Andy_Copland

How Safe Is AFF?

Hello

I've just got myself involved in AFF and will be heading to Spain soon, I've always wanted to jump and thought about a tandem but in the end i thought bugger it im going to get really involved.

I know its a vague question but just how safe is AFF? Are the safety rules the same all over Europe or more relaxed in other places? Also i've noticed that a lot of accidents are caused in the landing which i'll obviously have to complete via radio instruction.

Not that im bottling it or anything ;) *wipes sweat away*

Andy Copland

I'm not going to tell you about AFF safety. I will tell you that, I just finished it and was very confortable with its progression and safety precautions.
I would however, suggest that you do do a tandem. If you're on a tandem you can trully enjoy the fun and excitement of a first jump without being overly concerned if you're doing things correctly or how you're going to handle being under the canopy and landing. In my opinion, leaving the flying to the professional is just going to make that jump so much better.
Bear in mind that I went through AFP, which requires 3 tandems (learn to arch, turn, stop, forward movement and some canopy control), and then moves on to 1 JM. The tandems allowed me to be much more at ease with the idea of jumping out of the plane by myself.

N.B. I'm too new to know anything. This is just my opinion, based entirely on my experience.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

When you say Spain I imagine your going to Empuria, Working on that assumption
You'll do a tandem first followed by a minimun of seven jumps,
I'm shure your not going into this blindly so I wont explain all the levels

Empuria has a more than a exellent AFF saftey record, with patient and proffesional instructors
When under canopy you will be talked down by radio. All kit is perfectly maintained by Colin
one of Europes best riggers (in my opinion Colin and Rolf are the best in Europe)

One word of advice, dont drink to much at night as you'll need a clear head in the morning.

Their are other things you'll find out as you go along, like holding the postion for 60 seconds
on a creeper is a modern day form of torture.

The accidents under canopy ( landing) are normally caused by people trying to go too far too fast

You'll do fine, have fun, above all HAVE FUN.

Zep

Gone fishing

Thank you both for your info. Im not sure where you mean in Spain, i have been in contact with a bloke called Chris

http://www.fallfromthesky.com/1188/index.html

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Thank you both for your info. Im not sure where you mean in Spain, i have been in contact with a bloke called Chris

From what I saw on a pic in a/m site, it seems to be Empuriabrava, where your AFF will take place. That's absolutely great B| I made AFF there and always felt in good hands and well cared by instructors. They start with a tandem, which is a perfect idea to give you a first impression on what you are looking for.

Like Zep said: Professional staff. Professional ruled DZ with good reputation. Instructors were patient enough to teach even a fool like me how to fall in good condition and to enjoy it :)
Do not hesitate and have fun. The service is worth the price which, additonally includes video of every AFF level.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I know its a vague question but just how safe is AFF?

Jumping out of planes in not safe. You make a serious mistake - you die. Some did everything right and they still died. As a student, you will be closely supervised by professionals but even they cannot completely guarantee your safety. Don't let anybody fool you that skydiving is a safe fun ride and you will live longer;)

I think its just the build up, i know bungee isn't the same but i was 14 and had a blast. I think its time to stop dwelling on it and just let it happen

I'll soon have a number by my name next to jumps ;)

I looked at this guys website an something isnt right. His publicity photos are of EmpuriaBrava Northern Spain an his
operation is at Lillo Madrid Central Spain, Maybe it's just an error on his part.
If I was going to do AFF I'd certainly want to know where I was going to do it.

Gone fishing

I think its time to stop dwelling on it and just let it happen

I'll soon have a number by my name next to jumps ;)

I look forward to seeing those numbers next to your name, too. I love to see new people come to the sport. Having said that.....I hope you're not just dismissing Amax's message; it's a very important one which is a good response to the question you asked. Your response to his post leaves me a bit uneasy...by all means, Welcome! -- but go into this with your eyes, ears and attitude OPEN -- or it can bite you hard.

The accidents under canopy ( landing) are normally caused by people trying to go too far too fast

my DZ had two bad (surgery required) AFF landing accidents over this weekend. At least one was an AFF1. Though the large student canopies make it hard to kill yourself, certainly you can hurt yourself badly.

I am not an instructor and I haven't that much experience yet... but... I did the AFF course as well and I found it the safest way to learn how to skydive as there are 2 instructors (and later 1 instructor) that jump together with you. If you forget to pull, they will do it for you. I haven't jumped in Empuria yet and when I was there last year, I was in my AFF course in Belgium and as I payed everything in advance I wasn't willing to finnish the course overthere. however, I spoke with some instructors from the dz and the levels a student has to run through look the same as in France and in Belgium, so I guess there are some international standards... but I am not sure of course.

You are not a licensed skydiver after 7 jumps, but after 7 levels at least... let's put it that way: if you perform bad in a level, you may have to redo it for you own safety and you may end with more than 7 jumps for the seven levels.

I think AFF is the safest way to learn how to jump as there are instructors with you during the freefall and with hand movements they can communicate with you during your freefall and so enabling you to perform better. If you are not stable or you forget to pull, they wil and will talk you down under the parachute. Afterwards, you will be evaluated so that you can learn from your mistakes.

Good luck and enjoy end maybe we will meet in Empuria ;) (I will be going there this summer :) )
-------------------------------------------------

No dive, like skydive... wanna bet on it?

I want to get in the air as soon as possible (i dont have a passport yet) so i am going to do the AFF here in England, i jump on the weekend if the weather lets me :) Its expensive but i really want to get started stright away.

The website is www.ukparachuting.co.uk

The safety of AFF depends on a large extent to WHO you train with and WHERE. Before you jump I seriously recommend to you that you read three books, Chris Donaldson, Tom Buchanan and Dan Poynter. The safety aspect is very well detailed in the Buchanan book.

I would also recommend that you look at www.letsgoskydive.com

At the end of the day, being safe depends on you. You decide whether to jump or not. I totally agree with the person who says do more tandems before AFF. 3 tandems are a good idea. If you can afford it you can even do 5. That will give you an enormous amount of self confidence, skydiving awareness and adaptation to your new medium, i.e. being airborne...FLYING!

I'm currently in AFF right now and I feel incredibly safe everytime I go up. My JM's are very cautious in making sure everything is clear and that I know Dive Flow very well. Don't be nervous, as other people here have told me, just relax, trust your JM's and yourself and go have fun....

A tandem might not be a bad idea too, that way you can enjoy it....just as everyone else said

Just one word of advice. On your AFF 1 - Remember to FLARE....i cannot stress that enough....I forgot and fortunately PLF'd the right way so I didnt get hurt. Trust me, flaring will make your landing SO much softer...:P
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

AFF is no more or less dangerous than any other method.

Just as all can teach you, they all can kill you.

Anyone who says one is "safer" than another is most likely trying to sell ya something.

AFF saftey is SO dependant on who the Instructors are. If they are capable well trained, then its safer than some bloke who just got his ticket...Or worse just forged his ticket.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've listened to parts of AFF FJCs all over the world some hysterical, some serious, some works of art. But, all good and in every operation there's always someone who knows what they are doing.

In general the safest days are your student days. Everybody is paying attention to you. You're more apt to hurt yourself later in your jumping career when you can't remember yourself when a jumpmaster let you cling to his arm, even after he told you not to, the first time you tried to spot . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

<------Look i have 3 jumps! Cheers everyone who replied to my post, im so glad i done it. 1st jump was a blur and according to my instructor i fell asleep at 6000 feet (i looked down and saw how big the ground was getting :S). Flared at about 15 feet i thought it was a rough landing. My next jump was a lot better, flared really nice but i was in the wrong field lol. But my third jump was text book, i couldnt believe how well it went. i was dead proud of myself and i felt i'd really done my instructor proud aswell, he couldnt stop grinning either

*If you are not happy with your AFF jump, run and get your instructors a cup of tea, or as i like to call it "a cup of instant success"*
:D:D:D:D:D

Really glad to hear about your AFF first 3 jumps. Who were your instructors, where did you do it, etc. Are you going on to finish AFF? It would also be interesting to know what rig you are using and whether you are using ripcord sprung pilot chute or BOC throwaway. Above all congratulations and keep on it.

Really glad to hear about your AFF first 3 jumps. Who were your instructors, where did you do it, etc. Are you going on to finish AFF? It would also be interesting to know what rig you are using and whether you are using ripcord sprung pilot chute or BOC throwaway. Above all congratulations and keep on it.

Im doing it at the North London Parachute Center and my first level was done with Gary Small, i felt really confident with the training he gave me. All my others have been with a real nice bloke called Mike who taken me up to level 6 now.

Also i was trained with a ripcord sprung pilot chute and had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the weather, then on the day of the jump they told me they had changed to throw away's [:/] which made me a bit nervous.

At level 4 i was supposed to do a couple of 90 degree turns but ended up doing a 180 on my first try before Mike came in and got me steady again. Then i took it easy and managed a few 90's.

That made me worry about level fives 360 turns but i nailed them. I stopped at 6000 because i was to lock on at 5500 and throw at 5000. Mike saw my grin and gave me my 3rd turn signal which i done before passing lock on altitude :D. Im having the best time of my life right now B|