happy with boys and girls, though i sorta hate the label "bisexual" so no sex discrimination here (no i would not ever do that.. for the record...)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

i have to expend all my pent up jumping energy into frenetically typing long posts on dz.com..

Masturbate. Much better way to relieve that pent up energy. Will make your posts that much shorter since you will be typing with one hand.:)

Now we're talking!! I like the way you think!! Hmm.. gotta go..... :)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Yes or No will suffice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the above? How is this a yes or no question? lol.. Life is so much more complicated than yes/no (but i also complicate life even moreso..)

I believe the question was "Do you write books for a living?"

Did you read her profile?

Interests: Natural childbirth, natural parenting, single parenting, vegetarian and vegan cooking and dining, travel, breastfeeding activism, addiction and recovery issues, music (listening to all kinds, and I play the djembe, some guitar, and sing), art (viewing, and creating in ink, watercolor, and collage form), writing (yes I write a lot and I write quickly, I am attempting not to overwhelm people with too much text but it just sorta comes out), questioning just about everything and overthinking on occasion, working with animals, nature/being outside, warm weather, the sky, peace, love, social justice and activism, trying new things, meeting new people, and whatever else I can fit into my chaotic life and brain! Oh and did I mention the SKY :P

:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Interests: Natural childbirth, natural parenting, single parenting, vegetarian and vegan cooking and dining, travel, breastfeeding activism, addiction and recovery issues, music (listening to all kinds, and I play the djembe, some guitar, and sing), art (viewing, and creating in ink, watercolor, and collage form), writing (yes I write a lot and I write quickly, I am attempting not to overwhelm people with too much text but it just sorta comes out), questioning just about everything and overthinking on occasion, working with animals, nature/being outside, warm weather, the sky, peace, love, social justice and activism, trying new things, meeting new people, and whatever else I can fit into my chaotic life and brain! Oh and did I mention the SKY :P

~I play the djembe~

I had to google that one: Skin covered hand drum.

I thought Hell, I play one of those too! :$

Then I saw a picture of it...:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

~I play the djembe~

I had to google that one: Skin covered hand drum.

I thought Hell, I play one of those too! :$

Then I saw a picture of it...:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Thanks everyone! I refuse to have a credit card, so i'll definitely be paying cash. My DZ allows you to pay per jump so that it's not one lump some, but I'd like to have enough to be able to pay it all at once so I don't have to wait too long in between jumps, plus I get paid every 2 weeks so that makes it a little harder. I was doing tandems to get myself a more comfortable and just being able to enjoy the ride! Which was a blast, but now I need to be a little smarter financially if I want to continue this! Great stories :-)

[***reply]...marrying rich men and/or trading sexual favors for a ride to altitude with the pilots

That's a rather sexist comment don't ya think? >:(:$:ph34r:***

Hey it worked for me in the early days! (pilot, definatley not rich man part)
Though i did agree to marry him in the end, even though he was no longer a jump pilot!

To the OP, just start your AFF course, stop with the tandems.
We all figure out ways of finding the money to pay for it somehow.
It just means some of us take a bit longer than others.

How did YOU afford it?

Got a well paying job, paid off the mortgage, THEN I started on the expensive pastimes.

But you started jumping when you were OLD. Some people like to have fun when they are young.

Just answering the question asked. That's how I did it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi everyone! Newbie here. I just did my third tandem last week because I'm totally hooked (my instructor let me do some turns, pull the ripcord, attempt to land-all making me realize that I want to do this Myself!), but I now realize that I should just start my AFF by now instead of spending all my $$ on tandems.
How did YOU afford it?
I'm in the process of paying off my student loans, rent, my car, normal bills, other hobbies, etc.
Last night I litterly ate a can of green beans for dinner because "that money should go into the skydiving fund" haha.

Sold my Harley. That pretty much paid for training and most of the cost of a used rig and alti, suit, hat, etc. Also, I quit doing other fun stuff and dedicated all my free time to hanging out at the DZ.

I was up to my ears in student loan debt when I started jumping, so spent 3 years working every weekend as a packer. I made extremely good money that way, more than enough to finance skydiving. I only quit working as a packer when I got my AFF rating, so skydiving pays for itself now.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I sold my drum kit. 9 piece Yamaha Custom Tour series with 12 cymbals. It was sad to see my beautiful drums go, but it paid for my training and my first rig. As much as I miss playing drums sometimes, I've never regretted the choice.

How did YOU afford it?

Lived with house mates ($300 for 1/3 of a 3-bedroom unit instead of $600 for a 1-bedroom apartment), drove a 25 year old car that I paid cash for ($0 car payment not $300), rode a bicycle most places instead of driving...

Other people have turned to packing parachutes for $60 an hour.

It's pretty simple; if you can't generate more income then you have to spend less. The question is-what are you willing to do without? Is there anything you can sell?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's pretty simple; if you can't generate more income then you have to spend less. The question is-what are you willing to do without? Is there anything you can sell?

Kidneys and lungs are over rated... only really need one of each.

Liver, you might wanna hang on to that one ;)

Actually, I just made a list of things I can sell. I ride horses and have a lot of duplicate items that I'm going to get rid of for some cash. A few months ago I inquired about packing classes at my DZ, they said that you have to complete AFF BEFORE you take them, so that kind of rules out packing to pay for AFF. I've been pinching Every penny. I have enough in my savings to pay for it but I'd rather not Drain my account to do so just yet. Also going to try and pick up a few extra hours at the farm I help out at on the weekends.

Actually, I just made a list of things I can sell. I ride horses and have a lot of duplicate items that I'm going to get rid of for some cash. A few months ago I inquired about packing classes at my DZ, they said that you have to complete AFF BEFORE you take them, so that kind of rules out packing to pay for AFF. I've been pinching Every penny. I have enough in my savings to pay for it but I'd rather not Drain my account to do so just yet. Also going to try and pick up a few extra hours at the farm I help out at on the weekends.

It depends on how your DZ does things, I didnt take a packing class till about AFF 4 I think, yet, I know several jumpers that paid their way thru their a-lic by packing... same dz, same staff... talk to the DZ staff and tell them the idea.

Both horses and skydiving are time-consuming expensive sports if done right. Make sure there isn't a whole lot else going on in your life that can also compete.

By "time consuming" at the beginning you need to be jumping two days a month to progress; weather won't always let you, so you have to actually be at the DZ more than that. Yeah, you can do it less (there are places where the weather doesn't cooperate for extended periods), but there's a trade-off, and it's not linear.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Both horses and skydiving are time-consuming expensive sports if done right. Make sure there isn't a whole lot else going on in your life that can also compete.

By "time consuming" at the beginning you need to be jumping two days a month to progress; weather won't always let you, so you have to actually be at the DZ more than that. Yeah, you can do it less (there are places where the weather doesn't cooperate for extended periods), but there's a trade-off, and it's not linear.

Wendy P.

yes! very. I've decided to compromise, I'm not going to horseshow this year as I have been in the last, but still ride a few times after work during the week. My weekends are generally 'horse free' so that's when I'm planning on jumping (weather pending). In a perfect world I'd like to do all my jumps on a saturday or sunday, but i'll just have to wait and see how it goes :)

I housesit and dogsit for people as extra income. One wealthy family in particular who travels a lot basically paid for my AFF and rig :) Thank you Mr and Mrs Ewing!

I also stopped spending money on frivolous things like...food...you can live on rice and water for quite a while! Kidding, but I really did cut back on spending and have sold some of my belongings to pay for jump tickets.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I housesit and dogsit for people as extra income. One wealthy family in particular who travels a lot basically paid for my AFF and rig :) Thank you Mr and Mrs Ewing!

I guess J.R. is doing okay after that 'being shot' thing huh?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~