TheOneBigMike

420lb male skydiving. Possible? Yes, but how?

Hi there, new to the dropzone. I was referred here by the two dopzones closest to me (Alberta). I'm hoping someone with some experience dealing with this scenario will chime in. I'm a 22 year old, 6' 420 lb male. I'm actually in excellent physical shape considering my size I have been contemplating for some time now, and finally have said enough is enough, I want to do it. My problem has been finding equipment and instructors to accomodate. I am at the complete understandng that I will have to purchase my own custom made gear, and am willing. I'm looking for assistance locating the gear manufacturers that are willing to undertake this journey into unknown territory as well as the instructor willing to teach someone so eager to learn. Have passport, will travel. If anyone has any information to offer, that would be greatly appreciated. [email]

Since you understand that sThere are quite a few difficulties to be faced, I'll mention one you may not have considered. At 420lbs and 6' you'll be falling at better than 150 miles per hour at your slowest. Not only will you have to find instructors who can fall that fast, but you'll need to remember that no gear was designed to open comfortably at those speeds.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I guess he could actually use a tandem drogue to stay stable and slow down a little.

I'd contact Bill Booth.
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

At 420 lbs I assume you are a body builder or other high muscle mass sport to be at that size and be in excellent shape considering your size.

Your options are almost non existent at that weight level for gear choices. Your normal sport gear is certified for usually no more then 300 lbs. Only options are going to be Military gear or Tandem rig converted to sport usage. To further complicate matters you are needing to look at the canopy sizes that each can hold. The typical student needs to start with a canopy square footage to exit ratio of around 1:1 or less. That means you are looking at needing a canopy that is 470 sq feet or larger.

There are no currently manufactured canopies that are near that size, most gear is smaller.

Use of a drogue really complicates issues by making your malfunction issues and possibilities of death increase. It will also prohibit your ability to jump with other skydivers. Use of a drogue is usually restricted to military applications or tandem skydiving both of which require passing additional training beyond basic skydiving to be able to use the much more complicated systems.

My personal opinion is that you need to look at losing as much of the weight as you can before you skydive, the higher the weight the more energy that you will have both in freefall and in landing. A landing that someone might just get grass stains on them can easily end up breaking your bones due to the higher energy inputs.

The point of contact I would refer you to on this is Jumpshack and Nancy who works there. They have said in the past they could basically help design a system that would help other large skydivers skydive, they might be able to help here too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just for reference, most DZs have aweight restriction of betwwen 220lbs and 240 lbs. There have been several threads along the same lines as this one, but those guys were all generally under 280lbs, typically in the 260 to 275lb range. All of those guys required special gear, and were limited to a handful of DZs that would train them at that weight.

You might be fighting an uphill battle. As mentioned earlier, you'll be falling at a tremendous speed, probably in excess of 150 or 160 mph, and that puts you close to the maximum deployment speed for many main and reserver canopies. Even if they don't blow up on opening, there is a good chance that the openings will be very hard, along the lines of injury-causing hard.

If you can get this done, get video, and post it on Youtube, because it will be a world record for sure.

I guess he could actually use a tandem drogue to stay stable and slow down a little.

I thunk the same thing; but what about when he wants to do something other than a purely vertical trajectory down a static tube of air? Can't really do that with a drogue.

I have no doubt you are in good health but you should really consider getting rid of the weight or you soon won't be. Skydiving is a pretty safe sport overall but with your size you probably lack the agility that it often demands.

You could probably go with some of the other recommendations to get in a few jumps but I don't think it would be enjoyable with some of the physical limitations your size requires.

I personally know a skydiver who wishes to remain anonymous about his past weight but he was over 500lbs at one time. He worked his way down to 240 for his 1st jump and is active today at 210.

Good luck.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Mike, I'm sorry to tell you this but at 420#s, skydiving is not for you. It's not a matter of health or physical shape - there is simply not gear designed or rated for a person of your size.

I know this is not what you want to hear.

Can a square peg be made to fit into a round hole? Perhaps, but it's never a good idea to go forcing things.

I wish you well, and I'll not be at all disappointed to be proven wrong about this, because skydiving is a lot of fun. There are plenty other things in this world that are also fun, however.

Good luck and best wishes.

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Since you understand that sThere are quite a few difficulties to be faced, I'll mention one you may not have considered. At 420lbs and 6' you'll be falling at better than 150 miles per hour at your slowest. Not only will you have to find instructors who can fall that fast, but you'll need to remember that no gear was designed to open comfortably at those speeds.

I can catch him....:)

You might try looking thru the skydiving adventures of ATSAUBREY

He has not been online in a while.. but he was a pretty big boy too.

Look at these threads too

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=741127#741127

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=683478#683478

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=689484#689484

You might try looking thru the skydiving adventures of ATSAUBREY

He has not been online in a while.. but he was a pretty big boy too.

He had an exit weight of 360 lbs, this guy would be more than 100lbs more, closer to 140 lbs more. Figure a body weight of 420 lbs, plus a converted tandem rig would probably weigh in around 75lbs, for an exit weight just shy of 500lbs.

I know a handful of jumpers with an exit weight of 140lbs, the difference between the two guys.

I remember Atsaubrey, and he may go down in history as the top end of how big a jumper could be. Anyone have any stories that can top a 360 lb exit weight? Modern day examples with square canopies?

I agree Andy, but it may be his only option to get some altitude.

I also agree with several other posters, as a former trauma nurse, doing anything at that weight is dangerous.

BUT!!! Most people think we're all insane adreniline junkies...so who am I to tell him to stay on the ground...lol

I wonder how many jump tickets he'll need??? I guess it depends on if Southwest Airlines is flying the jump plane...lol...I crack myself up...lol

I can catch him...

Smartass. You can pass him. ;)

Hey I caught Aubrey;)

I could not stay with him on my belly no matter how hard I arched... but in a sit... it was all good:)
I have video around here somewhere of a jump with him at Mesquite NV with some of the Flying Elvi.... and Bozo.... we did build a 5 way around him... but he kinda sunk out when we went to the second point.

That boy could FALL

I concur with some others that your best bet is to lose the weight. Even Ronnie Coleman at 5'11", body building superstar, only weighs in at about 315 in the off-season.

I suppose nothing is impossible and you may just find a manufacturer that would take on the challenge at the right price, who knows.

With all that said, my worry for you would be that you blow crazy money to do it only to find yourself getting bored and possibly lonely in short order due to not having people to jump with that can keep up with your rate.

Good luck either way.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

Regardless of whatever physical shape you're in, your weight alone severely limits your options as far as gear goes.

I don't think it's worth the expense to get gear customized for an extreme weight like that and then realize later it's not for you.

If you can drop at least 150-160 lbs, you'll arrive at the very limits of what very few DZs can accommodate as a student.

I might be a little off on the weight loss requirement, but I agree with everyone here that 420 is just way too much. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

me you bozo and this aubrey guy now that's a 4 way base the skinny sit flyers should love;)

Hell, the 6 way base for the 300 way world record event at Skydive Chicago in 1998 averaged 60 lbs of lead weight EACH! :o:S

You guys I don't think would have needed any. And only the head-downers would love you guys. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I remember Atsaubrey, and he may go down in history as the top end of how big a jumper could be. Anyone have any stories that can top a 360 lb exit weight? Modern day examples with square canopies?

I'm around 365 exit wt. closer to 375 with my wing suit. As for those guys saying this guy would fall at around 150, you're not even in the ballpark. At 420 lbs and 6' feet, this guy should be real close to 200 mph in a relaxed arch. With my free fly suit, my terminal is around 150, with t-shirt and shorts it averages around 167, and my best sustained belly speed was 227, those numbers were gathered from when I was a lot closer to 330 exit weight on a 5'11 frame.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I'm around 365 exit wt. closer to 375 with my wing suit.

Your wing suit weights ten pounds? Holy crap.

Even then, you're still 100+lbs lighter out the door then the OP. I was being conservative when I said 150 or 160mph, but I think you're right about the speeds. I've been on a 150mph tandem before, and that was about 450 lbs. with a drouge.

I know it sounds weird, but I guess the message to the OP is drop 100 or 120 lbs, and it can be done.

Could also perhaps try out some wind tunnel first prior to getting into skydiving. You could at least find out your fall rate and learn to fall stable.

Worst comes to worst if you can't end up skydiving you could always just be a tunnel rat and fly like crazy and have a damn good time!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp