Lok

Gravity Gear shop and other crapy shops?

I just wonder for improvement of this forum, if would be good idea for us to make a list with good and bad skydiving gear shops, based on our experience with their services.

The same happens in motorport racing forums, most of them have a list with good and bad experiences from members geting racing parts for various shops.

I experience recently a really bad service with Gravity Gear shop (based on San Diego-California).
I live in Greece and I just ask to buy a second hand Cypres and I mentioned that I could pay immediatelly via Western union money order or whataver pay method Gravity Gear shop prefer.

I got an answer 2 words we don't accept wester union.
Then I send a new email repeating that I am happy with any payment method (bank wire transfer etc) just advice....then I got last answer that all AADs sold......this happens yesterday and they are still Gravity gear shop Cypres units for sale in Dropzone classifieds!!!!!

That's what I call TOTTALY CRAP SERICE from a gear shop.

I am a parachutist for allmost 10 years living in a country with practically no skydiving gear shop......and in these 10 years I got excelent service from shops like:
Sunshine factory (Z-hills-Florida) for new and used gear.
Paragear for new gear.
Dave Dewolf (Pensylvania) for custom rigging supplies, not really a shop but the guy is God.
The kit store - UK (Rob Colpus) my second used rig.....excelent service.
Philip Curtis -Air supply - UK gear shop for Cypres services and others.

Now I have my first bad experience, first time I got replies in my email with 2 words like "We do not accept Western Union." or "All units have sold." or "fuck off"

GRAVITY GEAR SHOP (San Diego California) = rubbish

Sorry for your troubles, but by mentioning "I'd love to pay with Western Union!" you effectively told them, "I'm a dumbass scammer and I'm going to waste your time while trying to rip you off of a CYPRES!"

Presentation and translation.

For the future, try setting up a PayPal account, get a credit card or send an American buddy to buy it for you.

Better luck next time.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Gravity Gear is not a crappy shop, I bought my rig from them.

I called at odd hours, the email replies were always fast. She had those Cypres2's selling in the classifieds, there is a demand for them. First come first serve.

Dont offer to pay with a money order on the classifieds, most of the time somone writes that, its a scam.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Many thanks for your reply.

To clear things out I didn't say that I wrote I love to pay through western union, I just mentioned Western Union because this is the fastest and most secure way for someone to get his money.

The risk is for sender not the seller.

I don't know if you have use Western Union before.

The procedure is.

1)I go to the local Western union shop here in Greece.
2)I send $500 (cost of second hand cypres) to Gravity shop (rubbish shop) in san diego california to the name of owner (gravitygirl or any other jackass responsible).
3) Western union give me a code in 10 minutes time.
4) then i email this code to jackass from Gravity shop.
5) He/she then go to United States in his Western union local shop and get his/her money using this code and his ID or passport.
6) He/She then ship the AAD to me.

Is very simple, the quickest and the risk is for me not the seller.

I have use this method many times to get skydiving gear from United States with no problems.

And as I said I ask for alternative payment methods the seller would prefer.

Many thanks for your offer.
Happy to see you in Greece, but you'll have a hard time.
Only 2 clubs working on weekends, 35-40 euros the jumpticket up to 10500ft.

If you found a second hand AAD in the range of $500-700
with 4-5 years left or whatever just PM me.

Best regards
Stratos

Hi Lok,

IMO everyone has a bad experience with a company at some time. None of us are perfect.

1. She has every right to refuse the payment you offered.

2. She has every right to sell the AAD on a first-come / first-served basis. At that point, no money had changed hands between the two of you.

On a personal note: I have dealt with Bonnie & have found her to be one of the most ethical dealers I have known in the 45 yrs that I have been buying/selling gear.

I would suggest that you only continue to deal with those companies that you feel have treated you well in the past; time to move on, fella.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Over the years I have had jumper-customers that I would not sell a used shoe-lace to, they were that bad. I also, have had companies that I simply will no longer deal with due to 'bad experiences.'

PPS) Last year I bought some materials from a company in Germany. I sent them a check for the goods in US Dollars. By the time they paid all of the charges on their end, they only got 50% of what they should have received for the materials. They & I will need to develop some other method of payment for any purchases in the future.

See my reply to NovaTTT.

Then again:

1) There are still Cypres units for sale right now. I got a reply all sold yesterday morning!

2) I mentioned in all my emails I am happy with any method of payment, just advice.
I refer to Western Union because is the fastest way and THE MOST SECURE. I can't understand how could be a scam. The seller if he/she don't get his/her money he/she not sent anything.
But anyway (AGAIN) in all my emails i wrote:
I am happy with any method of payment, just advice

Hi Jerry,

I agree with your 1. even if i call this bad costumer service.

I dissagree with 2 because I got a reply yesterday morning all units sold, and even now there are units for sale in dropzone classifieds.

But anyway, many thanks for your advice.

Hi Jerry,

I agree with your 1. even if i call this bad costumer service.

I dissagree with 2 because I got a reply yesterday morning all units sold, and even now there are units for sale in dropzone classifieds.

But anyway, many thanks for your advice.

Just because the units are still up in the classifieds does not mean she still has any left. The classifieds are just a means of advertising the offer; they don't instantly sync up with the shop's inventory system. Used AADs sell quickly, and if she says she's out, I see no reason for her to lie.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

No, yesterday morning she told me that all AADs sold,

There were 6 up at that moment in classifieds.

Today there are 3 up, if she sold everything yesterday that would meen that today she should delete everything from classifieds.

No, yesterday morning she told me that all AADs sold,

There were 6 up at that moment in classifieds.

Today there are 3 up, if she sold everything yesterday that would meen that today she should delete everything from classifieds.

Since you don't know, it's probably better to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she isn't deliberately trying to screw you. Could be several reasons why all the postings aren't removed. Many of those posts stay up after they've sold.

I really do understand your frustration. I just doubt there's intent to deceive.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

are you actually a scammer trying a double bluff to convince us western union is a safe bet on the internet?

if you're upset Gravity won't accept it you need to restart your internet and try again from 1995.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

I just mentioned Western Union because this is the fastest and most secure way for someone to get his money.

Western Union isn't bad for a private seller but it's a pain in the ass for a small businessperson.

You have to understand the nature of most skydiving gear stores. They are not all the size of ParaGear or Square One. Many have no employees, or maybe one or two part time employees. When the shop is closed, the owner gets to do all those errands that they can't do when the store is open - things like going to the bank or the post office.

To collect money from Western Union, they have to drive someplace (often WalMart - a horrible place to have to go) - this costs money and time - and wait in line (one of the reasons WalMart is so horrible). This is a waste of gas, money and time, especially on a sale with little profit.

But if you pay with paypal or a credit card or a bank transfer, the entire transaction can be completed without the small businessperson having to leave the shop. Win for the seller because they don't have to do additional work for the same amount of profit, win for the buyer because the seller can immediately ship the item out.

I actually bought one of said Cypres's from them last Friday, they couldnt have been nicer and more convenient. Sent them an email saying I wanted to buy one, want to pay credit, gave them my cell, and 20 minutes later they called and shipped it out.

I second what the other guy said about saying youll pay immediately via Western Union...that SCREAMS scam...try dealing within your own country next time

ETA: I bought the Cypres from Gravity Gear...thanks Bonnie!!!

To clear things out I didn't say that I wrote I love to pay through western union, I just mentioned Western Union because this is the fastest and most secure way for someone to get his money.

The procedure is.

2)I send $500 (cost of second hand cypres) to Gravity shop (rubbish shop) in san diego california to the name of owner (gravitygirl or any other jackass responsible).
5) He/she then go to United States in his Western union local shop and get his/her money using this code and his ID or passport.

I have use this method many times to get skydiving gear from United States with no problems.

You sound like a Big Fat Greek Douche

In 10 years on this forum, I've never flamed anyone. This being said, you are obviously an Idiot!!!!

I've been dealing with Bonnie for over 10 years and she is wonderful!!! I'm sure she's had to make decisions that everyone hasn't liked, but that's just part of being a small business person.

I suspect that you're one of those people that would complain no matter how the transaction was handled.

I hate that Bonnie is being drug threw the mud, but thoses of us that have been around know that she's always worth a call.

Ryder
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I am not sure what the Greek "culture" is about Western Union (it might be a common business payment method there between some Europeans) but to most American business people, Western Union has a bad reputation as being frequently used by scammers. It is normal for a North American business to refuse Western Union, and is considered bad form to insist on this form of payment.

The procedure is.

You sound like a Big Fat Greek Douche

I couldnt agree more.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I can think of a bunch of other things that a business can do to piss-off a potential customer.
Selling a bunch of used AADs before a potential customer can arrange payment for AADs in stock is not one of them.

Bonnie of Gravity Gear is a stand-up person and jumper that I have known for +15 years.

I don't know if you know this, but Western Union in the US, as a method of payment, is not encouraged.
There are too many scams associated with it to make it a viable option.
If someone from overseas or anywhere for that matter asked me to go down to a Western Union place to collect payment, I'd tell them to use Paypal.

Kudos to Bonnie for selling all her used AADs so quickly.
If that brings the angst of someone wanting to pay via a method that is not accepted, well then, those are the 'better' type of business problems.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I've never bought anything from Gravity Gear, but from all the strong testimonials, she sure does sound like an ethical businesswoman.

She is. Any new gear I want to get I'll get from her, or Mike G at Chutingstar.

Both of them have proven time and time again that they will go the extra mile.

Used AAD's (especially Cypres2s) go like hotcakes. I knew she had them, but she hadnt posted them till just a few days ago, and they were gone fast.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>I just wonder for improvement of this forum, if would be good idea for us
>to make a list with good and bad skydiving gear shops, based on our
>experience with their services.

In that case Gravity Gear would definitely go in the "good" category.

>I live in Greece and I just ask to buy a second hand Cypres and I
>mentioned that I could pay immediatelly via Western union money order

You may not be aware of this, but offering to pay via Western Union is a huge red flag that you're a scammer. I pretty much ignore anyone in a foreign country who offers to pay that way; you are pretty much guaranteed to lose your money. (Not saying you _are_ a scammer by any means, but that's what scammers use since it's hard to trace the money.)

Sorry to hear you didn't get the Cypres.