RUN_FMX

How seriously do you take skydiving?

Please take that question the right way

Obviously while you are skydiving you have to take it seriously.

What I mean is, are you the type of jumper whos life revolves around skydiving? Everything you do and everything you say is to achieve the ultimate goal of getting to the dz and jumping this weekend.

Or are you more of a 'When I can afford it I love nothing more than jumping but I have a family and a career and some things are just more important than my skydiving hobby' kinda person?

I pretty much plan my work around my skydiving calendar. I other words: I told my boss that skydiving is more important than work.

I am the boss. I told my guys Skydiving is more important than work! I skydive, they work!
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

In your opinion, what's the difference between a skydiver and someone who skydives?

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me!

Someone who skydives is a skydiver. Period. There are degrees of dedication, but they're all skydivers.

The term "hard core" seems to be appropriate for someone who plans their life around skydiving, rather than who plans their skydiving around life.

Me, I'm type 2. But I've been jumping long enough that I'd just laugh if someone said I wasn't "dedicated" enough to be a skydiver :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I pretty much plan my work around my skydiving calendar. I other words: I told my boss that skydiving is more important than work.

I pretty much told my boss the same thing, heh. I get every Friday off just to jump.

Ok... I just gotta ask. What your definition of a skydiver? In your opinion, what's the difference between a skydiver and someone who skydives?

Anyone that makes 1 jump and stays "current." Whatever current means... After my second skydive, I beat myself up for landing in a tree. My instructor calmed reminded me that few people in the world can claim 2 minutes of freefall and call themselves a skydiver B|.
Don't forget to pull!

Pretty much all of my weekends and any vacations are taken up by skydiving. Most of the skydiving that I do is all team training and getting ready to compete at USPA Nationals. This will be my 4th year competing at Nationals.

I am a competitor and competition is what gets me going.

I used to spend every weekend at the dz, both Saturday and Sunday.

My friends would invite me to do other things and I was
never available. So, eventually they quit inviting me.

At some point, I decided that there needed to be a balance. If an opportunity presents itself, I do other things now. Of course, my advantage is that I live in a
warm weather state, so I can always jump tomorrow.

I try to maintain a healthy balance of skydiving and life. I am a goal oriented skydiver. Right now I am working on my C license. I have set goals for the number of jumps per month to get to that goal. Currently, life has gotten in the way and I am 8 jumps behind the August goal (which was 12) and I will try and get half those done.

But I have a wife who supports jumping (encourages might be a better word) but doesn't and I spend time with her.

I have grandkids who live 3 hours away that I want to visit, and there is a DZ 14 miles from them, so I can seek away.

My mother is on hospice, so I have responsibilities for her care.

And I work, particularly Sundays (though I can sometimes slip in for an afternoon).

Skydiving is important. I talk about it, read it, do it. Yet, I am more than just a skydiver.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

This is something I have given a lot of thought to. Though I'm not sure my thoughts are very well organized.

I left the sport 9 years ago because life was getting in the way. See, I've always been an all or nothing guy. Problem is, you often sacrifice so much that way.

Family, relationships, friends. My wife wasn't supportive and we ended up splitting for a year. I changed jobs and relocated so I could be near a turbine.
I left the sport after a non-skydiving related injury. It left a whole in me. It's very difficult to stay close friends with your skydiving friends once you've quit jumping.

I have just come back into the sport about 20 jumps ago. I'm trying to keep balance.

I only have a weekend DZ near me, I'm trying to only spend one day per weekend at the DZ.

I find myself thinking about skydiving all the time. I read everything I can get my hands on. I watch all the gear ads. I bore all my non-jumping friends...lol

I also am a person that needs a goal all the time. So I'm looking at instructor rating classes and thinking about what direction I want to go. Instructor, TM, Camera, RW team, learn to Freakfly, looking at rigger courses... It's ridiculous...lol

It's hopeless, I'm a skydiver...
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I have been in the sport for only two years. Last winter I thought I needed a way to get more involved with the club and skydiving in general. I went to rigger school and got my wish. I spend Saturday's at the DZ. Have dinner with the group on most Tuesday nights. I pack reserves and do rigger stuff during the week too.

No joke, just yesterday I was telling my girlfriend that next Saturday I was ground crewing for our demo team Saturday night. Leaving at sun up on Sunday for Ft Dodge to spend Sunday and Monday at Couch Freaks. She got pissy and walked away.

Later, and this isn't the first time, she threw out the ultimatum again...skydive less, or find a new place to live. I started looking for a new place to live today! Screw this...SEE YA...!!!

This is not a hobby, it's a life-style.

Personally I can't live without going to a dropzone or tunnel each and every weekend. My life officially revolves around skydiving!

I try and jump as much as my $$ will allow! Ever since I have purchased my rig I have almost never missed a weekend at the DZ.

I'm serious to a point where I've began to actually cook more often to save money.....and I'm a horrible cook! Skydiving for me is a lifestyle not a hobby
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Please take that question the right way

Obviously while you are skydiving you have to take it seriously.

What I mean is, are you the type of jumper whos life revolves around skydiving? Everything you do and everything you say is to achieve the ultimate goal of getting to the dz and jumping this weekend.

This was me back in the late 90's when I was single.

Or are you more of a 'When I can afford it I love nothing more than jumping but I have a family and a career and some things are just more important than my skydiving hobby' kinda person?

This has been me for most of the 2000's and will be for a good while longer. It's all about priorities and putting things in their proper order.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban