CHRCNF

New to sport w/ gear questions...

I've recently taken up skydiving (and absolutely LOVE it!), and while I certainly have a number of student/coaching jumps left in which I intend on using the DZ's student gear, I have a few questions/concerns that I'd like to see addressed.

I'm 6' 0" and about 160-165 lbs (depending on how much I've eaten).

First of all, how should I go about finding a rig? I realize that with such an odd stature finding someone selling at the DZ might be out of the question. So, is buying online out of the question? I've been looking and have found a few good options (though still not ready to purchase). I'm thinking that I might be better off buying all of the components separately rather than looking for a complete rig. Any thoughts?

Additionally, what kind of gear should I look out for? Are there any brands that stand out more than others? What brands should I avoid all together? I was thinking upon obtaining an "A" license I would be ready to fly a 170-190. Are my expectations accurate?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

CHRCNF

Just my opinion, but I would worry more about getting through AFF and getting my license before looking at buying a rig. The questions you are asking are better answered by your instructors and by the time you are finished with your training you will have a pretty good idea of what to buy.
Buying a good pair of goggles and an altimiter would be a good idea.

OK, just to get you started on this:
You'll probably get a better buy getting used gear rather than new. Search classifieds on Dropzone.com to see what's available, then talk to an instructor and rigger at your dropzone about some of the things you've seen advertised.
Don't rush to buy something just because it's a good price. There will be more stuff available.
Use the search function here with keywords like "buying used gear" to see other posts on the subject.
You should be able to find a number of main and reserve canopies suitable for your size. The harness may be a little harder. Look at manufacturer's web sites to see if they have anything on sale. Look around at your DZ to see what other jumpers are using. Maybe someone will let you try on their rig, not to jump, but to see how it fits.
That's a few thoughts. Someone will come along with some more.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Get help and advice. REAL help and advice from people you know and trust. NOT the strangers, dorks and retards on here (I include myself in that list, so take this advice with a grain of salt:P).

There are great deals in the classifieds, but seperating them from the scams can be a bit difficult sometimes. Working with a reputable dealer is safer, but more expensive. That's where someone at your DZ with experience buying and selling can be invaluable (and it may only cost you some beerB|).

Seperate components or a complete rig depends on what you need/want compared to what's available. I got lucky and bought a complete rig that fit me reasonably well (with appropriate canopies) from a guy at my DZ who was getting out of the sport. Tall and thin isn't all that uncommon in this sport. Look around at all the other jumpers.

Anything fairly recent, in good condition, with any updates or service bulletins completed will be fine. Plan on paying a rigger for an inspection on any ger you get in a private purchase. Stuff from reputable dealers should be fine, but you can have it inspected too, if you choose to.

Brand loyalty is a lot like car loyalty. It's all good stuff, some people have preferences.

Although your instructors are the best judge, a wingloading of 1:1 (one pound of exit weight per square foot of canopy) is a good place to start. Keep in mind exit weight includes all your gear so at 160 or so your exit weight will be around 180-190. Get on a scale with all your gear on and see how much you weigh. You might be a bit surprised (although the student gear is pretty heavy).

Hope this helps:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

At your size, there are going to be a LOT of used rigs that will fit you, so don't feel pressured to get the first thing that comes along, there will be lots more. Take the time to get good advice on any potential buys.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

At your size, there is going to be a LOT of used rigs that will fit you

Yep. I'm 6' 155 lbs (almost exactly the same as the OP), finding used gear in my size has always been very easy.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg