Dessiasman

Restarting

Went through AFF back in 2005 at Skydive Hawaii, was working toward my A license when life got in the way and I had to stop (military got deployed). After that I was moved to a couple of different places and just didn’t get back started. Well I am looking to get back in the sport again! The question I have is how to do it without having the large expense again? We all know this sport isn’t cheap and I don’t want the money I already spent to go to waste. Does anyone have any advice (not “you shouldn’t have quite” I know that now) that will help me to get back in the sport?
Thanks

Go back to your local DZ.

Take your log book and any other paperwork you have from your previous training and jumps.

Talk to the instructors.

My guess is that they will at least want to do some recurrency jumps with you. Depending on your knowledge, they may want you to do a refresher course on the ground first. Depending on how you are in the sky, they may be willing to let you pick up where you left off, or you may need some level of retraining, which could be anything from a couple of extra coach jumps to repeating the entire AFF course.

15 jumps is not a lot, and 5 years ago is a fairly long time. That might suck, but this isn't golf. It's quite possible that you may have to spend money to regain that training from 5 years ago in order to be safe, but the only person who will be able to give you a definitive answer on that is an instructor who has had the chance to evaluate the skills and knowledge you've managed to retain.

This is a pretty common thing at most DZs, so don't sweat it. Hopefully you have a log book that has all your previous jumps sign-off. Go to the DZ locator in this site, and find a few of the DZs within reasonable driving distance to you (unless your original DZ is still near you and you want to go back there, which is fine). Call them and ask them what they'd require for you to get recurrent. It will probably be some sort of abbreviated refresher, but likely (maybe I should say possibly; it depends on your skills) less (and less costly) than a full AFF course, that includes a certain amount of ground retraining (or maybe just sitting thru an AFF FJC session), combined with however many skills-assessment jumps with an instructor as they decide are needed for you before they sign you off to self-supervise and/or jump with coaches to pick up your A progression where you left off.

(ETA: Brett posted while I was typing. ;))

I think it is better to actually go to a DZ to inquire rather than call. Let them talk to you in person, don't be in a rush, catch them when they're not busy, and be humble but confident (review things available on net such as the SIM - know what you should know). Of course it helps if there is an obvious DZ that you would pick to to continue your training.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think it is better to actually go to a DZ to inquire rather than call. Let them talk to you in person,

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but there may be some DZs that might have a strict, inflexible policy that he'd have to go thru every stage of AFF at full freight no matter what his skill level turns out to be, while other DZs might have a more practical approach of tailoring a recurrency program to fit him individually. A couple phone calls ahead of time might help him decide which DZ(s) to visit in person.

how about doing a few minutes in the tunnel? that is if you are near one. it might help you rember what freefall feels like. wont help with canopy control or your EP's but surely they will go through all that in a ground refresher either way its one less thing you gotta worry about getting right after a 5 year break :)

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Do you know anybody on the "Screaming Eagles" Parachute Demo Team at Ft. Campbell?

He wouldn't be able to join the team without ALOT of paperwork, due to his current unit.

However, the 101st PDT jumps up at Start Skydiving, good group of guys, and I had a couple of them as my AFF-I's for certian levels.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks all for the help. I have emaild a couple of centers in TN and KY and am waiting for responses. I have time to work on this as I still have at least a month left on a deployment. Just trying to get things in line for my return. Again thank you all for the advice!

You should expect to have to sit through the FJC course, and then make a jump with two instructors just to see 'where you are'. Your performance on that jump will dictate how they want to proceed, but you can almost count on at least one more jump with an instructor.

Five years is a long time for someone under 20 jumps. Don't be discouraged if the DZ wants to set you back further in your training than you hope. As far as they're concerned, you're just another student, and they're going to place you in the progression where you need to be based on your performance on that first jump back.

Make an effort to push through to the A license ASAP. Once you have it you always will, and it makes it far easier to come and go from skydiving if you have that notch on your belt. Even with an A, you still need refresher training and a recurrency jump after a lay-off, but it's just simpler and easier if you're licensed.

Thanks all for the help. I have emaild a couple of centers in TN and KY and am waiting for responses. I have time to work on this as I still have at least a month left on a deployment. Just trying to get things in line for my return. Again thank you all for the advice!

Yall get to go home next month?

Can I come with you?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...Even with an A, you still need refresher training and a recurrency jump after a lay-off...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

No, you don't.

I concede some DZ's may require this, but anyone who has made enough jumps to earn an "A" license does not need a babysitter, even after a year or two off. A quick briefing followed by a short solo delay is all that is needed to blow off the cobwebs. Don't be intimidated by the currency nazis.

Cheers,
Jon S.

...Even with an A, you still need refresher training and a recurrency jump after a lay-off...

No, you don't.

I concede some DZ's may require this, but anyone who has made enough jumps to earn an "A" license does not need a babysitter, even after a year or two off. A quick briefing followed by a short solo delay is all that is needed to blow off the cobwebs. Don't be intimidated by the currency nazis. Cheers, Jon S.

The SIM's recurrency guidelines, which speak for themselves, say the following (excerpt):

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section5/tabid/168/Default.aspx#970

5-2: Recurrency Training

D. Long lay-offs

1. Jumpers should receive refresher training appropriate for their skydiving history and time since their last skydive.

a. Jumpers who were very experienced and current but became inactive for a year or more should undergo thorough training upon returning to the sport. ....

USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within 60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups.

These are guidelines, and not requirements; and they use the word "should", and not "must". Other than that, as I said, they speak for themselves.

I think it is better to actually go to a DZ to inquire rather than call. Let them talk to you in person,

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but there may be some DZs that might have a strict, inflexible policy that he'd have to go thru every stage of AFF at full freight no matter what his skill level turns out to be, while other DZs might have a more practical approach of tailoring a recurrency program to fit him individually. A couple phone calls ahead of time might help him decide which DZ(s) to visit in person.

B I N G O ! B|

No, you don't.

I concede some DZ's may require this, but anyone who has made enough jumps to earn an "A" license does not need a babysitter, even after a year or two off. A quick briefing followed by a short solo delay is all that is needed to blow off the cobwebs. Don't be intimidated by the currency nazis. Cheers, Jon S.

The SIM's recurrency guidelines, which speak for themselves, say the following...

Just because it's written on paper doesn't mean it's necessary.

Anyone who's made a few dozen jumps doesn't need a full blown FJC upon his return. Nor does he need to make a static-line jump or, God forbid, a tandem.

The people I affectionately describe as "currency nazis" tend to be people who make lots of jumps & spend lots of time at the DZ. They spend much time with others who show up regularly and jump often. This is their "norm." They end up in leadership positions and write "guidelines" for the rest of us. I never would have made it through my student days (years) if their "guidelines" had been accepted policy in the early 1980's.

We've all heard the stories of the returning, uncurrent jumper who shows up at a boogie and gets on a 20-way & messes things up. This borders on insane. But there's nothing dangerous about that same jumper doing a solo with a high opening, following a briefing with an instructor or other DZ official.

Cheers,
Jon