swoopfly

Things you dont like about skydiving?

I hate it when these intense jumpers are mad after coming down from a jump, because someone "didn't get in" or their swoop was not good enough. fuck that shit. this is not football. nobody "loses". I am here to have fun, not a perfect fucking stupid diamond out of wingsuits.

I made that mistake ONCE. I vowed never to get upset about a dive gone wrong ever again.

AND I hate that everything awesome (IE wingsuiting) and stuff that looks pretty cool (IE freeflyiing) has to be turned into RW. there was a post in the wingsuit birdie people place about "acceptable formation distortion" or something super lame like that.
----REALLY?
you are flying three miles above the ground going 120mph with clouds and friends in bad ass wingsuits and you care about THE crooked SHAPE YOU MAKE?
go line dancing or something.

ROTFLMAO!!! Amen. Ain't it the truth.

so, yes, to recap. what do I dislike about skydiving?

Skydivers.

Well, only some skydivers. Because people who are fun to hang out with are always fun to hang out with no matter what they're doing.

It is funny because it is true. Being retired from the sport for about ten years I had to laugh when I saw VRW and flocking. I knew they would do that to both but it was still funny and sad to see happen. Screw up the performance of a wingsuit to get a little mutual appreciation, seems a crime against efficient flight. We don't fly gliders around opening the dive brakes so we can look into the dreamy eyes of other pilots...

I hate it when these intense jumpers are mad after coming down from a jump, because someone "didn't get in" or their swoop was not good enough. fuck that shit. this is not football. nobody "loses". I am here to have fun, not a perfect fucking stupid diamond out of wingsuits.

AND I hate that everything awesome (IE wingsuiting) and stuff that looks pretty cool (IE freeflyiing) has to be turned into RW. there was a post in the wingsuit birdie people place about "acceptable formation distortion" or something super lame like that.
----REALLY?
you are flying three miles above the ground going 120mph with clouds and friends in bad ass wingsuits and you care about THE crooked SHAPE YOU MAKE?
go line dancing or something.

so, yes, to recap. what do I dislike about skydiving?

Skydivers.

I can remember when I met my first freeflyer.
He explained it to me and I said, "how do you turn points ?"
"you don't. you just freefly. we don't touch anyone"

Basically, only 50 people in the world had the talent to touch others safely while headdown.

Now there are freefly world records because people wanted
to work at perfecting their skills and flying with like-minded people.

Many people go to an organizer to improve their skills
and challenge themselves. To learn how to do something better.

If people don't want to do RW, they shouldn't. Is somebody forcing them ? So why do they cry about others having different goals and expectations ?
The rest of the world isn't going to stand still so that the precious snowflake is happy.

Anyone can gather like-minded people together and
do whatever style of skydive they want.

I hate the after jumping stink that's in my car after I've left my gear and jumpsuit in it for a few hours. My kids used to complain, "ew, Mama, it smells like skydiving in here!" :ph34r:

Oh trust me skydiving gear is NOTHING compared to paintball gear at the end of the day. leave that stuff in the car for a few hours and id rather walk home than smell that stuff. let them get a whiff of some gear after a tourney, theyll never complain again. i PROMISE :D

touche' good sir! ill tie the smell of rotting neoprene with rotting pball gear, i havent dove in a while so i forgot how bad that one does stink, haha.

You wanna smell something bad. Try a wet suit from SCUBA diving when you silted out inside of a wreck on a hot day. Nothing like neoprene drying out with fish poop and who knows what else in your wet suit.

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I haven't even jumped yet, but the one thing I see that I do not like is the Alcohol culture.

Beer rules? Lame imo. However, I will follow them, just don't expect anything besides cold water or gatorade.

As far as thel drug use during jumping, I don't want nothing to do with it, and will do my best to stay away from people and dz's that are cool with it.

Grouchy & sour people, especially pilots and guys/gals in the manifest.

I can understand the pressure they're under, especially the pilots, but being cautious/safety-conscious and an a$$hole are 2 different things.

Kudos to people in the manifest for putting up with alot of crap but not everybody is alike so it's unbecoming if they snap for at you for no reason just because of something that happened earlier in the manifest.

Of course, there are always every type of people no matter where or what sports one dabs in. Skydiving is definitely a sport with many more friendly people than unfriendly ones.

Grouchy & sour people, especially pilots and guys/gals in the manifest.

I can understand the pressure they're under, especially the pilots, but being cautious/safety-conscious and an a$$hole are 2 different things.

Kudos to people in the manifest for putting up with alot of crap but not everybody is alike so it's unbecoming if they snap for at you for no reason just because of something that happened earlier in the manifest.

Of course, there are always every type of people no matter where or what sports one dabs in. Skydiving is definitely a sport with many more friendly people than unfriendly ones.

You ever worked at manifest? I think it would give you a new perspective
This shit, right here, is OK

That's irrelevant whether I worked in manifest or not.

I can see and understand how it can be, hectic and confusing, especially stressful. No different from working somewhere else (restaurant/waiting, front office at doctor's office, etc.).

The manifest is usually the first point of business contact for people interested in patronizing their dropzone. Dropzones stand to lose alot if customers are not given proper treatment/respect.

When people are hired specifically to work with people, they are supposed to have better-than-decent people-skill and understanding of relationship between business and customers.

I can understand losing temper or patience with a stubborn/irrational customer but there's no need to extend the attitude to next unsuspecting customer or the same customer at a later time.

Just take a look at reviews here on dropzone.com for dropzones, I'm sure you will see some compliants about how they are treated by people in the manifest.

It's not uncommon to encounter the attitude, "I don't care if you don't come back so I don't see the need to be kind to you, blah".

This is not a blanket coverage of all people who work in manifest. Fortunately, I have encountered much more people who are hard working and glad to be where they are than those who are not.

I can see problems emerging if a jumper or a worker at a DZ has been asked to fill in the spot temporarily. The person probably had not been given proper training beforehand. This is an incident waiting to happen if the person has undermined the demand of the job.

Just my $0.02 worth. Take it or not, up to you!

Cisco I have to agree with you. I've learned over the years to walk on eggshells with manifest. It seems that I've come across more of the "grumpy" ones than friendly ones.

A few years back I was jumping at a now closed DZ. I was bringing tons of "friend" tandems in. At least 2 per week. I even paid for most of them myself. I just loved introducing new people to the sport.

I didn't ask for a discount, or a referral fee. The only thing I asked for was to be on the same load.

In several instances I was told by manifest that I couldn't be on the load. When I tried to discuss it manifest said "we don't work for you and we schedule the tandems where they fit with the staff."

I discussed it with the DZO and his attitude wasn't any better..I told L.B. to shove his DZ up his #$%. (pompous bastard does get his eventually)

Any real business man treats all the customers well in all aspects of the business. I don't know if DZO's just don't get it or don't care.

Maybe they don't realize that their employees are not getting the job done correctly. I work in a consulting capacity with physicians. Often the best doctors have the rudest staff and don't even realize it. They are so caught up in their own duties.

anyway....My rant for the week....:P

Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

Well some guys do try to run off as many from the sport as they can. Referring to those with less than perfect air brushed beauty that look like models as "fat chiks" does tend to dampen some womens desire to be with a group that is that shallow.

Jbag loves "fat chicks" and he is not alone.:ph34r:

Well some guys do try to run off as many from the sport as they can. Referring to those with less than perfect air brushed beauty that look like models as "fat chiks" does tend to dampen some womens desire to be with a group that is that shallow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I got thick skin long ago...

But for the young women who are subjected to the crap they are every day about how they look... trust me.. its tough out there when you get some butt munch... who goes all psycho when he gets shot down.

That is an issue that a lot of women have esteem issues with and the guys with low self esteem know that and use it viciously when they go into attack mode.

Princesses. It's a sport. Other people aren't here to
make them happy.

Hold on there, Bill....

I need a horney little Jewish Princess
With Titanic tits
And sandblasted zits
A horney little Jewish Princess
She can even be poor....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That use to be called big boned. :D

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That use to be called big boned. :D

Yeah but what can you do.... Its tough out there with so many guys wanting tiny little women that resemble the dancing boys of Iran rahter than the full figured bodies that MOST females have.

So you just learn to deal with reality...

I guess its better than worrying about all the underendowed males we have to deal with.

Blown bootie jumpsuits with holes in the pockets
White dust that gets in my nose and eyesockets
Black bags of lead shot all tied up in string
These are a few of my least favorite things

Subzero skydives from planes without heaters
Slot switcher dirt dives on broken-wheeled creepers
Swoopers that run into people and things

LMAO! :D

LOL!

Packing! Definitely packing. It almost caused me to sell my gear and call it quits after two seaons. I'm astounded that there are only two other posts in this thread regarding the same issue. Guess it's not a big deal for most other jumpers.??

I enjoy packing. I remember not liking it at one point. but now, it is a meditation. Make peace with packing, you are reverse-engineering a parachute jump. it's pretty cool.

I also have nearly 800 BASE pack jobs (I regularly pack for friends) and those take 20-30min.

-SPACE-

...I need a horney little Jewish Princess
With Titanic tits
And sandblasted zits
A horney little Jewish Princess
She can even be poor....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

So long as she does it with four on the floor!

A grinder, a bumper with a pre-moistened dumper...

(Love the kazoos.)

Cheers.
Jon S.

I enjoy packing. I remember not liking it at one point. but now, it is a meditation. Make peace with packing, you are reverse-engineering a parachute jump. it's pretty cool...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I learned to enjoy packing because it means either 1) I've jumped recently or 2) I'll be jumping again soon.

The rigs have been packed now for six weeks. Every week I think I'll get to the DZ but life/weather modifies my mortal plans. Try again next week...

Cheers,
Jon