CHRCNF

I believe I want to freefly...

I think it's more subjective than a simple jump number. I've been told more than a few times that it's detrimental to abandon belly flight too soon. There are jumpers with 200+ jumps that can't work well in RW because they didn't learn basic skills.

One jumper made a great point I think. Freeflying is simply the ability to fly with the body in all orientations. Belly flying is the most fundamental element of freeflying and must be developed before advancing to more complicated orientations like the sit.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I think it's more subjective than a simple jump number. I've been told more than a few times that it's detrimental to abandon belly flight too soon. There are jumpers with 200+ jumps that can't work well in RW because they didn't learn basic skills.

I have heard that too, but I don't buy it. As long as your survival belly skills are solid (ie. track and pull stable) I don;t see why you should have to wait to learn to sit fly. Just be aware that freeflying in groups is more dangerous than belly, so you should limit your FF to small groups (three or less) until you are solid and do not cork out.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I have heard that too, but I don't buy it. As long as your survival belly skills are solid (ie. track and pull stable) I don;t see why you should have to wait to learn to sit fly. Just be aware that freeflying in groups is more dangerous than belly, so you should limit your FF to small groups (three or less) until you are solid and do not cork out.

easier to fly on your back if you can fly on your belly....if you can figure out your belly flight, it will give you a good idea of how the air works and make it easier for you to balance, as well as its how you learn, you should have more situation awareness on your belly before moving onto a faster part of the jumping where many many people have forgot to pull and had a cypress fire or burned in. belly keeps it safe for a while.....
IHYD

i did my 25th (checkout) dive in a sit, and passed. front loop, back loop, 360left, 360 right. and stopped on heading! as long as you can track and are aware you will need to slow down before dumping you are fine to solo freefly. learn to backfly and how to recover without corking up bigtime and you will be on your way!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

easier to fly on your back if you can fly on your belly....if you can figure out your belly flight, it will give you a good idea of how the air works and make it easier for you to balance, as well as its how you learn, you should have more situation awareness on your belly before moving onto a faster part of the jumping where many many people have forgot to pull and had a cypress fire or burned in. belly keeps it safe for a while.....

I started learning FF at jump 46 I had done my SCR around 36 and felt comfortable on my belly. I think if FF is you want to do and you are proficient on your belly go for it. I'd recommend getting comfortable on your back so you don't cork out. and as far as group size I'd definitely keep to 2 or three ways with good fliers that can get out or your way if need be.. Good luck on the FF'ing. Do some tunnel if you can.

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

The sooner you start FF, the sooner you can start making fun of the RWers. :D

On a serious note... after you get comfortable (can hold it without corking) in your sit make sure you get an experienced FF'r to sit with you so they can tell you how shitty your sit is so you can make the appropriate corrections.

Ask them right away how to:

1. use your legs to make slight tweaks in your fall rate (you don't want to be going between sit and stand all the time)

2. not back slide

3. how to move forward (I've heard a bunch of advice on this) you may have to find the one that works best for you.

8. Learn all the shit between 3 and 8 that I can't tell you about. ;)

You'll be docking in no time.

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----