cbrown1311

Skydiving no no's

As a new skydiver, I was just wondering what are the big things you should never do, like for instance deploy on your back? I know this is a question for my instructor and believe me, he will get this question as well but I'm a big fan of getting multiple opinions.

Thanks for any replies
Craig

Here is a great thread.

"Stupid things I have done" Thread

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1130378;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Also go read the Incidents forum and learn what NOT to do on a skydive and learn the different ways people injury and kill themselves.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=14;

Never disrespect the people who took the time to teach you.
Even if one day your skills surpass theirs.

If it wasn't for those people who took you under their wing in the beginning, odds are you would not be where you are today.

In my opinion... this is a question for your AFF instructor... if you want more than one opinion then ask other AFF Instructors. One never knows whom you are getting advice from on dropzone.com... you want to take these questions to experienced AFF instructors and a mentor at your DZ that you trust... not some potentioal 100 jump wonder on DZ.com.... (not meant to offend anyone, afterall I begani by saying this was just my opinion)

The Golden Rules
(due to Roger Nelson)

Rule #1.................Land safely under an open parachute

Rule #2.................Land safe, not close

Rule #3.................Leave room for error

Rule #4.................Stay ahead of the jump

Rule #5.................Always have a plan

Rule #6.................Know thy Altitude

Rule #7.................Know when to say no

Rule #8.................Never give up

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As a new skydiver, I was just wondering what are the big things you should never do, like for instance deploy on your back?

For starters, I'd say "never jump out of an airplane unless you understand your pull priorities". But that's just me...
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Open your parachute
If your parachute doesn't open, open your reserve
if your reserve doesn't open,
track for your rigger!!!
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

under 1000' feet don't fly over anything you don't plan on landing and you are not an airplane so this also means the runway.>:(

Glad we have a kick ass pilot or sunday would have been shot to shit cleaning up a headless dipshit.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Pull.
Pull at a safe altitude.
Pull at a safe altitude while stable.

Save your ass.
Save your ass high in the air.
Save your ass without flailing like a geek.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

As a new skydiver, I was just wondering what are the big things you should never do, like for instance deploy on your back? I know this is a question for my instructor and believe me, he will get this question as well but I'm a big fan of getting multiple opinions.

Thanks for any replies
Craig

Umm . . . never say never . . . trust me . . . going ion with any or your handles still in place will get you a little grief ;). . . pull on your back if that is your only option to pull.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Slightly less simple rules, in order, for all parachuting activities:

-know your gear and keep it correctly assembled and packed.
-Know what you are doing, I do not always have a complete plan but I always have an out.
-Don't crash into anything or anyone.
-pull.
-pull on time.
-pull stable.
-fly it
-Don't crash into anything or anyone
-Don't turn too low
-Flare

-SPACE-

Never jump when you don't feel comfortable in doing so. That being said, there is a huge difference between doing something just outside of your comfort level and just not wanting to make that particular jump. If something doesn't "feel right" because of winds/clouds/your mental state/whatever, stay on the ground.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

under 1000' feet don't fly over anything you don't plan on landing and you are not an airplane so this also means the runway.>:(.

Why would a plane be at 1,000' over the runway?

That would seem to be one of the safest places to be at that altitude.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Never assume that you're the only canopy in the sky. You may be at a small DZ, but there WILL be others in the air with you.

Sometimes, you may not see the other canopies, so the best you can do is fly a predictable, conventional pattern (downwind, base, final) to help them see YOU. This does NOT mean spiraling down directly over the top of the landing area -- or anywhere else in the pattern.

Oh... and don't land on the same runway that's used by those contraptions with the fixed-wings and spinning metal blades. Hashem will get mad if you break his airplane.

under 1000' feet don't fly over anything you don't plan on landing and you are not an airplane so this also means the runway.>:(.

That would seem to be one of the safest places to be at that altitude.

Ever hear of a go-around? An aircraft is likely to get back to pattern altitude (like 1,000 ft) immediately, while maintaining runway heading.

* Don't land into oncoming traffic.
* Don't turn low in order to land upwind... or to avoid oncoming traffic.
* Don't avoid learning how to land down wind.
* Don't look up at your canopy (or other canopies) while on final.
* Don't limit your canopy flight learning to the slim parameters of your comfort zone. Stretch yourself. Learn wisely by seeking the knowledge of reliable canopy pilots, not by being your own instructor. (That is not what is meant by "one-on-one teaching".)
* Don't be first to the loading area. It's tacky. But don't be last. It's rude.
* Don't get on the plane until you're ready to get off the plane.
* Don't lie to the S&TA when you get busted for pulling low. Own up to it and take what you have coming.

In the pattern on its way to a different runway. Some airports have more than one runway, you know.