DHolland

Skydiving with a cold

Today was my first jump in over two years. It was my 27th jump and I felt great out in the open blue sky.

That was until 6.5k, suddenly my left eye felt like a ice pick was shoved through it and the cold air was excruciating. I still have pain behind my eye now and I was wondering if any of you have experienced this or something similar. Do you know how long this pain will last?

To anybody ever considering jumping through sickness...Don't do it.

On a side note its great to be back in the sport I can finally semi afford again.

When I first started jumping, the day after I'd start getting dizzy. A few more times of doing this I developed an inner ear infection. It turned out that my problem was similar to something I experienced when I flew on a plane for the first time in years: a sinus infection. Something about the air pressure dropping would do a number on my sinuses. After some antibiotics and a lot of rest, I no longer have this problem. My left ear still kinda hurts every now and then, but it's slight and passing.

I have never experienced anything health related while jumping, however. The only thing that I can add to your recommendation about not jumping while you're sick is this: don't jump when you're sleep deprived. I learned this lesson Friday [:/]

Don't forget to pull!

Had a similar experience this past weekend. I thought I was over my cold days ago, but there's nothing like going to altitude to let you know you're wrong about that. Ears felt odd for the rest of the day, and I got a headache.

Decided not to jump anymore that day.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

If you do feel that pain, (surprised Grim didn;t point this out, he scuba's) just like a scub diver going deeper, pinch your nose and blow into it, it is he presure change causing the pain!

But knowingly locking yourself into a capsule of your friends, while sick with a virus??? Not kewl!

Don't do it.

I learned the hard way once. Never again. B|

We tried to tell you... just never listen do you?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hello,
If you jump w/congested sinuses. You can perforate your ear drum. That hurts. It's also a rough ride: nausea/vertigo/& grounded for months... Squeezing your nose, & blowing won't clear it if you're too congested. Blowing your nose like that too hard can also do damage. My advice comes from Nursing experience: Don't do it. Wait the week or two until you're clear again.

Don't do it.

I learned the hard way once. Never again. B|

We tried to tell you... just never listen do you?

:D I had 100+ jumps at the time. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey D, at least you didn't have a bunch of snot leave your nose during freefall, land and have someone notice a bunch of brown stuff on your goggles.

In my case, I had blood running up my face from my nose. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban