lauraliscious

Skydiving and cell phones...not always the best combination

So, after several off landings and one in particular at a boogie where no one even noticed that I landed off, I ALWAYS take my cell phone with me when I skydive. I wear it in my jumpsuit (or pants) pocket and have never had any problems until this past weekend.

So, this past weekend was particularly hot and humid in north Georgia. I wore my phone, as usual, in the pocket on the leg of my jumpsuit. Easier to access it there than if it was inside my jumpsuit. So I get down from one jump and the screen is totally white. The guy at the store tells me it has gotten wet because the thing on the back under the battery has turned pink. I did not get it wet. So I *think* the condensation from the cool air at altitude changing quickly to steamy hot air on the ground caused enough condensation in my phone to cause it to stop working. :S>:(:|

So I have some questions...has this ever happened to anyone else? Would putting the phone inside a ziplock bag prevent this problem? I don't want to stop jumping with my phone in my pocket, but I sure don't want to break another one! Although this time maybe I should get the warranty. :S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

The only times I have taken my blackberry with me on jumps were on CRW jumps with a buddy, so not a lot of jumps, nor was there a rapid change in air. So I haven't experienced the problem you did.

A ziplock bag is as good as any a suggestion that I can think of. Just make sure you get as much of the air out of the bag before you seal it prior to getting on the plane. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Since I tend to own expensive, big, breakable smartphones, I got a cheap little pre-paid for skydiving. I put some important numbers in the phone book. Make sure it's charged every now and then. Turn it off and put in jumpsuit pocket for an emergency phone. Don't really care if it gets damaged ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Was this an iPhone by chance? They seem to be especially susceptible to humidity damage. My friend used to tuck her in her bra when she would go to the bars. Unfortunately after a hot humid night of drinking she got the white screen. We determined boob sweat broke it :P

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Was this an iPhone by chance? They seem to be especially susceptible to humidity damage. My friend used to tuck her in her bra when she would go to the bars. Unfortunately after a hot humid night of drinking she got the white screen. We determined boob sweat broke it :P

Awesome :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I feel like the zip lock bag could work as long as the phone stayed inside and didn't come out until it reached ambient temperatures again. I could be wrong though.

It seems like the moisture on the inside happened as a result of cold surface condensation and the warm moist environment that exists in a persons clothing when worn.

I actually like the pre-paid phone idea the best though. I'm reasonably sure you can make any old used phone into a pre-paid just by replacing the SIM card (with a prepaid SIM).

Had the same thing happen camping at a DZ. Best guess is that it was from the morning condensation. Now I have a ruggidized, water resistant, shock resistant phone (with a secret decoder ring :D )

And let me be the first to demand to see the boobs that have broken a cell phone!

D

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I actually like the pre-paid phone idea the best though. I'm reasonably sure you can make any old used phone into a pre-paid just by replacing the SIM card (with a prepaid SIM).

So long as the pre-paid SIM is from the same carrier as the phone is 'locked' to, or the phone is carrier unlocked.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

ziplock bag prevent this problem? I don't want to stop jumping with my phone in my pocket

http://www.otterbox.com

The Defender series is you friend.

I got one for my iPhone 3g, and when I get back and upgrade to the 4, I will put it in the Otterbox before I walk out of the store.

I shattered the screen on it before I deployed, ordered and replaced the screen (aint got shit to do here sometimes) and ordered the otterbox. Did the drop test as a few of the guys in my shop (who have iPhones) cringed as the phone fell about 5' straight onto concrete.

It increases the bulk of the phone, but I dont mind for the level of protection I get.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

rice.

If your phone gets wet you can seal it in a bag with rice and the rice will absorb the humidity. I would guess you could do the same thing to protect against the phone getting wet. Seal it in a baggy along with some uncooked rice, and you'll probably be good.

I think flour will be better
:)

Thanks for all the feedback. It wasn't an IPhone, it was a plain old Samsung flip phone. I've taken it jumping LOTS of times without any problems. I might try taking it apart and drying it out...it still works, I just can't see the screen (so the only people I can call are ones on speed dial). I guess I could still use the voice dial too.

Ended up adding a line of service and I got a Droid to replace it. Not going to take that thing jumping! If I can get my old phone working I might put that on the extra line and take that one jumping. I'll try the plastic bag thing with the rice. I have Verizon, so no SIM cards.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had a cell phone get humidity damaged! :S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

So I have some questions...has this ever happened to anyone else? Would putting the phone inside a ziplock bag prevent this problem? I don't want to stop jumping with my phone in my pocket, but I sure don't want to break another one! Although this time maybe I should get the warranty. :S

When I was in the 82d airborne, we did arctic warfare training in alaska and we had the exact same problem except completely different.

In our case, it was weapons and cameras... you couldn't be in -20 F. temperatures, then take your weapons and cameras inside the toasty warm +34 F. tents or you would have an M-16 popsicle and a camera that just stared at you.

So we left our weapons outside, and I kept my camera inside my jacket while outside and kept it close to the tent wall inside, so that the temperature differential was minimal, and it never froze from condensation.

So instead of ziplock bags, etc, you need to do two things:

1) change your storage strategy from ease of access to protection from the cooling airflow; and

2) INSULATE it. Instead of a ziplock, how about a sock or a sock/space blanket snippet/sock?

However you do it, the solution is to minimize the temperature differential between high, fast and cold and low, slow and warm.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

That makes a lot of sense. I just got this new jumpsuit in February and started using the leg pockets on it for my cell phone storage. My previous jumpsuit had the storage pocket inside , near the zipper on the chest. This jumpsuit doesn't have one of those or I would keep it there, maybe I'll have one added. I always felt like it was more protected there anyway. :)

That makes a lot of sense. I just got this new jumpsuit in February and started using the leg pockets on it for my cell phone storage. My previous jumpsuit had the storage pocket inside , near the zipper on the chest. This jumpsuit doesn't have one of those or I would keep it there, maybe I'll have one added. I always felt like it was more protected there anyway. :)

Like between the girls? ;)

rice.

If your phone gets wet you can seal it in a bag with rice and the rice will absorb the humidity. I would guess you could do the same thing to protect against the phone getting wet. Seal it in a baggy along with some uncooked rice, and you'll probably be good.

Better yet, disassemble the phone.

Whatever you do, whatever method of resusciating a wet cellphone, definitely REMOVE THE BATTERY as quickly as you can, as well as DO NOT TEST THE PHONE until it is 100% certain it is dry.

Water+cellphone is usually harmless (I've seen 10-minute-soaked underwater BlackBerries get resusciated), but water+electricty+cellphone equals ZAP! (internal damage) .... It may mean you may have to refrain from testing your cellphone for 3 days, but there are some amazing resusciation stories at places like HowardForums, CrackBerry Forums, etc...

Throughout the Internet are various techniques of resusciation of wet cellphones, including rice-in-bag, to more drastic such as phone disassembly, incandescent lamps, rear windshield of parked car in sun, on top of heating radiator, rubbing alcohol baths for cellphone's motherboard (in case of very dirty liquid exposure), intentionally rinsing saltwater/poolwater exposed phones under more-harmless tapwater at cruseship/beach toilets to "buy" extra time from danger of corrosion before attempting ot dry, before beginning drying process, etc. Many no-no's including never using microwaves, never using airdryers (sudden warmups and cooldowns are bad). As always, do your homework first about wet-gadget recovery...

If you are at a dropzone with some older equipment, you might be able to use a FXC test chamber which is basically a vacuum chamber. I haven't tried it, but the concept of sucking the moisture out of the phone sounds ... well .... sound.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

If you are at a dropzone with some older equipment, you might be able to use a FXC test chamber which is basically a vacuum chamber. I haven't tried it, but the concept of sucking the moisture out of the phone sounds ... well .... sound.

Or a vacuum cleaner, some tupperwear, some duct tape... ;)

Sounds like some MacGyver shit right there B|
This shit, right here, is OK

Sounds like some MacGyver shit right there B|

Nah, but you could also use a tile floor and a plunger... turkey baster and a condom (or a ballon)

Might not work as well, but a ziploc sammich bag and a bit of water might do it too...

Perhaps working on accuracy skills might render this matter moot? :ph34r:

Cheers,
Jon

Sure, but if somebody does not possess awesome skills, maybe a cell phone is an acceptable substatute. I landed out 30 times in my first 300 jumps. A cell phone was a good way for me to work out my substandard skills, and I'm still here, hahahaha.
PS: I once missed the DZ by 10 miles. Hahaha again
But what do I know?

rice.

And you have the advantage that if you have landed a long way out, you won't starve while you wait for the recovery vehicle! :)
Wouldn't a sachet or two of silica gel be the best option? Cleaner, and most people already have some since they're commonly used in packaging electronic goods for exactly the same purpose.