iwasinkheson68

C182 turnaround times

Hey guys,
I've not jumped a cessna from anything higher than about 5k and even then, not for a while. I was just wondering roughly how long the turnaround time would be on a 182 narrowbody with four people on board to 10k? Does it climb significantly slower as you reach 6k or maybe 8k?
I'm assuming a standard/most commonly fitted engine and taking off from sea level in 30 degrees C.
Thanks,
Mike

Haven't really flown 182's in jump operations, so no numbers from experience. But it depends on dz elevation and temperature of the day. And yes, any normally aspirated piston engine (ie, your 182) is going to lose power as it climbs. Yes, 6-8k is where it really starts to become noticeable.

I'm going to guess 25-30 minute loads. Just a guess, though.

30C is about 85F. That's pretty hot.

With a "normal" 182 you are going to lose a lot of performance at those temps. With 4 bodies on board it will not climb very fast. You might not see 300ft/min above about 7K

30 min to altitude is an optimistic guess, I've seen it take longer. Then add in descent time, plus taxi and loading times.

45 min to an hour for a complete turn is a good ballpark figure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It will depend on the engine too as well as the weather. We're doing .5-.6's right now, but we have one plane with a bigger engine we've done .3's and .4's in on a regular basis when its a bit cooler.

(that's .4 of an hour etc)

.3-.4? Not bad! I saw that in a Caravan with the -114A (725 ESHP) to 13k on a warm day with 10-12 jumpers on board - and that's time above 40 kias!

My times are 33 to 35 minutes take off to landing, field elevation 300 DA 2000 temp 90F to 11,000 msl.

Yep...ours takes about 35min from take off to landing going to 10k'. We are at sea level with temps from high 80s to mid 90s
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I've made many a jump from the Cessna 182 at Skydive Temple in Salado, Texas.... 25 - 30 min ride to 10K... kind of a novelty at first... now I am a turbine whore... 13.5K feet from the Otter at Skydive San Marcos in only 12 minutes is much more enjoyable.... What I don't understand is why it costs a dollar more to jump from the cessna than the otter... :D

This past weekend we were burning and turning!! 30 mins to 10500 at 104 degrees!!!

Ahhh got to love Texas Jumping in the summer!!!

And those no wind landings are a thrill...lol
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

A nice safe number is to figure 10 gal/load based on 36 min loads. This will vary a lot depending on conditions and how full the airplane really is.

I used to own a Cherokee 6-300 but have never seen it used for jumping so I can't really address that part. It typically burned 18~ per hour but that will vary with Jumpers. Remember most of your time is spent in climb not cruise.

It there an STC for a jump door on the Cherokee 6?
Ryder

Chris that's very cool about the Cherokee 6. The C6 is a very stable platform with a lot of power.

I'm only guessing, but if you strip the seats, replace that heavy back door with a plexiglass jump door, and do some fuel management you could probably get 6-7 jumpers in there.

Chris was there a problem with the tail?
Thanks
Ryder