BjornTheBear

280lbs - WTF am I going to do?

I'm from Minneapolis, and I'm 6'0" on the nuts, currently weighing in at 279lbs. I'm a big dude, always have been. The local dropzone tells me unless I'm at 220lbs, I can't do my AFF (I want to get my license).

So short of losing 60lbs, what are my options? Do I have to buy my own gear designed for bigger dudes? Or find a place that will work with me? To my knowledge, there is really only one place in the Twin Cities to jump.

I don't really have a lot of pictures of just me... so these are the best I could grab off my facebook to show you what I'm workin' with.

Thanks in advance for your help & replies!!

EDIT: fuck it, I can't seem to get pictures to work. You'll just have to click on em below. :P
Bjorn "The Bear" Iverson

>So short of losing 60lbs, what are my options?

This question comes up a lot.

You just mentioned the simplest, cheapest and safest option - lose 60 lbs.

Another option is to find a DZ that will take larger people. I've seen DZ's that go to 250lbs with specific gear - so you'd only have to lose 30 lbs.

A third option is to buy your own student rig and try to talk someone into taking you. You may be restricted to static line jumps in that case since AFF JM's will have trouble staying with you at those weights/speeds. A rig of that sort will run you around $8000 new, and you probably won't want to use it for very long due to the compromises made for student gear.

Maybe you could call Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, Illinois and ask. Might be worth a little extra drive if they can accommodate you. They're only the biggest DZ in the midwest, and just might have a little more leeway than other DZs as far as handling bigger students.

But like Billvon said, taking off 30 lbs at the very least wouldn't hurt either.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've touched 220lbs once in my life. I literally had to work out 7 days a week, 3 hours a day. Pay for a personal trainer, and eat nothing but supplements, chicken, and tuna.

I know "losing 60lbs" might seem easy, but I've tried. My frame just doesn't allow it. After a year of weight loss, and about 6 personal trainers, the upkeep just to stay at 220 wasn't practical.

30lbs I could do.... but finding the DZ to do it?

Let's say I finally make my way through, and get my license. What's the cost of your equipment rated for a 250lb guy? Is it even practical for me to try? Or is this Bear never going to fly?
Bjorn "The Bear" Iverson

Skydive Spaceland in Houston will take folks on a case-by-case basis up to that weight; lose 10 lbs and it's an easier talk, too. By the way -- in calling DZs in other parts of the country, look for their long distance numbers -- about half the dropzones in the country has 1-800-SKYDIVE as their phone number :ph34r:. Call any DZ first to talk to them and see what their guidelines are.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've touched 220lbs once in my life. I literally had to work out 7 days a week, 3 hours a day. Pay for a personal trainer, and eat nothing but supplements, chicken, and tuna.

I know "losing 60lbs" might seem easy, but I've tried. My frame just doesn't allow it. After a year of weight loss, and about 6 personal trainers, the upkeep just to stay at 220 wasn't practical.

Let's say I finally make my way through, and get my license. What's the cost of your equipment rated for a 250lb guy? Is it even practical for me to try? Or is this Bear never going to fly?

At your size and weight, I wouldn't say never.

Now if you were 420 lbs, I WOULD say never. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, that's refreshing to hear B|

Wendy's right though, call around. Look through the Dropzone database on this site. Link is in the dark blue bar near the top of the page.

Nice looking hottie there. You might want to leave her at home though unless you don't mind half the skydivers hitting on her. ;)

When I decided to jump, I weighed 255. I have dropped 25 lbs and when I jumped last week I had to to use their largest rig. Dropping the weight is the best thing to do. I viewed the first jump as reward for losing the weight. (not that anything I say around here holds any water, I'm still a newbie...)

>After a year of weight loss, and about 6 personal trainers, the upkeep just
>to stay at 220 wasn't practical.

It may not be practical to stay at that weight, but losing at least some of that weight may be a lot cheaper than trying to find a rig that works for you. And really you just have to keep it off during the student program; as you progress in the sport and gain more experience you can go up on canopy loading, which means you can gain some of it back.

>30lbs I could do.... but finding the DZ to do it?

Call around. www.uspa.org has a good list of DZ's in your area. You might have to drive a while though.

>What's the cost of your equipment rated for a 250lb guy?

New around $8000. Used around $3000 for a heavily used but reasonable system (harness/container, main, reserve, AAD.) You will have a little trouble finding gear rated for your weight, but it's doable.

Hi mate, There is no reason u cant find or put together a rig that will suit you for around $2000 - $3000. Like u said if u got down to 250 it is deffinitely do able. To stay at the 1.0 wing loading that newbies should be on you will probably need something like a 280 size canopy. There are not many 2nd hand skydiving canopies going around in that size but plenty of 7 cell base canopies like a fox or flik that will be fine for your needs as a skydiver. About while ago i knew of a guy selling a huge container that would fit a big canopy but dont know if he still has it. cheers

WTFam I going to do?

Eat less McDonalds.

Thanks for the fatguy joke, douche. I don't eat McDonalds.

To everyone else, thanks for the information. Looks like I'll need to find something in the middle of losing some weight, and finding a DZ to work with me.
Bjorn "The Bear" Iverson

WTFam I going to do?

Eat less McDonalds.

Thanks for the fatguy joke, douche. I don't eat McDonalds.

To everyone else, thanks for the information. Looks like I'll need to find something in the middle of losing some weight, and finding a DZ to work with me.

Best of luck dude, and don't mind the guy under the bridge. :ph34r:

Well, that's refreshing to hear B|

I started jumping 35 years ago at 240#...I'm in the 230 range now. :$

So anything is possible! B|

You won't need 'special' gear when you start buying your own...just bigger stuff than these popcorn fart lightweights use and there is plenty of it around!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sure is! In 35 years he'll be able to call skydive spaceland and maybe book himself!
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Sure is! In 35 years he'll be able to call skydive spaceland and maybe book himself!

Hey DGIT when your input is needed I'll throw ya a fish...:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm too lazy to read through all the responses so maybe this was already touched on. But just to lose weight stick with mainly cardio. I'm sure you know muscle will make you put on weight. Since I stopped working out I've actually gotten a little fatter but am lighter.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Skydive Chicago will take tandems that weigh up to 250lbs, and sometimes past that if an instructor is willing to take you. They have graduated people from the student program who have weighed way more than 250. Give them a call at 815-434-0000 and ask for David E.
"I love when humans fly,"

Ralph Hatly (1800-callralph) used to rent a tandem rig modified for big boys, if you do find a dz willing to take you up but lacks a rig, if its a dz he is familiar with he may be willing to send the rig for your use, will cost you extra on a per jump basis plus shipping to get it there, but most dz's are probably not going to have something on hand that will accomodate you.
Call Ralph and verify that he still has it prior to talking to the dz would be my suggestion so you dont get your hopes up.

Roy

Ps: daym you be big!:D

Pps: dont give up, it can be done

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Unless you have a thyroid problem or some other illness, losing weight is not that complicated... work off more calories than you consume. I've been in fitness for a long time. Eat raw food, don't consume sugar or processed meals, don't consume large amounts of meat or fatty foods. Eat small meals. Do cardio workouts. Don't overstuff with carbs. I cut all the time and those are the golden rules.

Your body will thank you for losing 60 lbs, and so will the people you jump with. Its not fun to constantly work your ass off to stay with an overweight person on a jump. The bigger you are, the more baggy your jumpsuit will have to be to slow you down.

Losing weight is your best option. It will benefit you as well as your instructors and fellow fun jumpers.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8