swoopfly

slyride

How do you beat your competitors?? well its easy if you are your own competitor!! i was looking up places to jump around my area, funny how many different companies numbers go to the same people. i called these different places and ended up on the phone with the same guy, Even though its Skydive Macon , their isnt a skydive macon and he wants to send me to this one place in cedartown.....interesting.

So is this a scam or a marketing genius??? Why just advertise for your dropzone when you could make up a Skydive for this area then when you call we will send you 2 hours to here instead!!

www.skydivingmacon.com

www.soaringsports.net

www.1800skyride.com

www.skydiving.thrillplanet.com

I've only been around the forums for a few months, but I've seen this same thread/posts about it every week or so it seems. Hasn't it been discussed enough?

It's been a topic on here for I would say about the last 8 years or so. I'm sure it will still be discussed for years to come as long as Skyride is still doing business as they want, ethics and fair practices be damned. :|

There are two huge threads with hundreds or thousands of posts that were subsequently locked because of online bickering between critics and supporters, but you can still look through them. Just search for: What Can We Do About Skyride? and What Can We Do About Skyride? II
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've only been around the forums for a few months, but I've seen this same thread/posts about it every week or so it seems. Hasn't it been discussed enough?

It's been a topic on here for I would say about the last 8 years or so. I'm sure it will still be discussed for years to come as long as Skyride is still doing business as they want, ethics and fair practices be damned. :|

There are two huge threads with hundreds or thousands of posts that were subsequently locked because of online bickering between critics and supporters, but you can still look through them. Just search for: What Can We Do About Skyride? and What Can We Do About Skyride? II

Those are the 2 biggest, but there are a whole bunch of others, too. Some are locked, some aren't.

Nashville area signs, City of Nashville (the one about the stickers) Skydive Arizona vs Quatorcci are the first that come to mind, but there are a lot of them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sure there is, but if the info, especially new info that comes out does not get posted, the threads and the subject falls way down the list and the whuffos who stumble across DZ.com and don't get the info that they need to be able to make an educated decision on where and where not to spend their money.

I tend to believe that if the most recent new guys who posted and talked about their jumps at Cedartown had only done their homework and actually opened their eyes a bit and checked out the info that is available online as well as here on DZ.com, they would not have gone to sLyride, but rather gone over to the Farm.
Who knows, they may have intended to go to the Farm in the first place, but sLyride successfully intercepted them.
Either way, it's a skydiving tragedy that those guys spent their money with sLyride and didn't go to the Farm.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I always think it's sad.. when the defenders show up with the " we have great equipment... we have cool planes.... yada yada yada"

The people who own both the DZ and the "booking agency" are crooks.

I remember my parents telling me at a VERY young age that you are known by the company you keep.

I think if some people are going to make excuses and gonna wallow with the likes of the owners.... that the defenders should be learning to squeel real purty

Sure there is, but if the info, especially new info that comes out does not get posted, the threads and the subject falls way down the list and the whuffos who stumble across DZ.com and don't get the info that they need to be able to make an educated decision on where and where not to spend their money.

I tend to believe that if the most recent new guys who posted and talked about their jumps at Cedartown had only done their homework and actually opened their eyes a bit and checked out the info that is available online as well as here on DZ.com, they would not have gone to sLyride, but rather gone over to the Farm.
Who knows, they may have intended to go to the Farm in the first place, but sLyride successfully intercepted them.
Either way, it's a skydiving tragedy that those guys spent their money with sLyride and didn't go to the Farm.

I understand what you're saying, but there is a time. I'm just considering the thread from the AFF student who just jumped at ASC, and a few people posted re: skyride. It wasn't necessary there. Had he been posting about poor service/being cheated then by all means fill him in. But he was just excited about the jump.

Just my thoughts. And keep in mind, every jump I've ever made has been at the Farm. Never even been to ASC.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Well, as I have stated before... I went to ASC because they offered me a much better deal on ground school and my AFF level 1 jump than any other DZ around here. I knew nothing about Skyride until maybe a month ago to be honest. When I started, I looked up places to jump on DZ.com. I then visited their websites, found the best deal, and took advantage of it. All throughout my training, the instructors were always there to help me out when I had a question. I've only had one problem... and that's when I manifested for a load only to be forgotten about and they put a tandem in my slot. Oh well, shit happens. I'll let that one slide because the girls at manifest are cute.

I went to Panama City Beach last week for a vacation... while I was there, I thought about doing some jumping. Surely enough, there is a Skydive Panama City website. Funny how their site has no info for experienced jumpers. The DZ doesn't exist. I almost went to Emerald Coast... but i ran out of money :(

Now that I'm licensed, I do plan on jumping other places. My first stop is, of course, the Farm. It looks like a fun place and the field is much larger than what I'm used to. I figure it'd be a joke to land at STF given the stamp-sized field I always land in ;)
Don't forget to pull!

Well, it appears that since you did not have the money to do the jump, you did yourself a favor by not getting scammed by the Skydive Panama City website. That alone should tell you that we are telling you the truth.

As for the instructors, Through all the info that I put out and all the hell I raise about sLyride, I have NEVER said anything about the quality of their training and their instructors. That's not my focus.

I DO however, slam them for their affiliation with sLyride. I have no doubt that there's some really good jumpers and instructors that work for the sLyride DZ's, but the fact that they work for sLyride and that they know what sLyride does and they willingly look the other way, that overshadows any good that they do for the sport.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Well, it appears that since you did not have the money to do the jump, you did yourself a favor by not getting scammed by the Skydive Panama City website. That alone should tell you that we are telling you the truth.

Oh yea, I know that ya'll are telling the truth. I can go to Google Earth, type "skydive atlanta," and see there are appear to be 10 or more dropzones around here. I know full well there are only 4 around where I live.

I wouldn't have been scammed by "Skydive Panama" anyway. All I cared about was an address. Then I was just going to show up, rent gear, and jump. Of course, a whuffo can't do that. They'd call them up, pay for a tandem, and then get screwed in the end.

I say I ran out of money only because it wouldn't have been worth my time and effort to drive 2 more hours for just one jump. Heh. I already had enough fun at the beach and I had a 5 hour drive ahead of me :)

As for the instructors, Through all the info that I put out and all the hell I raise about sLyride, I have NEVER said anything about the quality of their training and their instructors. That's not my focus.

I DO however, slam them for their affiliation with sLyride. I have no doubt that there's some really good jumpers and instructors that work for the sLyride DZ's, but the fact that they work for sLyride and that they know what sLyride does and they willingly look the other way, that overshadows any good that they do for the sport.

Well, yes... I have to admit that my instructors are affiliated with skyride. Skyride should be stopped. I'd hate to think that some guy or gal that wants to get into skydiving might end up getting screwed by making reservations with this company.. and then never go back again. However, I don't see a compelling reason for me to stop going there. I've never been screwed and I'm not contributing to them screwing over other customers. Or... maybe I am... but only as much as driving my truck to a DZ contributes to regional pollution. I could stop going there, along every other experienced jumper, and that place would just turn into a tandem farm. The instructors could walk out... but, some new (and perhaps less experienced) instructors would fill those slots. Nothing is solved. It's the business, it's model, and their owners should be slammed... not the people that choose to jump there or instruct there.

I have a question though... isn't ASC changing names or ownership? They are starting to go by Skydive Georgia...
Don't forget to pull!

I went to ASC because they offered me a much better deal on ground school and my AFF level 1 jump than any other DZ around here.

Other DZs could afford to lower their prices if their owners profited by lying, cheating, and stealing too.

Dave

Well, I don't know what incentive it would have been for them to offer a great deal. If skyride is strictly about screwing people over (as I'm sure they are), I don't see why they felt the desire to offer me a deal. They would have been better off trying to hook me into some tandem jump at an outrageous cost.
Don't forget to pull!

Well, yes... I have to admit that my instructors are affiliated with skyride. Skyride should be stopped. I'd hate to think that some guy or gal that wants to get into skydiving might end up getting screwed by making reservations with this company.. and then never go back again.

Many never make it to a DZ, therefore giving skydiving as a whole a bad name.

However, I don't see a compelling reason for me to stop going there. I've never been screwed and I'm not contributing to them screwing over other customers.

Maybe you should step back for a second and read this thread again, especially your post that I am responding to.

Or... maybe I am...

Yes, you are!

but only as much as driving my truck to a DZ contributes to regional pollution. I could stop going there, along every other experienced jumper, and that place would just turn into a tandem farm. The instructors could walk out... but, some new (and perhaps less experienced) instructors would fill those slots. Nothing is solved. It's the business, it's model, and their owners should be slammed... not the people that choose to jump there or instruct there.

I disagree! Ignorance only goes soo far. If you get pulled over for speeding, does the cop give you a break if you tell him you didn't know what the speed limit was? Most of the time, no! (At least not the cops here in Indiana) Granted, the new jumper may not know, but sooner or later, they find info, then more and more, or they see a news story on TV about the scam, at that point they are informed and if they continue to jump there, that constitutes the looking the other way as described earlier in this thread.

I have a question though... isn't ASC changing names or ownership? They are starting to go by Skydive Georgia...

Skyride uses thousands of names, Skydive Georgia is one one of, how many thousand? They have everything from Skydive Ga to Skydive Texas and Skydive Alaska. The change of ownership has been a routine rumor for years. That's just to make people think Cary is getting out, but in reality, how can he do that? He makes too much money.
The answer to that question is no, that's another part of the scam, they create confusion about who they are so the other website names give the appearance of looking like another DZ all together.
Our guys down south may be putting up one hell of a fight and even making progress, but the income on the national level is greater than the loss in the Tennessee and Alabama markets. We need more DZO's to create more scam alerts for their regions if we want to win the battle. The only way Skyride is going to go away is if they can't make money from their bullshit websites.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!