twodarhythm

First rig questions...

I want my own rig! ...and im tired of renting gear :-) I have about 35 jumps, 5'8", 160lbs... i have only gone down to a 190 but want to downsize to a 170 right about now. I'm just looking for any suggestions, recommendations, etc... It will be greatly appreciated. :-D I know nothing.

Get a Dolphin! I probably paid a little too much for mine, $1650 for an '02 container with a Tempo 170 reserve and a Triathlon 160 main, but it gets the job done. You could probably find a good deal on one if you call some dropzones. At the DZ in Dallas they've got a '96 Dolphin with a Sabre 150 and a similar size reserve for $1200. If you'd like to get into freeflying, Altico will install some tuck tabs for $260.

Listen only to your instructors, dzo, and me.... They know you and your abilities, and will likely find you a better deal than you can find on your own.

As far as folks swearing a particular rig is the "the best" out there, well... that's kinda like folks swearing that there's nothing better than a fiery red head with big hooters and a rock hard ass! While it may be true... banging a blond, brunette, Asian, or Indian will certainly get the job done, feel great during the ride, and put a F'n smile on your face! ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Out of my own personal experience I purchased a Vector3 when I had 40jumps. I stuffed the absolute largest size within the container and then a size larger.....this was merely due to the fact that I purchased a PULSE from PD which packs about a 1.5 times smaller than a traditional 9 cell such as a sabre2. Sure packing was an absolute B***h but hey this way you can keep your container for quite a while.

I highly recommend a Vector simply because of the way it contours to my body, the features and its an absolute solid rig. Nothing flapping around nor anything coming "accidently" open plus they are freefly friendly!

Also if you happen to be going to any boogies try and find something that you might be able to demo and get a feel for it

Any questions feel free to pm me! Hope ya find what you're looking for
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Buy used gear & test demos until you KNOW what size canopy will keep you happy... THEN buy new gear.

Try and find a container that will fit the largest and smallest of the size canopies you believe you will be jumping.

Here is a "PIA Canopy Study" with sizes and pack volumes to compare. Print 'em out and bring 'em to your instructor when you ask him about it.
http://www.rigginginnovations.com/forms-docs/documents/pia%20volume%2006-09.pdf

And this one is just PD canopies only but is still a good reference. http://www.performancedesigns.com/packingchart.asp

As far as folks swearing a particular rig is the "the best" out there, well... that's kinda like folks swearing that there's nothing better than a fiery red head with big hooters and a rock hard ass! While it may be true... banging a blond, brunette, Asian, or Indian will certainly get the job done, feel great during the ride, and put a F'n smile on your face! ;)

I think I met her in college...

got to be in the running for post of the week, too.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

mirage

Yes, definitely a Mirage! The best rig out there!

And just what, EXACTLY, sets a mirage a step ahead of say a Wings, Vector 3, or Icon?

The Ads!!!:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

mirage

Yes, definitely a Mirage! The best rig out there!

And just what, EXACTLY, sets a mirage a step ahead of say a Wings, Vector 3, or Icon?

The Ads!!!:)

Naked women can do a lot for actual quality.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

My wife owns a mirage. I fucking hate it. Hate pacing it. Curse every time I close it.

But it is all personal preference. I love my Javelin. Would NEVER purchase a Mirage for me. They ought to spend their time that they spend to make cute ads to making a decent rig easier to pack, and improve their atrocious customer service. "9 weeks for a new rig" - good luck.

Again personal pref, and just my opinion. I have friends who love Mirage, and my wife likes hers.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Get a Dolphin! I probably paid a little too much for mine, $1650 for an '02 container with a Tempo 170 reserve and a Triathlon 160 main, but it gets the job done. You could probably find a good deal on one if you call some dropzones. At the DZ in Dallas they've got a '96 Dolphin with a Sabre 150 and a similar size reserve for $1200. If you'd like to get into freeflying, Altico will install some tuck tabs for $260.

UUUHHHHHHHHHH...Dont do that.....Why waste your money?/Even if it is just a small amount..Get a top quality used rig..You can find great rigs for around $2500 all day...Then put 200 jumps on it ,sell it and custom build your own..Just my thought..Just not a fan of buying shit cause its cheap..Imean...Not saying Dolphins are shit,Ok i am..Sorry Dolphin...I know me..I want the baddest,best, most advanced rig available up there.:$Not trying to sound like a prick..But i am one...Cheese bitches....

I would get a Wings they have some great package deals if you look in the right places and wings are great for new jumpers all the way up to instructors so you cant go wrong.

The problem with getting a dolphin that I have noticed first hand is that the riser covers and reserve flaps on these rigs seem to open during free fall all the time and not too long ago a buddy of mine had a premature opening while in a sit with a dolphin rig so it's not very freefly friendly if you're looking to freefly soon if you have not already.

Hope this helps
B.A.S.E. #1734