cebaf

Buying Used Equipment from Canada

Can someone please lay out some simple steps on purchasing used equipment with out getting screwed and how to get it into Canada with paying duty. I am looking at purchasing my first rig and really don't want to be had and also don't want to be killed at the border.

Any help would be great, thanks.

also don't want to be killed at the border.

Oh, we don't do that at your border; just the other one. ;)

It isn't the "we" that is going to be the problem. It's the "they".

When crossing the border, they (Canadian Customs)will ask "Did you purchase anything in the US?".

If the answer is "Yes, I bought this rig for $3000", then there will be some hassle, paperwork and import duties involved. I don't know specifics, anything I take into Canada is taken care of by brokers. But having all that stuff in order before arriving at the border is a really good idea.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Can someone please lay out some simple steps on purchasing used equipment with out getting screwed and how to get it into Canada with paying duty. I am looking at purchasing my first rig and really don't want to be had and also don't want to be killed at the border.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Whatever you do...DONT FEX EX, just regular mail. Fex Ex and similar charges you alot to bring it across the border. B|
SKYDIVING = HAPPY

Hi cebaf,

Can someone please lay out some simple steps on purchasing used equipment with out getting screwed and how to get it into Canada with paying duty.

I have only done it with new gear.

It was back in 1967 and three of us ( two Canadians & myself ) decided we wanted to go up to Abbotsford for some jumping mid-week. Ralph Hatley owned a Cessna 170 that was not a jump ship; just an ordinary airplane. One of the Canadians had a Commercial Pilot rating so off we went. Hatley had sold a bunch of new gear to a to-remain-unnamed DZO in Canada that we loaded up.

We stopped just short of the border & made a call to the DZO; one of those 'Is the coast clear?' calls.

We then flew over the border, came across the dz at about 100 ft reving & reving the engine. The DZO came out and as we came around again, at about 50 ft, the pilot put the Cessna into a hard right-hand slip, the guy in the right-front seat jammed the door open and I, in the back seat, started shoving boxes out the door. We scattered gear the full length of the dz. B|

We then flew on over to the airport in Abbotsford, cleared customs ( "No, we don't have anything to declare." ), and then flew over to the dz.

Worked perfectly.

There you go,

JerryBaumchen

There's no duty importing US-made skydiving stuff into Canada.

But there are taxes on the purchase. And if sent by courier one can get caught up with unexpected brokerage fees if one doesn't plan ahead. Most skydiving equipment bought from the US is made there. I'm not sure whether there would be duties on anything made elsewhere (e.g., something from Parasport Italia, or PD goods manufactured in Honduras), but I never heard it discussed.

What the value of an imported package is, can be hard to tell, and to customs it depends on what is stated on the customs declaration on the package. Of course, a low value looks more reasonable if it is used gear, not brand new gear in plastic bags with manuals and possibly with an invoice in the box. What the shipper writes on the box, depends. A private individual selling gear might be more flexible than an established company in that regard. Sometimes a package might be labelled stating that the contents are being returned to the owner after inspection & repair, which probably didn't cost that much.

Canadians often go on skydiving vacations to the States, or may do a shopping trip to a border town (and stop off to pick something send to them at a UPS store or similar). When the car is full of sports equipment, it can be hard to tell if there is more coming back than going out.

Disclaimer: Not advocating anything. Just sayin'...

PS - Confusing title to the thread. Makes it seem like the gear is going Canada to the US.