Hunt_Joshua_G

AFF-1 retake

Ok, after nearly 2 years being away from the sport I signed up to retake my AFF-1. I was scared to death because my last one did not go well at all and I just about did not walk away from my landing (if you can call it a landing). There are 3 big things that messed me up that should not have.
1. Bad body position on deployment causing a line twist malfunction.
2. No contact with instructors through radio (That should not have been a problem but I panicked.)
3. Flared way high and panicked and released it at around 30 feet and smashed into the ground (Again my fault and it should not have happened.

Anyway I did my lvl 1 AFF yesterday at Skydive San Diego. This time I great body position on exit good practice touches good altitude awareness. I deployed right on time with good body position and the main opened right on heading with no problem. I went through everything I was supposed to then just enjoyed the ride till it was time to start in for landing. Just like the first time I did not get any feedback from my instructors on the ground but I was feeling much better and was not panicked.

On final approach I did not panic and flared at right about 10 feet and did a great PLF (Instructors said so). It turned out I did not even need to do a PLF because I could have stood that up with ease but I took the safe way out. The reason I had no info from my instructors was because my radio came off right at exit and I did not know nor did I rely on it.

Sorry to say I had to work after and could not do lvl 2 but I will be back next payday and do another 2 or 3 jumps. I’m hooked once again.
"When the people look like ants-PULL,
When the ants look like people-PRAY."
"Only skydivers know why the birds sing."

3. Flared way high and panicked and released it at around 30 feet and smashed into the ground (Again my fault and it should not have happened.

Did you take the two year break because you wanted to, or did the body slam caused by the forward surge on your parachute cause this?

I would almost bet money this resulted in a hard tailbone strike, and possibly a minor compression fracture.

But good to hear you are back on the saddle...

Did you take the two year break because you wanted to, or did the body slam caused by the forward surge on your parachute cause this?

I would almost bet money this resulted in a hard tailbone strike, and possibly a minor compression fracture.

But good to hear you are back on the saddle...

I suffered little more than broken pride. The 2 year break was because i was laid off of work 2 days after i did the first jump and it was 16 months before i found work again. Then the other 8 months to get bills taken care of before i could jump.
"When the people look like ants-PULL,
When the ants look like people-PRAY."
"Only skydivers know why the birds sing."

Well done! Would have been easy for you to get tense and jittery again, but it sounds like you learned a lot from your previous jump and figured out how to keep yourself calm and focussed - very impressive:)
Always be prepared for more stuff to go wrong during your training, but as long as you never let it overwhelm you you should be able to remember your training and handle whatever gets thrown at you.

Do you want to have an ideagasm?