pkrfce

MOTORCYCLING to the DZ

skyjumpenfool, I understand (I think) that you are not putting a rig in a saddlbag, but using the tops of the bags and the passenger seat as a 'table' to hold your gear bag. I just replied to your post because it was at the bottom.

That is correct sir! I don't like[:/] to carry gear on the bike, but, I'd rather take the bike!:)) to transport my gear for me.

As a last resort, I strap it on and go. But, always in a water tight gear bag, securely strapped on. Although, I gotta tell you, camera gear has presented a whole new set of issues????? B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Guess im just gonna find a buddy with a cage and have them transport my gear. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Ignore the comments from the “cagers”!B| Carying gear can be done easily, just be smart about it and get a good gear bag to protect it. I’ve been using a cargo net and it works very good for just about everything. Like I said above, my Givi bags make a good platform to set the gear on top of. :)
Again, the key is to keep the whole mess right side up!
:)

Spending a week in intensive care getting plates installed in your head to hold your skull back together and severe road rash addressed and then seeing multiple buddies go through the same thing will eventually change your opinion on not wearing proper riding attire. :P

He has a helmet on?? If you think that leather will keep the road rash off you if you go down, you got another thing coming. I been in three bike accidents and two of them I had leather on (no skid plates). The road rash was still there.

Depends in part on speed and other factors. A friend went down recently, and got road rash on butt, leg, and hands -- jeans and no gloves :|. No rash on upper body, feet, and no bump on head: good mesh jacket, boots, and helmet.

We live in Houston; temps are in the high 90's in the daytime right now (mid to high 30'sC), and humidity is high. Leather would be seriously unpleasant.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I ride a sport bike so strapping it to the back would be pretty tough. Can you lock your bag shut?

You might be able to lock a fancy suitcase shut, but any time you leave your bike - longer than it takes to eat lunch - you should remove your gear from your bike and bring it inside.

Far too many enthusiastic amateur thieves will find it attractive. Too late those bungling amateur (thieves) will discover they cannot "fence" your gear and it will land in a dumpster.

Depends in part on speed and other factors. A friend went down recently, and got road rash on butt, leg, and hands -- jeans and no gloves :|. No rash on upper body, feet, and no bump on head: good mesh jacket, boots, and helmet.

We live in Houston; temps are in the high 90's in the daytime right now (mid to high 30'sC), and humidity is high. Leather would be seriously unpleasant.

Wendy P.

you usually get road rash on where the road meets the body.

No kidding. His jacket was messed up. His body just wasn't messed up under it.

He might not have been going as fast as some folks, but nothing will protect you at some speeds.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Skyjumpenfool! Not to rag...but where are your leathers? Just shorts and a cutoff? You're killin' me smalls!

Personal preference, I guess... just don't come crying to me when you biff in without proper gear:S

Being a sanctimonious twat ... I always wear good gear and anyone getting on the back of my bikes must too - or no ride.

As for the poster who thinks that wearing good gear doesn't stop road rash . true, to an extent but it doesn't half reduce it and increases your overall chances. So it's a REALLY poor excuse:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

That pic was taken a couple weeks ago when the temps were really high... I usually wear leather coat and heavy blue jeans. The worst part of this day was the sun burn.;)

Oh... and, I've been down 3 times over 60mph. 2 of the 3, dressed just like that pic. Each time I walked away without a scratch. Except for the time I had my leather coat on (small cut on chest). Go figure???

Anyway, we're talking rigs on bikes. Bike atire is for another thread and another forum. B|

Hi Pokerface,
Bad idea, friend. I've been riding for almost thirty years, now. Something many riders seem to forget about: What if you end up hitting the ground? That would be an expensive slide across the pavement. Plus, the large hump of the rig might help cause a serious neck injury during a tumble. I don't ride my bike to the DZ for convenience' sake. Don't they have lockers you can rent on-site? 24hr on-site security person? Unless the DZ was very close to home, over low traffic volume back roads. I wouldn't do it.

Serious answers only cause this is open to a lot of ridicule.

Rig on my back....me on my motorcycle. Good idea....or bad? Has anyone done it?

I think what the thread has stated is its a bad idea..

BUT if you do decide to do it...

DUUUUUUDE

Get a Go Pro Hero HD 1080p camera and mount it on the bike facing to the rear.

You have GOTTA get good video... it would be rude not to:ph34r:

Skyjumpenfool! Not to rag...but where are your leathers? Just shorts and a cutoff? You're killin' me smalls!

Personal preference, I guess... just don't come crying to me when you biff in without proper gear:S

Being a sanctimonious twat ... I always wear good gear and anyone getting on the back of my bikes must too - or no ride.

As for the poster who thinks that wearing good gear doesn't stop road rash . true, to an extent but it doesn't half reduce it and increases your overall chances. So it's a REALLY poor excuse:S

Most people dont understand how leatehrs are MEANT to work.

Just imagine how much road rash you would suffer if the leathers didnt wear away in a slide.
All that worm leather is now substuituted by soft sensitive skin.
Once that skin is worn through (about 0.5 seconds) it starts on your muscles and subcut. tissues.
Ballistic nylons, kevlar or leather, i dont care where you live (i live in a desert) if you are not wearing one of those I'll stand back and point and go HA HA at the big hole on your thigh where your leg muscles used to be.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most people dont understand how leatehrs are MEANT to work.

Just imagine how much road rash you would suffer if the leathers didnt wear away in a slide.
All that worm leather is now substuituted by soft sensitive skin.
Once that skin is worn through (about 0.5 seconds) it starts on your muscles and subcut. tissues.
Ballistic nylons, kevlar or leather, i dont care where you live (i live in a desert) if you are not wearing one of those I'll stand back and point and go HA HA at the big hole on your thigh where your leg muscles used to be.

Exact.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yada, yada, yada!! :) (hell, before you were born). :P

I agree, dress for success. But I reserve the right to ride naked!!:)
This thred, however, is about unguarded rigs on bikes. I say, just put it into a back pack style gear bag or any gear bag straped onto the back somehow. Simple, safe, easy soulution.

[:/] Never ride with an unprotected rig on your back!
[:/] Never strap, tie, velcroe, tape, or in anyway restrict the rig from opening just to ride home!
;) Ride naked whenever possible!!!!!!
B| That is all!;)