jaffo

How many of the military people on here learned to skydive in the civilian world?

I learned to jump in the military...I learned to skydive in the civilian world...let's hear opinions!!!
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I learned to jump in the military...I learned to skydive in the civilian world...let's hear opinions!!!

Learned civilian side, went thru jump school after I already had my B
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm active duty Navy in San Diego and I did all of my AFF course at Skydive San Diego. It took me 2months (March-May) to get qualified with my horrible schedule but I manged to do it eventually! Been loving it ever since...;)

Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

I did Army Airborne but all of my freefall has been civ. As a Marine only a handfull of us are freefall qualed. I was even in one of the units that do both static and MFF. But going to the MFF school house is still only a pipedream after 20 years in!
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

When I was in the Army Reserve - back in the 1970s - I requested military jump school three years in a row. Only the colonel's son went.

So I started jumping with a local civilian club and made 100 skydives before attending Basic Para' (static-line) and qualifying for to join the Skyhawks Exhibition Team.

Then I made 6,400 civilian skydives.

Started out doing static line jumps for the military then started to work towards my Civ. skydiveing lincence. Did about 12 jumps before haveing to deploy, came back and went to military free fall school and used that to complete my Civ. lincence. So I guess you can say I learned thru both

I also learned on the civilian side first. Just got my jump wings 2 days ago :)

Congrats!

Your home DZ is STF, but you live in COSP? Thats a hell of a drive!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have more than 100 jumps from helicopters in the Navy, not one did I have a parachute on B|.

All my skydives are while on liberty.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I've had two reserved seats for BAC and had to let them both go due to "operational commintment", finally decided that I wasn't going to wait any longer for the Navy to pay for it and went through AFF on my own dime.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

Another civilian learner here. I love that skydiving has been fun and not stressful or heavy laden with gear, plus I kind of feel like I can do without round canopies (and PLF's though of course I keep it in the back of my mind that I might have to do it should I misjudge the conditions or something).

I hope I didn't convert this into a landing thread... if so my bad.