cbrown1311

Skydiving with age

Hello everyone, as a student who has recently completed his AFF training, I'm interested to hear what experienced skydivers have to say about their opinions of skydiving as they age. For instance, do you find it harder/easier to find the time/money/motivation to skydive? How do you feel about skydiving when you have children? Do you find your skydiving friends fade away as you age or do you become closer/jump more often? I'm pretty young still, but these things are just around the corner and I'm wondering how these things have affected others' views on the sport?

Thanks for any replies,
Craig

Hello everyone, as a student who has recently completed his AFF training, I'm interested to hear what experienced skydivers have to say about their opinions of skydiving as they age. For instance, do you find it harder/easier to find the time/money/motivation to skydive? How do you feel about skydiving when you have children? Do you find your skydiving friends fade away as you age or do you become closer/jump more often? I'm pretty young still, but these things are just around the corner and I'm wondering how these things have affected others' views on the sport?

Thanks for any replies,
Craig

I jumped from when I was 16 till 20. Then got married and had kids early - and am looking to start jumping again in 3 or 4 years time when the youngest are mid-teens. I figure if anything happens to me kids will be old enough to have their own lives and wife would be more than happy to trade me in for a newer model:o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Thanks for any replies,
Craig

I started when I was 24, in Dental school. Since then, I have moved to CA, bought a dental practice, gotten married, had children, gotten divorced, gotten remarried, sent kids to college, jumped with my kids, and travelled the world....jumping.

Some of my jump buddies have faded away, some have passed away, but the core group are my closest friends in the whole world. They have been with me through all the above and more adventures to continue. We used to just jump together, but now we travel, get together for dinners, and do other wild adventures.

It is up to you what happens with the sport, you invest in it, it will pay you back in fortunes (in friends, memories, and miles of smiles).

Good luck!
Jump more, post less!

Look up Jim Hickey. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but I see him at elsinore everytime I go. Did a tracking dive with him on sat and he rocks! I often see him in a wingsuit and just watched a video of him base jumping and from what I hear he has only been skydiving for less than 5 years. Dude is old but as bad as they come!

I made many military jumps in the 70s. Then I raised kids for 20+ years. At age 46 I came back to the sky. I'm closing in on 2000 jumps and I'm an AFFI, TI, and I earned my AFFI at age 53. Age is but a number.the old saying goes. ... people don't quit skydiving because they get old; they get old because they quit skydiving.

steveOrino

I'm interested to hear what experienced skydivers have to say about their opinions of skydiving as they age.

:D:D:D

And that was taken (drawn) before there was commercially available inks . . . that was done by berry juice and insect guts.:o:ph34r::ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Craig, I started when I was 20 and the world of skydiving was round only. I made a lot of jumps and life got in the way when I was 32 and the gear stayed in the closet (by then a pretty hot square). At 59 with a grown son, I went through recurrency and bailed out again, ostensibly to finish a memoir, "Between Heaven and Earth: An Adventure in Free Fall." I found myself back in the sport after a 25 year layoff. My son is 23 and on his own, and my wife is disabled from a stroke she suffered 7 years ago. I can't get away every weekend the way I did when I was hard core. I don't rack them up, but I bought used gear and get out to the DZ whenever I can -- it's a stress reducer. No longer the sky god I once thought I was, and I certainly ain't swoopin' but I still enjoy an air bath with all the other old farts who are still doing it. Somehow this great sport stays with you....
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Having been skydiving for 35 years, my answer to you is this:

skydiving never gets old, it keeps you from getting old (or acting old), and blesses you with the greatest friends you'll ever find.

Welcome to your new life!B|

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Thanks for any replies,
Craig

I wish i would of started 10 yrs;) ago....But i m married ,3 kids and run my own business.I just love jumping and its what i do.....Make it happen..

I started jumping when I was 22 and single.
Back then I was poor, but had loads of time to jump.
I stopped jumping from 32-36 and had a couple of kids.

I started jumping again a year ago at 37.
I now have a lot more money, but unfortunatley, not so much time to jump.

I'm probably more motivated and in love with the sport than ever.

It's kinda funny how now, at 28, I make the most money I've ever made, but yet, I have the least "mad money" after i balance the checkbook as I have ever had.

Nothing funny about that. Buy things with credit you can't afford to buy immediately with cash or buy an expensive house or car outside of your budget to keep up with the Jones. Then when you get a raise and make more money, buy more stuff. In the end you have "I make the most money I've ever made, but yet, I have the least "mad money" after i balance the checkbook as I have ever had".

well there is the financial aspect, the emotional aspect and yes,,,, the physical aspect....:|

costs are greater now, than they ever were.. [:/] we used to get a jump to 7,500 for 5 dollars....
then it seemed like 13,500 was 16 dollars,, for quite a while... then fuel prices went ballistic.... >:(:( and we have what we have today...
That can limit the number of jumps a person can enjoy,,, for certain...

The fun factor, the people factor, the joy of sharing the skies with old pals,,, and also seeing new energy enter the DZ in the form of student and intermediate jumpers,,, helps to keep things fresh and fun.....B|;)

But then,,, there is the physical aspects... and sure MAybe SOME things get better with age... but sometimes age can wear us out, as well...
I move quite a bit slower than i used to, and 'cranking out the skydives' is simply not as easy as it once was...
i started @ age 19,,, when we sometimes would hit the ground pretty damn HARD... but I did Ok cause i was in decent shape... VERY happy to see the gear improvements over the years, and proper gear selection and wing loading limits,, WILL allow a person to extend their jumping hobby, into the later years...
Injuries can take it's toll on jumpers though.. Either injuries to themselves,, or injuries that they have witnessed.... sometimes as we age.. we get "less reckless" and what once would have been worth 'the risk' may no longer be...
could be that we have things that are TOO important to us, to chance being in a serious or unsafe situation...( family, work, employment status )
when i was single i'd get to the DZ at least 3 full weekends, each month, and was always ready to make a few,,, (though i did learn quickly, not to necessarily be on load 1 ALLL the time...)
when the kids came along, it took me 12 years to fill up a 150 jump log book... as it should be... i WAS having fun being a DAD and spending time with the kids, when they were young...but i DID make sure to stay current, and to attend a party or two , at the DZ each year...;)
As time went by, the kids began to have their own activities and play dates and so instead of sitting at home when THEY went out,, i headed back to where i am always happy,, the dropzone...

i'm into my late 50s' now and still an active jumper.. though i'll make 3 or 4, instead of 5 or 6 and things tend to "ache" a bit more after a day of jumping, than they used to..:P:(
so the pace changes, but Not the love for it...
If skydiving fits into your life, without neglecting anything ELSe or Any ONE else..
with the right gear, and a sensible attitude toward safety.. one CAN skydive well into the twilight years....
leaving the 'envelope pushing' for others....

jimmytavino
A 3914
D 12122

Hi jimmy,

costs are greater now, than they ever were..

I disagree. Let me tell you why. I worked for the federal gov't for more 30 yrs than & pay scales can be found on the internet.

About two years ago I did some checking. When I made my first jump in early '1964 a jump to 12,5 would cost $5.25 & today that same jump will cost ~$25.00. I do not remember the exact numbers that I found in the salary figures but the jumps today at ~$25.00 take less of a percentage bite out of the salary than they did back in '64.

Today the numbers are just so much bigger that it seems to cost more, but it really doesn't.

Just something to 'discuss' over a beer around the bonfire on Sat nites . . . .

JerryBaumchen

one CAN skydive well into the twilight years....
leaving the 'envelope pushing' for others....

And that pretty much nails it.

I started 35 years ago at the age of 18 and have 'actively' been a jumper through out that time...I remember having my "C" and being told once during a wind hold by my old instructor (D-288) that it's a marathon not a sprint and it's always better to 'hold-off' than 'heal-up'.

I've never incurred an injury while skydiving that prevented me from making the next load...a record I consciously try to keep intact.

From the outset this sport has been a passion...it's sometimes been a job and sometimes a hobby, but has always and WILL always be a part of my life.

I've piloted planes, golfed, bowled, skied, raced motorcycles...tried and enjoyed many other things but never been as 'passionate' about another endeavour.

Because for me anyway Skydiving has been a 'given' necessity all of my adult life, I've 'out of necessity' found ways to insure there was/is time and money to participate.

I remember about 25 years ago a friend doing a four way with three of his grand-children...I thought that was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen and put it in my 'things to do' list.

They say the best way to achieve something is to make a plan and follow it, thus I tend not to push the envelope and maintain my streak of 'painless parachuting' in hopes that maybe 20 years from now somebody will see me & the grand-kids land and think.....now THAT's pretty cool! B|;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I made many military jumps in the 70s. Then I raised kids for 20+ years. At age 46 I came back to the sky. I'm closing in on 2000 jumps and I'm an AFFI, TI, and I earned my AFFI at age 53. Age is but a number.the old saying goes. ... people don't quit skydiving because they get old; they get old because they quit skydiving.

Hell yeah!

I should be about 46-47 when I'll finally be able to get back in the air. I wish I didn't have to wait. :( I wanna go RIGHT NOW! But money is very scarce and I have to finish re-educating myself first.

Fortunately I already have over 500 jumps so once I'm back I can pursue the TI and AFFI ratings which hopefully will take the edge off the cost of jumping.