Beachbum

TeXXas 20 way revival??

ok ... I've heard a number of people mention that they'd like to get these going again over the past couple of years. I'm finally getting to a point where I could take part too, so I'm now joining those who would like to see them up and going again ... LOL!!! SOOOOO .... what's it going to take to make it happen??

1) Find someone with the contacts, pull, and drive to MAKE it happen (how about it Chuck?).
2) Contact Madolyn to be sure the name can be used without repercussion.
3) Pick a place and date, and get started (I'm sure we could talk TB into hosting)!!
4) ?????

I think it's an "if you build it they will come" deal ... I'll pitch in wherever I can ... just let me know ... :)

Who all is interested?
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Cool!!! ... thanks Todd!

Now I just need to get hold of Madolyn (the email address I had is no longer good ... working on locating a new one now), and get a date. Todd ... I'll try to catch you when you aren't TOO busy this coming weekend to discuss that, and other considerations.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

okay, i'll bite, what's a teXXas 20 way?

A team competition with team sizes of 20 jumpers, held in Texas, hence the Roman numeral "XX" in the spelling of "TeXXas".

It's also a reference to a 20-way star-shaped formation, similar to the Lone Star on the Texas flag, as shown in message #8 with a photo attachment.

15 to 20 years ago this was a very popular annual event in Texas, which drew teams from all over Texas as well as Louisiana. I think the largest event had about nine teams compete. It was run by Madolyn Murdock, a former USPA regional director, and Laird Cogburn, both Houston jumpers.

In the glory days of old Skydive Spaceland, that drop zone alone would field two to four teams.

eventually . . . is the key word.

i had no business being on a jump that I was on once - way noob - we called it a 2 ton teXXas 20 way . . . 20 guys with at least 200lb exit weight . . .

no one died . . . no one got hurt . . . but not for a lack of trying.:o

:D:D:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

eventually . . . is the key word.

i had no business being on a jump that I was on once - way noob - we called it a 2 ton teXXas 20 way . . . 20 guys with at least 200lb exit weight . . .

no one died . . . no one got hurt . . . but not for a lack of trying.:o

:D:D:D

Yeah I certainly don't have any business looking for 20 ways as soon as I get current. But after a 100 jumps to get back to where I was, hell yes!

Nice sig by the way.

okay, i'll bite, what's a teXXas 20 way?

Here's one...thanks going to Chuck Akers.

Actually that (TeXXas Star) 20-way was co-organized with Bruce Crawford. Bruce is one hell of an organizer and knew the folks on the load, so he took the lead on a lot of the important stuff.

Maybe we'll team up next year for some even bigger-ways! TeXXXXas 40-ways at The Farm??:o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

not yet ... found out that 2 email addresses are no good, and have sent mail to a third that at least didn't come BACK yet ... have also sent via Facebook ... no response so far. I'll holler when I manage to get hold or her.

ok ... I got a reply from Madolyn ... no problems from that end ... :)

edit to add ...

OK folks ... we're going to get this thing going!! Stay tuned for more when we have it. Once the date/location are set I'll get something in the events section.

ok ... I got a reply from Madolyn ... no problems from that end ... :)

Here it is, for those who haven't tracked it down on Facebook:

To those of you looking for me regarding organizing a 20 way.
by Madolyn Murdock on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

OK. I'm responding here to the influx of emails, and chats looking for me regarding TeXXas 20-way. I didn't know I was hiding or lost.

Organize a 20-way meet already! Have fun. You don't need me or my permission. I've got no problem with it and Laird can chime in if he wants to but I'm guessing that he doesn't care either. Call the meet whatever you want.

I must warn however that it will be very tough to recreate. The warm fuzzy that people still have about the TeXXas meets are not about the name, the place, the organizer, or the competition rules (or lack of). It's not really about the sky dives, even though they were fun, challenging, and memorable.

TeXXas 20-way has become part of the regional skydiving folklore because it was the perfect blend of camaraderie and fun with a touch of local rivalry. It was more than a competition and boogie; it was a "tribal gathering". It was being with people that made you laugh so hard that beer came out your nose.

It started as just a way to get friends out to skydive early to make a few good jumps and was organized from the back of Laird's pick up.

I guess it was the right event at the right time, and over the years that we organized, it drew jumpers from 27 states and 7 countries. It's cool that the TeXXas legend has grown as retold around campfires and kegs to become sort of the Woodstock of Texas skydiving meets.

Good Luck. Let me know the date and maybe I can come judge if invited. I haven't had beer come out my nose in awhile.