ovambo

Prescription goggles

anybody have experience of/comments on the use of SportRx or Wiley X goggles with prescription lenses?

I have a pair of wiley x air rage with rx lenses I use for skydiving and mountaineering and would HIGHLY recomend them.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I have a pair of sportrx G117 goggles that I used for a long time. I also just bought a pair of Liquid Eyewear sunglasses that I am now using for skydiving. I like Liquid sunglasses much more then my sportrx.

www.liquideyewear.com

Liquid also does prescriptions as either an insert or the lens itself (RX dependent). And they hook skydivers up, so tell them your a skydiver.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

how about lasik???

LOL... I like this reply.

Don't know when I'll be getting lasik done as I have other plans for my money right now. ;)

Anyone know of any goggles that have pop out lenses? Clear lenses for night and dark for the day...maybe even transitions? I'm getting really tired of using the tandem goggles.B|

I'm getting really tired of using the tandem goggles.B|

Lol, we are following the same path. I just ordered some Sorz and Peerser goggles after my first jump. I wear contacts and wanted something that would work better than the pretty worn and cracked goggles at the DZ. Figured I would get both those brands and see how they do. Lasik is on my list as well, but for now $30 sure beats $4500...

I had a pair the worked ok, but they disappeared...the "regular" ones press my glasses against my eyelids. Instructor noticed this on my E1...asked on load up what I would do if my goggles and glasses flew of my face in freefall....pull! lol

PLUS...now that I get to ditch the jumpsuit I trying for the "cool" skygod look that the ladies seem to like so much. LOL

Let me know how yours work for you. Going to keep working on some of the E stuff and I don't trust the goggles.

Anyone know of any goggles that have pop out lenses? Clear lenses for night and dark for the day...maybe even transitions? I'm getting really tired of using the tandem goggles.B|

I've used Adidas Elevation Climacool for a couple of years:
http://sportrx.com/order.asp?product_id=AD18

You can change the lenses and there are quite a few different lenses for it. I mostly use clear lenses for jumping and tinted lenses when using them as sunglasses.

I lost the foam part once when hurrying from one balloon jump to the next and had the goggles hanging around the neck, so I bought a new one. The foam part has now started to come loose at the nose though.

Quite nice, but you have to pay extra for having to advertise the brand....

Liquid Eyewear can do both RX inserts or lenses depending on the corrective level of the RX. Likewise, you can add the foam gasket around the frame of the glasses if you want that goggle type of fit.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I jump Wiley X prescription transition goggles and have had several issues. First, I lost a lens on the walk back from the landing area one day because they tend to pop the lens if the frame gets more than a minor flex. Second, they fog up like a mofo even with religious application of anti-fog. Third, the gaskets aren't attached the best and are like $15 to replace one.

Having said that, I can't imagine jumping without prescription transitions, and it's enough to make me reservedly recommend the Wiley's even with their issues, though I think I'm going to take Scott's advice and check out Liquid.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I am interested in Prescription Liquid Eyewear, but would like to try on the sunglasses before purchasing. I used the store locator on their webpage and the closest store to Cincinnati is about 200 miles away. That ain't happening.

Any clue on how I could see how they fit? Do they ever show up at boogies?
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I am interested in Prescription Liquid Eyewear, but would like to try on the sunglasses before purchasing. I used the store locator on their webpage and the closest store to Cincinnati is about 200 miles away. That ain't happening.

Any clue on how I could see how they fit? Do they ever show up at boogies?

They do travel to boogies, Bike ralleys, monster truck shows, MX and road races as well as rock concerts but to answer your question, give them a call and ask them to send you a pair to try on before you buy. If you don't like them, you can send them back. Tell them you're a skydiver too, skydivers get the hook up.;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for the info. I got on the website and found the boogies and events. They all seem to be centered near Arizona. I also narrowed my choice down to either the Player or the Gasket. Since they are solid aluminum and have no hinge, my head would have to be square for them not to fit.
Do you have any thought about which of the two is better for skydiving. I am going to have them put a prescription lense in it (weak prescription-my eyes are pretty good).

Also - is the foam insert worth the $20.00

In my case, my eyesight is good enough I don't normally wear glasses . I do have a single pair of prescription sun glasses that I occasionally wear when driving and they are falling apart.

I am planning on buying a new pair of seldom worn sunglasses so I might as well get a pair that I can use for skydiving.

And there is the 'cool looking' factor ;)

You'd have to talk to someone else about contacts and goggles. I have no experience with them.

Thanks for the info. I got on the website and found the boogies and events. They all seem to be centered near Arizona. I also narrowed my choice down to either the Player or the Gasket. Since they are solid aluminum and have no hinge, my head would have to be square for them not to fit.
Do you have any thought about which of the two is better for skydiving. I am going to have them put a prescription lense in it (weak prescription-my eyes are pretty good).

Also - is the foam insert worth the $20.00

It depends on how much coverage you like and the shape of your face. The Player has a smaller sized and shaped lens and the Gasket is closer to your normal sized lens and coverage. The models that have hinges are not your typical sunglass hinges, they are as sturdy as the glasses themselves. Meaning your not going to break a hinge by sitting on them or twisting the arm within reason. I wear Gaskets and skydive with them no problem. I've worn them for everything from wigsuiting, RW, FF and in the tunnel. I don't use the foam insert as the glasses are meant to be molded by you to fit the shape of your face, so mine are as close as they can get without my eyelashes touching the lens. As a result, I don't need the foam insert. I've used it but preferred them without, some people do like it however.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've used Adidas Elevation Climacool for a couple of years:
http://sportrx.com/order.asp?product_id=AD18

You can change the lenses and there are quite a few different lenses for it. I mostly use clear lenses for jumping and tinted lenses when using them as sunglasses.

I lost the foam part once when hurrying from one balloon jump to the next and had the goggles hanging around the neck, so I bought a new one. The foam part has now started to come loose at the nose though.

Quite nice, but you have to pay extra for having to advertise the brand....

Looks interesting. Do you have a problem with fogging?