ChrisL

expensive day at the DZ...

Two stories of these small cameras tumbling down from altitude...wonder when they're gonna hit something that matters.
Sorry for your loss.

add a 3rd, buddy lost one on opening..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Two stories of these small cameras tumbling down from altitude...wonder when they're gonna hit something that matters.
Sorry for your loss.

Have no big cameras ever come tumbling down?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Have no big cameras ever come tumbling down?

It is much less common. People who jump bigger cameras don't just "turn them on and forget about them" - they plan their dive taking the cameras into account, thus minimizing the odds of an unexpected door/tail/jumper/riser strike.

>Have no big cameras ever come tumbling down?

It is much less common. People who jump bigger cameras don't just "turn them on and forget about them" - they plan their dive taking the cameras into account, thus minimizing the odds of an unexpected door/tail/jumper/riser strike.

I remember Carl Boenish losing the lense out of one of his big ole Nikons once; it formed a pretty good crater in the earth...

I have one mounted on the right side of a Gath Gedi. Try using the anchor cord that comes with it,, thats what I have,, I drilled a tiny hole on the helmet, then anchored the camera there. If it gets knocked out on exit or ff, the anchor keep it floating around,, so you just grab it and insert it back into the rails.
Cheap solution, but works.

Try having someone stealing your rig...

:(

I still have a tough time wrapping my head around that one. A skydiver ripping off another skydiver??? Damn. That's lower than low. I hope anyone who would do that ends up bouncing... or hit by a truck. Whichever comes first.

I still have a tough time wrapping my head around that one. A skydiver ripping off another skydiver??? Damn. That's lower than low. I hope anyone who would do that ends up bouncing... or hit by a truck. Whichever comes first.

It happens more often then you think.

:|

It happens more often then you think.

:|

So in other words, lock up your kitbag and all other loose items in your truck while on a jump... :(

I suppose even a pack matt & lawn chair isn't safe anymore?

Lost my new ContourHD 1080p in freefall.

Just caught it on the door on exit.

How was it attached to your helmet? I'm assuming that you used the mount that comes with the camera and no leash. The mount that comes with the ContourHD is not ideal. If you don't knock it off in the exit, you're at least as likely, if not more so, to have it knocked off by your risers or opening shock at deployment. There are better mounting options out there for the ContourHD, such as the universal mount adapter, the waterproof mount case or even a full box.

That sucks. How long ago did you get it? If you bought it on a credit card, some banks cover a loss if it's within a certain time period. Might be worth looking into.

How did you have it mounted? I've seen a lot of crappy methods to mount Contours. I don't want this to sound like an ad but I found this mount searching around last night and ordered one this afternoon. I'm planning to use it for hiking and climbing and eventually want to mount it to my helmet for jumping (next summer).

You can also get adapter plate that mounts to 1/4 screws which are pretty standard for tripod mounting. Anything has to be better than the crappy goggle mount that it comes with.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Bummer man.

This is my GoProHD setup..

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/IcarusPilot/GoProsetup1.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/IcarusPilot/GoProsetup2.jpg

As you can see I'm using the default mount that comes with it, but I also have a small plastic strap routed through some holes I drilled in the helmet and a pullup cord through the plastic strap and then through the top plastic thing (that you snap shut) on the camera case (took this idea from a colleague skydiver).

This increases my chances of saving the camera if it gets knocked or whatever (it already happened to me once during a 3way train exit when I got pulled out the door like a ragdoll without properly bending over, luckily nothing broke off).

Yeh yeh, you will say "what if you get your lines snagged and they don't rip off your cam and put your neck in danger", the snag hazard is not high if you don't put your head in an ankward position during the opening and I can always unclip my helmet if it doesn't break my neck first :P

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean