Master_Yoda

Here's another simple question: packing

Teams usually get a packer, instructors sometimes too... fun jumpers... well, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

You pay for the packjob, not the opening! Was probably bad body position on opening;)

I've used a packer a couple times since my first packjob jump... one was after THIS jump. I'm the guy with the rig that is in my avatar... the one holding on after almost everyone else had their grips ripped from their hands... I was so tired after fighting that thing for 8 grand, I just plopped it down with $5 bucks and ate a sammich... Wore me the hell out!

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Teams usually get a packer, instructors sometimes too... fun jumpers... well, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

You pay for the packjob, not the opening! Was probably bad body position on opening;)

I've used a packer a couple times since my first packjob jump... one was after THIS jump. I'm the guy with the rig that is in my avatar... the one holding on after almost everyone else had their grips ripped from their hands... I was so tired after fighting that thing for 8 grand, I just plopped it down with $5 bucks and ate a sammich... Wore me the hell out!

A. You need to work on controlling your body more. You're spinning way too much. :P
B. Awww it wore you out? Get to the gym more! :D
C. Was the sammich good? ;)

Ps. Just bustin' yer chops....

A. You need to work on controlling your body more. You're spinning way too much. :P
B. Awww it wore you out? Get to the gym more! :D
C. Was the sammich good? ;)

Ps. Just bustin' yer chops....

A: I was tryin, that dude that was hanging onto the raft in the fetal position kept screwin me up!

B: Tell me about it... B|

C: Ofcourse, it was made by Babs at Start. Come to think of it, I got the whole meal, water, chips, sammich and brownie.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Has it become expected that licensed jumpers hire someone at the DZ to pack their gear for them???

>>>No

I kinda am not liking that idea. I'll pack my own, thank you very much. :)

Good for you.
I use packers sometimes. You don't like it? Gee, I hope I will be able to sleep tonight.
But what do I know?

If it means they know how their shit works, then yes. I can make more than enough from tandumbs. I have no problem packing for teams or people who have put their time in the sport, aka old guys;), but I think too many jumpers use packers as a luxury and have no idea what A,B,C,and D lines are, setting the nose, etc.[:/]

If it means they know how their shit works, then yes. I can make more than enough from tandumbs. I have no problem packing for teams or people who have put their time in the sport, aka old guys;), but I think too many jumpers use packers as a luxury and have no idea what A,B,C,and D lines are, setting the nose, etc.[:/]

Well good for you too. If I were a packer I would be happy to pack for anybody that would pay me the bucks.
But what do I know?

I'd say it's up to you whether or not you want to hire a packer. I like packing my own main and I'm not in a position where I can't spend the time to pack my own main, so I do. I don't think doing my own pack job has ever created an issue, and I like the opportunity to check out my gear after each jump, get to know it, and make sure all the important bits are where they need to be.

Incidentally, my current home DZ is a small club that has no paid packers. The students learn to pack when they learn to jump. I kinda like the "you jump it, you pack it" mindset.

Has it become expected that licensed jumpers hire someone at the DZ to pack their gear for them???

. :)

I keep saying this is the X (summer, winter, season, etc.) That 'I'm going to learn to pack.

But then, the packers are there... And they're so... packalicious...

And fast.

When I am just having a lazy day at the DZ I pack for myself. However when I have a tight schedule or a long series of jumps, I will use a packer.

I have learned that when team training (especially in summer), that using a packer helps me preserve my energy so that my performance in late afternoon jumps is better.

When I am teaching (AFFI), I truly don't have time to pack. If I have 20 minutes to get the last student de-briefed and the next one geared up, I need a packer. Any free time between instructional jumps is devoted to hydration and trying to sneak into the airconditionong for a moment.

Of course, I am spoiled to have really good packers to choose from. Most of my preferred packers are also rated riggers.

What I think you will find is motivating many (but not all) of those who use packers is the desire to make MANY jumps per day. As I understand it, the number of jumps most folks are making in a day at busy turbine DZs is much greater than several decades ago.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

That's a yuppie turbine thing

So, all the paid packers, that used to await around those packing-tables of many DC-3 (read: radial) DZ's, packing those paracomanders (read: late 1960's, early 1970's) were either:

1. Figments of shear fancy/wild imagination or...
2. YUPPIES! :P

LOL.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Expected?? Where the hell did you get that idea?

Hiring a packer is optional. I've never been anywhere where hiring a packer was expected. Most places have packers and for a nominal fee, you can use them if you so wish. Generally speaking, I don't use packers except for things like 4-way training camps and such where we want to maximize our coaching dollars.

Coming from a packer, I don't think enough people pack for them self enough or for that matter know how to pack.

I pay someone to pack my reserve, because I legally can't. Does that mean I don't know how my reserve works?:P

I know people who pack for themselves that can't put together their own 3-rings. Folding nylon doesn't make you a mechanical engineer. :D

My wife can't pack due to health/strength issues. But she's a hell of a good skydiver and knows how to handle emergencies. Does that make her less of a jumper?

Coming from a packer, I don't think enough people pack for them self enough or for that matter know how to pack.

I pay someone to pack my reserve, because I legally can't. Does that mean I don't know how my reserve works?:P

You answered your own question on that one.

I know people who pack for themselves that can't put together their own 3-rings. Folding nylon doesn't make you a mechanical engineer. :D
No but not being able to correctly connect a 3ring makes you an idiot.

My wife can't pack due to health/strength issues. But she's a hell of a good skydiver and knows how to handle emergencies. Does that make her less of a jumper?
Does she know how it works and how things go together? If not then yes it makes her less of a jumper. You don't have to pack to understand how your gear works and/or is maintained.

By the way, I wasn't questioning the competence of packers. I would just rather use the money for another skydive! I'm not a doctor, lawyer, CEO or rockstar. I have to WORK for a living. lol :D

i like that reply.. i'm unemployed, so i get money for doing nothing; but i do work right now, and even if they were available at my dz, i wouldnt use them! if it was always boogies, saturday nights and whatnot, i'd probably use them much more! B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You answered your own question on that one.

No, I didn't. I want to hear your opinion on whether or not I know how my reserve works. Ball's in your court.

No but not being able to correctly connect a 3ring makes you an idiot.

I just might agree with you there. ;)

Does she know how it works and how things go together? If not then yes it makes her less of a jumper. You don't have to pack to understand how your gear works and/or is maintained.

Now see, I said the same thing about my reserve, yet you didn't give me the benefit of the doubt. BTW, I've packed reserves. I just haven't completed the rating.

Back when I was jumping, I almost always used a packer. That doesn’t mean I don’t know how to pack. And you’re right, it’s a luxury, I make choices about how to spend my time and money. If I have a day to jump, I would rather spend that time jumping than packing and I’m a slow packer so it is time consuming (I like it all neat and tidy). Although, I’ll agree that there probably are too many people who don’t know enough about their gear, but not everyone who uses a packer does so because they can’t pack. Some of us just don’t want to (okay, you can call me lazy). I can pack my reserve too, but that doesn’t mean I want to.

A rigger who won't pack her own gear?!?!?!?! Well, you're so darned cute I see how you got away with it.

And who's the cute older girl with you in that photo? :):P

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Haha, funny. Actually I should start teaching my 6 year-old to pack.

I really just got my rigging ticket because I like to know how things work. And it was a challenge, someone told me I was too small to be a rigger (5'0"). So I had to see if I could. But rigging is hard work. It took every bit of my strength and most of my body weight to get that damn super strong spring down to close my javelin. All those riggers out there definitely earn their money.