Manuel1

Skydiving and Beer

Okay. I am almost off student statis. I was told to buy beer when I am done with my student statis. I will hopefully be done with my A license in the spring. I was told to buy beer. I will be purchasing a rig in the summer. I was told to buy beer.

Am I even allowed to skydive if I dont drink beer?? I love the sport, but come on guys and gals, it isnt really that scarey of a sport that I need to drink that much. I wonder how many AA meetings are held at the DZ's. ;)

Am I even allowed to skydive if I dont drink beer??

No. Didn't you read the waiver?:D

But seriously, if you're a non-drinker you can choose to bring beer - or choose to bring something else. The beer rules are less about sticking a box in the beer fridge than about walking up to someone you don't know with a cold one after-hours and saying "Hi I'm [insert name here], I just [insert first here]." You could bring a cooler full of iced-down Gatorade and bottled water and pass 'em out during the jump day and meet just as many people. Or buy a bunch of pizzas after the day is done.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It was just posted in another thread but here are the generally accepted beer rules.
http://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm

Exactly. At first I thought it was just the guys and gals at the DZ I am jumping at. And then I read the "beer rules" on here and thought, HOLY CRAP, they all drink copious amount of beer. I was taught it is rude to buy a round and not drink what your buying. I guess I'll have to put my big boy pants on and have a beer then......:)

"I wonder how many AA meetings are held at the DZ's."
:o
Dammit! We're drunks not alcoholics!
Alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to bars.
;)
ya makes yer jumps, ya buys yer beer.
B|

That is funny.

Yeah. There was NEVER a second thought of not buying the beer. I would really hate to have someone remember me NOT buying a round when I am wobbling around at 12000 AGL.

You could bring a cooler full of iced-down Gatorade and bottled water and pass 'em out during the jump day and meet just as many people. Or buy a bunch of pizzas after the day is done.

Exactly! I used to bring a cooler of bottled water for every one during the 100+ days heat when I was in training....lol
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

Well im real new at this, I jump in the morning, I would feel real wierd about passing out beers at 8am in the morning. I think i do owe beers. I just finished aff, i also had another first, got to jump out of a skyvan. I think ill buy a few cases of water or Gatorade and try that. I jump at SkyDive az and its friggin hot there.

Well im real new at this, I jump in the morning, I would feel real wierd about passing out beers at 8am in the morning. I think i do owe beers. I just finished aff, i also had another first, got to jump out of a skyvan. I think ill buy a few cases of water or Gatorade and try that. I jump at SkyDive az and its friggin hot there.

It is also a commonly accepted practice to buy beers just before, during or quickly after the last load.

You will end up getting more tips, tricks and info after the last load than you likely will during the day. Instructors, riggers, packers and pilots are sometimes too busy during the day to show you a new way to do that exit, teach you how to bag that canopy, or explain the weight balances of an aircraft.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Im pretty sure that during the summer in az the last load is around noon, the afternoon heat effects the winds here, Thanks for the advise. I dont even drink but ill buy as many beers as they want. The instructors here really are great

A couple decades ago we had a two completely different students at the DZ. One was a student and would bring out bologna sandwiches for both lunch and supper. When we all went to the bar he would find a excuse about why he couldn't come. Although he did drink. It was all to save up for a extra jump. He bought about 1/3 of the cases of beer that most others bought but nobody ever said a word about it.

The other student had some sort of job and never seemed to have any money to buy beer. But he had a new car and always seemed to have a liberal supply of weed.

Well it was suggested to the second student that if he had money for weed, perhaps he might buy some beer. But nothing changed. Well low and behold there was a bad spot and he ended up walking back 5 miles on the last load of the day. A week later his T-10 accidentally deployed at about 4000' and he had to walk again.

Obviously times have changed.....

We had a guy come into Cross Keys about 2 weeks ago from the Ranch and he just brough two cases with him for his first jump at the DZ.

He jumped from about 10h00 to 15h00 and left. He never had a beer. But, he knew that he would get some attention walking across the packing mat with two cases.

We jumped several four-ways with the guy, even had a few coaches volunteer to jump with us. Great day of learning and hanging out. I think that's the key.

I wouldn't turn down a gatorade, but I would come shake your hand if you walked in with a case...
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

Fear not:

Participation in the program is volontary:

If you don't take beer from other people's beer cases, then you don't need to buy your own cases.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

So what happens if I complete AFF before I turn 21?

Send some one else to buy beer for the dropzone with your money.

Or make any other firsts for that matter? Do I accumulate beer buys and pay them off once I turn 21 or am I off the hook?

That would be bad karma. I once knew a woman who didn't buy beer. She broke both her wrists, started buying beer, and didn't have another injury.

I had it explained to me one time why there are beer rules. On top of the obvious, that we want to drink! You have done something for the first time and you want to celebrate with everyone. So you buy a round of drinks so that when you say what you did for the first time that everyone can raise a drink and toast with you. That helped me understand the tradition and not just think it was some rookie ploy to get others to buy beer for you.

>So you buy a round of drinks so that when you say what you did for the
>first time that everyone can raise a drink and toast with you.

I would add that the most important part of that is that the person buying beer TALKS about what just happened. First cutaway? There's a lot to learn there. First demo? Same thing. First 8-way? A really good time to ask about breakoff procedures. First solo spot? A good time to talk about exit separation.

What this means to the people getting beer - that beer isn't free. The price you pay is the ten minutes you spend talking to the person who gave it to you, listening to what happened on their first, giving them advice, telling them stories about what happened when you had that first.

So bug people all you like about buying the beer, but don't short change them when they do - give them a little of your time.

What this means to the people getting beer - that beer isn't free. The price you pay is the ten minutes you spend talking to the person who gave it to you, listening to what happened on their first, giving them advice, telling them stories about what happened when you had that first.

+1 big time.

I'll give a shout to the guys at Cross Keys for being all about chatting about gear, rigs, landing patterns.
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

>So you buy a round of drinks so that when you say what you did for the
>first time that everyone can raise a drink and toast with you.

I would add that the most important part of that is that the person buying beer TALKS about what just happened. First cutaway? There's a lot to learn there. First demo? Same thing. First 8-way? A really good time to ask about breakoff procedures. First solo spot? A good time to talk about exit separation.

So bug people all you like about buying the beer, but don't short change them when they do - give them a little of your time.

Damn, I love this sport. Lots of beer and now eight ways.....:o

I had it explained to me one time why there are beer rules. On top of the obvious, that we want to drink! You have done something for the first time and you want to celebrate with everyone. So you buy a round of drinks so that when you say what you did for the first time that everyone can raise a drink and toast with you. That helped me understand the tradition and not just think it was some rookie ploy to get others to buy beer for you.

Looking forward to my return to the sport and the 3 cases I figure I'll owe on that day.
1. First jump in Texas. B|
2. First jump at whatever dropzone I show up at. B|
3. First jump over age 40 which would qualify me for POPS. B|

Ok as i have mentioned... Im not a drinker. Whats the accepted beer to bring. Is it the normal Bud Light or one of the differnt beers, Sam adams, Heineken ect. This probably seems like a stupid question but im 46 and i bet i havent drank six beers yet. Ya Know i dont wanna be known for bringing shitty beer. Would you give your rigger Shitty beer????