egloskerry

Recurrency jump

As per the SIM

A License
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within 60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups

Expect at a minimum of that, but its up to the DZ. They may put you in the harness to practice your EP's and have an instructor jump with you.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As already quoted from S.I.M. section 5-2:

A License
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within 60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups

I just wanted to point out that the above bold print includes a USPA Coach, who will normally work very cheap. Now S.I.M. section 5-2-A states:

Students who have not jumped within the preceding 30 days should make at least one jump under the direct supervision of an appropriately rated USPA Instructror.

So even though you only have your accuracy jumps left, you will need to jump with an Instructor when you get back. Depending on the DZ, this may be a full priced AFF jump, or somehthing a bit cheaper.

Good Luck and get back in the air as soon as you can.

I know you are required to make a recurrency jump after not having jumped a while if you have your A, but what about if you're still a student? I only have my accuracy jumps left, but won't be able to jump for at least another 3 months.

I'm thinking you asked that question here becasue you don't have one of these....

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Man_SIM_2009-2010.pdf

It's free and loaded with everything you need to know - without the opinions, flames, and smart ass remarks thrown in.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I know you are required to make a recurrency jump after not having jumped a while if you have your A, but what about if you're still a student? I only have my accuracy jumps left, but won't be able to jump for at least another 3 months

The real answer to this is, "Whatever the DZ you want to jump at thinks is the safe way to proceed considering your total number of jumps, your performance on those jumps, time of the layoff, and their personal experience with you in the past".

You can count on the SIM to give you the bare minimum that a DZ is required to do, what they actually want to do beyond that is up to the discretion of each individual DZ.

I have seen this question come up several times recently, and I'm always surprised at how concerned some jumpers are with this area. How about trusting in the staff ay your chosen DZ to make the safe, prudent call, and just leaving it up to them to deciede what your best course of action would be? It seems they were smart enough to instruct you thus far, so have some confidence in their ability to finish the job.

You can count on the SIM to give you the bare minimum that a DZ is required to do, what they actually want to do beyond that is up to the discretion of each individual DZ.

The portion of the SIM that spells out recurrency training is not a requirement, as in it is not part of the BSR's. It is just recommendations. Dropzones would be wise to follow them to some extent but there may times when it is better left to the DZ's discretion.

The portion of the SIM that spells out recurrency training is not a requirement, as in it is not part of the BSR's. It is just recommendations. Dropzones would be wise to follow them to some extent but there may times when it is better left to the DZ's discretion.

I read a fatality report about a licensed skydiver that was inactive for years coming back into the sport and he did not do a recurrency jump. He jumped solo and ended up killing himself on his first jump via "no-pull." Witnesses said the guy was very nervous before the jump, too. I have no idea if it was suicide or brain-lock... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was brain-lock.

Point being: I think recurrency should be taken seriously at all DZs.
Don't forget to pull!

I have nearly 1000 AFF-I jumps and one of my hardest jumps yet as an Instructor was an A license recurrency jump that was passed off by one of our coaches because she did not feel good about it. If the coach had accepted this jump it is very likely the guy would not have made it.

I could not agree more that recurrency jumps should be taken seriously

I read a fatality report about a licensed skydiver that was inactive for years coming back into the sport and he did not do a recurrency jump. He jumped solo and ended up killing himself on his first jump via "no-pull." Witnesses said the guy was very nervous before the jump, too. I have no idea if it was suicide or brain-lock... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was brain-lock.

No where did I say recurrency should not be taken seriously.

I would like to read that report if you have a link to it. It should be in the fatality database.

No where did I say recurrency should not be taken seriously.

I would like to read that report if you have a link to it. It should be in the fatality database.

Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you on anything. The thing that kinda erked me some was the part where you said it's sometimes better left to the DZs discretion. Granted, I'm not completely sure what you meant.

As you requested, http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Safety/AccidentReports/tabid/81/ctl/Detail/mid/785/Default.aspx?xmdata=Flo%2fmqBsTQcT3mC56MowUGij5ZSdCKDbkwVUg7JxepSdALF6sOJPVSA15VbCMDBplNVFhtZKXrg%3d. I was wrong about the "years" part... more like 12 months.
Don't forget to pull!

Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you on anything. The thing that kinda erked me some was the part where you said it's sometimes better left to the DZs discretion. Granted, I'm not completely sure what you meant.

I will give you an example from a real experience. I had a jumper come to the DZ that had not jumped in almost 3 months. She only had an A license but had over 800 jumps in just under 4 years. No need to treat her as a typical A license jumper that has very few jumps. The only reason this was brought to anyone's attention is because the folks in the office (non skydivers) only saw her A license and time between jumps and they assumed she needed a refresher similar to a typical A license jumper with only a handful of jumps.

Sometimes just looking at what license a person has does not tell the whole story. There is no requirement to get a higher license once you meet the criteria. This what I meant when I said it should be left to the DZ's discretion. This is possibly why the recurrency part of the SIM is a recommendation, not a requirement (BSR).