cadive

arms went numb

Hey,

Last weekend I did my first jump with an instructor. Everything was great up to the point until we were circling around under the canopy at about 3000 feet. At that point my arms went completely numb and i started to get very light headed/seeing stars. The free fall was great and i felt completely normal during that time. it kind of scared me but i really want to jump again.

I have read that it may have been due to my harness not being strapped down correctly. I am not sure if this is it because it felt pretty snug. I was waring cargo shorts so i may have been able to get the loops a tad higher. In the plane the instructor was going though all the straps and seemed to get everything pretty things tight.

anyone else have this? I was pretty disappointed this happened, if i was alone i doubt i could have landed correctly.

Yes it happened on one of my first jumps, it was a tandem. The harness was to tight especially where it comes over your shoulders in the front. This is more then likely the same that happened to you, The bright side is this will not happen in your own rig, they are more comfortable

it's highly possible that the cause of your symptoms was the fit of your tandem harness It may not have been that you harness was not too loose but to tight. If the harness is too tight it is possible that your blood flow was being shunted away from your brain causing you to feel the way you did. i I'm sorry to hear that your first experience was not what you hoped for but don't get discouraged.

Chuck Bryan

Didn't I just see something like this in the last parachutist or so? About the harness being too tight on the shoulders, cutting off circulation, causing this (and vomiting).

Lol, never seen anyone throw up, but we got this amazonian instructor at my DZ doing tandems.

Vomit splatting your face and running up into your hair at 120mph... man, I want to vomit just thinking about that

never really had a history motion sickness. i do enjoy roller coasters.

on the way out of the plane we did a few flips and then some spins about half way through during the freefall. i had no idea that it was possible to spin so fast. Maybe thats it? i'm not sure. i do plan on going on another tandem jump hopefully soon. for some reason i still feel it was the shoulder straps they were pretty darn tight.

This is a great forum. Thanks so much for the responses.