Melissa126

How did YOU afford it?

I housesit and dogsit for people as extra income. One wealthy family in particular who travels a lot basically paid for my AFF and rig :) Thank you Mr and Mrs Ewing!

I guess J.R. is doing okay after that 'being shot' thing huh?! ;)

Are you even older than me?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yes or No will suffice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the above? How is this a yes or no question? lol.. Life is so much more complicated than yes/no (but i also complicate life even moreso..)

I believe the question was "Do you write books for a living?"

ohhhh. doh. blaming the vicodin haze for now.. i thought you meant the OP question, sorry bout that.

anyways, what does my profile interests have to do with it? *shrug*

sorry for derailing your thread, OP, hope you got something useful from my reply. back on topic, at least on my end.

and i still love you (most of ya that is lol) all even though you make fun of me :P
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

credit card...

My philosophy is, if I'm going to take up a sport that can possibly kill me, then I'm going to die with as much credit card debt as humanly possible. That way I know I had way more fun in my life, than I should have been able to afford.

Don't follow my lead, obviously, I was just answering your question.

Also, at my dropzone (Skydive Suffolk in VA), once we jump more than 5 times in a day, the tickets are half price the rest of the day. So I'll do like 10 jumps for $175. On a busy day, I'll come in and pack student/tandem rigs all day to make money, and on nice, slower business days, I jump my ass off to get the discount. Lately, I've been breaking even.

In Reply To
I housesit and dogsit for people as extra income. One wealthy family in particular who travels a lot basically paid for my AFF and rig :) Thank you Mr and Mrs Ewing!

I guess J.R. is doing okay after that 'being shot' thing huh?!

I don't get it...am I missing something? I feel slow right now...please elaborate:P

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

If you dont have a job that pays really well, you suck it up and only eat noodle and cheese. Save every dime for the weekend. Sell your dog cat and whatever else is a bill every month. Ummmmmm start to wear only boogie shirts and swimming trunks. Say good bye to all the girlie things you love. Did I say only eat noodles and cheese already? Sell everything? Yeah your in trouble. Good for you.
Dom

In Reply To

I guess J.R. is doing okay after that 'being shot' thing huh?!

I don't get it...am I missing something? I feel slow right now...please elaborate:P

Not slow, you're just young.

Here:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yes, things like house sitting, babysitting, and dog walking or pet sitting can be good side sources of "fun money" Especially say if you have a dog-- you aren't really going out of your way time-wise to walk another with yours. If you have a child, bring them to babysit. And well, living in a house is just living in a house, mail and plant watering- basically free money, as long as you can present yourself as a reasonably trustworthy and respectable citizen (doesn't have to be true, just has to *appear* to be... :):P)

And yes, you will have to make sacrifices, as it seems you are learning :)

Yes, things like house sitting, babysitting, and dog walking or pet sitting can be good side sources of "fun money" Especially say if you have a dog-- you aren't really going out of your way time-wise to walk another with yours. If you have a child, bring them to babysit. And well, living in a house is just living in a house, mail and plant watering- basically free money, as long as you can present yourself as a reasonably trustworthy and respectable citizen (doesn't have to be true, just has to *appear* to be... :):P)

Just make sure your dental coverage is up to par ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Is it just me, or did anyone else think to themselves, "If you can afford to horseback ride, why can't you afford to skydive?"

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. [:/] Maybe the reason was already posted and I didn't read it...

http://3ringnecklace.com/

yes! very. I've decided to compromise, I'm not going to horseshow this year

Couldn't you just eat the horse?... Save on groceries and horse related expenses. I worked in a meat packing plant for a few years I could help. You would probably need a good size freezer though.

Taste like chicken…

Good luck and welcome to the sport. Hope to see you at STL

Is it just me, or did anyone else think to themselves, "If you can afford to horseback ride, why can't you afford to skydive?"

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. [:/] Maybe the reason was already posted and I didn't read it...

I've been riding since I can remember.. it used to cost me a lot more than it does now (owning, showing, etc.etc), but currently I have a deal worked out where I help out around the farm and can ride for free, but I have to pay for one lesson a week. So in my case, horseback riding is nowhere near what it would cost to skydive.:)

I've been riding since I can remember.. it used to cost me a lot more than it does now (owning, showing, etc.etc), but currently I have a deal worked out where I help out around the farm and can ride for free, but I have to pay for one lesson a week. So in my case, horseback riding is nowhere near what it would cost to skydive.:)

Understandable- but see, that is what I and others were trying to say about skydiving- it gets cheaper as you spend time in the sport, so by getting creative, sacrificing, going into debt (not that i advise that lol, but i think we have all been there) etc. you WILL get the that point, as you have w/ horseback riding. so just don't see it as a perpetually out of reach expense, yk?

Just make sure your dental coverage is up to par ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

Meanies!! Oh and nova I cried a big fat tear for each one of those obscenely beautiful straight-toothed happy smilies in your post, lol. Am I the only one who lacked the knowledge that dentists were so bogus!?

Anyway OP, ignore me, they just like to fuck with my head haha- but do be sure in that vein to check out your medical and dental, estate planning, pet and/or child care in case of injury, all that stuff, in the same vein as planning for your financial abilities and needs in the sport.
As someone who rides horseback, you may already be on top of this!

Good luck, blue skies (if there was a bloody crooked- toothed smile icon, i'd give ya one right about here, but there isn't so just use your imagination.. ;))

Yes, things like house sitting, babysitting, and dog walking or pet sitting can be good side sources of "fun money" Especially say if you have a dog-- you aren't really going out of your way time-wise to walk another with yours. If you have a child, bring them to babysit. And well, living in a house is just living in a house, mail and plant watering- basically free money, as long as you can present yourself as a reasonably trustworthy and respectable citizen (doesn't have to be true, just has to *appear* to be... )

Nope, I don't have kids and don't want them. No dog either, which makes it easier to stay at others' houses.

The big expense is the first year with AFF and gear, even used gear, or so I thought. I thought I was going to spend less money after that first year, but am probably spending the same amount buying jump tickets and tunnel time now. Fortunately, jump tickets where I jump are way cheaper than most places (if not all), but that just means I buy more of them!:$

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Even at about $5.00 -$7.00 per jump, I could not well afford it.

As a starving college student I could only afford to jump if I eliminated other activities.

I could do what I wanted by simply selecting what I wanted to do the most. My choices were:

1. Eat (No $$ = no food)
2. Drink (No $$ = no beer)
3. Skydive.
4. Date

All seemed to be necessary at the time. My solution was to rotate between choices whilst skimping on food costs. For about .25 cents per day I could cook up a mess of dried red beans. That bounty gave me the freedom to select yet another choice to satisfy whichever choice that fate, luck, or a lust directed me to.

Also back when the earth was flat and canopies were round, a novice could make demo jumps which were free albeit made dicey by high wind, slow canopies, and low skill.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

I waited until I could afford it.

AWW that is no fun at all!! :P

It is, however, the "right" and "responsible" answer, I suppose, so points for that.. ;)

I forgot to mention that I had to cut away my (money pit of a) first wife and that allowed me to afford it. ;) Do I get to keep my points? B|
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

i whore myself to a bank working 9-5 in a cubicle all day
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

I couldn't help but notice that there was only a 9 minute gap in there between posts.... that was some quick masturbation!
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

LOL damn you monkycndo, i will never live this one down.

so... is it still called spanking the monkey if you're a chick btw?

And for the record, with a 16 month old wild child running about, no monkey spanking gets to occur. Very sad indeed. Monkeys are nice... :)

off to the dropzone woot woot.. have fun with the monkeys tonight ya'll :P