BBowden85

Gear Prices

Everything has a range, and if you include new and used gear, this might be close -

Skydiving Rigs - with an AAD, figure on $2500 on up to $9000. Without an ADD, maybe could get down to $1200 up to $7500.

Base Rigs, from $500 to $3500.

Jumpsuits, anywhere from $50 to $450.

Helmets - $30 to $300.

Everything has a range, and if you include new and used gear, this might be close -

Skydiving Rigs - with an AAD, figure on $2500 on up to $9000. Without an ADD, maybe could get down to $1200 up to $7500.

Base Rigs, from $500 to $3500.

Jumpsuits, anywhere from $50 to $450.

Helmets - $30 to $300.

+1

And I'll add a couple other basics here:
Altimeter: $75-300
Goggles: $10-250

Again, the quoted post above is pretty much right on for the highs and lows that i have seen too, and I agree w/ idea to check the classifieds and see the range and what the different prices get you there.

Just wanted to add the other basics- alti and goggles- feels good as a student approaching licensing to have and start accumulating a few of your own skydiving "somethings," and you don't necessarily have to invest too much to get those things. Sense of ownership even if you are not financially or mentally ready to buy a complete rig, or even if you have done so but are waiting 20+ weeks for the manufacturer to finish your custom rig lol, etc.

I think it is nice to have those little things be yours and be to your liking asap/over time in your early jumping if you know you'll be continuing that is.. I'd say maybe once well through most of your early progression or AFF, you should for sure have a "real" logbook purchased and filled in, and maybe consider starting with something like a $10-20 pair of normal skydiving goggles. Getting closer to licensing and certain you will continue in the sport if at all feasible, then maybe things like alti, cheaper used or new (i.e. pro-tec) helmet, jumpsuit.

And then depending on your instructors' feedback and your mind state and finances, discuss when it makes sense to purchase a rig! (typically done anytime at or after A licensing it seems, but can vary) Also ask about their rental policies for recent graduates and costs there, options there, etc. at your dz, as even if you custom order a rig you may be waiting awhile while it is made for you and jumping rental in the interim- which will likely, at least at a smaller or mid-size dz, be the same or similar gear to what you used as a student!

With a rig for jumping (skydiving)--
Don't forget about things like those which need replacing (lines/risers need replacing regularly, etc.), the maintenance (repack of reserve $40-50 to rigger on regular cycle of 180 days I believe, and after a cutaway obviously; AAD maintenance ex. every 4 years with Cypres plus batteries, etc.) and the cost of replacing lost or damaged parts over time- perhaps a cutaway or reserve handle get lost/dropped from 3k- those things ain't cheap either ($35-75 each from what I have seen)! Pilot chute or BOC might wear out more occasionally while the rest of the rig is fine, also more costs to replace. Some stitching or sewing or patching work may need to be done at some point, somewhere, paid and done by a rigger. Etc. So make sure you are realistic about the other expenses that go along with owning and jumping a rig!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I hope your not even thinking about BASE yet!:S

No I'm def not thinking about BASE jumping yet. I want to get into the skydiving world and learn as much as I can especially about my gear and precision landing. I've been doing alot of reading and I don't want to be one of the people who jump into it thinking I know everything and end up severely hurt or killed right off the bat. I def want to take my time and give myself years of experience in skydiving before I BASE jump

Hey, I just wanted to add that I've been checking through classifieds for gear lately, and davelepka's summary is spot on with the prices I've seen (for used gear).... I've found that even the new jumpsuits and helmets (things you might not want to buy used) are on the lower end of the aforementioned prices. :)

I hope your not even thinking about BASE yet!:S

All the best muppets are BASE jumping after 50 skydives. (and they are all Muppets).

I also wanted to ask what this "muppet" thing means.... I've seen it before, but I can't figure out for the life of me what it refers to! Is it a term for BASE jumpers?

I also wanted to ask what this "muppet" thing means.... I've seen it before, but I can't figure out for the life of me what it refers to! Is it a term for BASE jumpers?

Just from one "source".

#2 sounds about right per the post you quoted.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity