humblegod

will the sickness go away??

Yep, I'm quite sure of it. Doing tandems always made me feel like upchuck immediately - boah! Jumping by myself never did.

After breaking my leg, I did a tandem before jumping again. Holy Cow. Only by turning my eyes towards the sky, I was able to finish the ride down w/o puking into the fresh air ...

It's a huge difference. Give it a try. B| You'll feel good B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Please don't take any anti-sick stuff before AFF.. Check with your instructors, but I would not want to jump with someone who added stuff to his system that may slow the reflexes.

I have even felt sick under tandem, as student and instructor.. It is just not comfortable..

You will probably be fine during AFF.. Eat a normal breakfast, take plenty of fluids to drink and plan on a healthy lunch or snack.. You don't want to "not eat" because the stomach acid will kill you..

Have Fun.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

It definitely feels better jumping on your own, but Dramamine before a jump should help.

August's "Parachutist" also had a piece about improperly adjusted harnesses resulting in some queasy rides. Perhaps you could ask the instructor to check your gear and make sure you're cinched in properly? If you're continuing with tandems, that is.

Best of luck!

Try SeaBands. They are an elastic band with a hard dot that you wear on the wrist. They supposedly press on an accupressure point and reduce nausea. I don't know if it's more psychologcal than anything else but we have been using them on all our tandem students for 3-4 years and have dramatically cut down on the pukers. They are available in the same section of the drugstore as Dramamine and offer the advantage of being drug-free.

Just don't want it to handicap me during my aff!dramamine? Maybe?

Dramamine can make you drowsy and sluggish, slowing your responsiveness. I would advise against that.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

They have non-drowsy ,but don't worry not gonna chance it!!!!!!

PRODUCT LABEL:

Dramamine (non Drowsy Formula) (8 tablets) for Motion Sickness:

Provides up to 24 hours of motion sickness protection with less drowsiness For prevention and treatment of these symptoms associated with: motion sickness nausea vomiting dizziness Directions: Take first dose one hour before starting activity Adults and Children 12 Years and Over 1 to 2 Tablets once daily, or as directed by a doctor Store at controlled room temperature 20-25 degrees C (68-77 degrees F) Ingredients: Meclizine Hydrochloride in each Tablet - 25 mg Colloidal Silicon Dioxide , Corn Starch , D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake , Lactose , Magnesium Stearate , Microcrystalline Cellulose Warnings Do not use in children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor Ask a doctor before use if you have a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis glaucoma difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers When using this product drowsiness may occur; alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness

...not trying to bust your balls, just want to be accurate. ;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I felt queasy during my first tandem canopy ride- the g-force from tight turns was something my stomach wasn't prepared for. I didn't have any issues once I got to fly my own canopy. I'm actually starting to play with those fast turns now. Good luck!

Hey just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here as someone in the pre-medical field (dental school... if that counts :P ). Anyway, dramamine is simply diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Benadryl, OTC sleep aids, etc.) in a slightly different salt form -- but once it is metabolized, it is dissociated into straight diphenhydramine. I'd say it is a big no-no if you get anywhere near as lethargic and groggy as most do with Benadryl.

Also, motion sickness might get better once you're in control of your own movements and you don't have a TI doing unexpected turns or maneuvers. If YOU are the one turning right or left or flipping, etc., you'll *know* it before it happens, and at a neurological level, that can offset some of the discrepancies between what you see and what the canaliths are telling the mechanoreceptors in your ears.

A study I recently read suggested deep breathing for nausea (not just motion-induced) because the breathing center of the brain is near the part of the brain responsible for nausea-control -- and by flooding the breathing center of the brain with action potentials, it can also inadvertently trip up the chemoreceptors in the nausea center too! ;)

Good luck!

...Eat a normal breakfast, take plenty of fluids to drink and plan on a healthy lunch or snack.. You don't want to "not eat" because the stomach acid will kill you..

Have Fun.

I have to agree with TEB6363. An empty stomach and/or inadequate fluids (water is best) will always cause me problems on a jump.

Tandems should make you sick.

You should be happier doing AFF. If you get sick in the plane, that's one thing. If you got sick under canopy it was the tandem harness, and that happens to a lot of people.

I used to get motion sickness real bad. I got over it when I learned to fly. Stay away from the drugs and bullshit home remedy stuff. Just try and relax.

They have non-drowsy ,but don't worry not gonna chance it!!!!!![/reply

I have to use it all the time when I scuba dive and I have no problems, but everyone is different.

Try eating before you jump. It will help.

j

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.